D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Nobody is saying that they are Earth humans. Nobody. We are saying that the fantasy humans are physically capable of what Earth humans are and do not possess any inherent to the race supernatural abilities like Earth humans do not. It doesn't go beyond what is inherent to humans on Earth.

In the fantasy setting the fantasy humans can learn to use external magic which is nothing inherent to the human race. Any race can learn to be a wizard. In the fantasy setting fantasy humans can have their blood altered or mixed with other things to allow sorcery, which also is not inherent to being human. Any race can be a sorcerer.
Separately. And again. Humans are also 1 of 9 races in the PHB.

Nothing. It..............has..................nothing.................to.......................do.....................with...................being..........................human.

How do I know this? Because if you put an Earth human on Toril, he could be a wizard or sorcerer.
Why?

Edit: (whisper: the answer is because the game says so.)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Why?

Edit: (whisper: the answer is because the game says so.)
For the same reason that it has nothing to do with elf, dwarf, giant, warforged, halfling or any other race. Race has nothing to do with class. Hell, they even took Bladesingers away from elves and let anyone be one now.

And yes, it is because they said so. If they had said in the rules that humans in D&D have the magical ability to fly, they would be bog standard Earth humans in every way except that some time in their past they gained the ability to fly. D&D doesn't give humans any supernatural abilities, though, so they do not have them.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ok, well that's on me then, I never really understood what people meant when they say "PC's aren't special" (obviously), because it seemed to fly in the face of what I could grok from the reality of the game itself.

Still though. Player characters nearly always have crazy abilities. You'd think that'd be called out in universe somewhere.
To some people PCs are not special in any way. They are the same as NPC Bob the fighter at the smithy. Bob can get exp and level up just the same as PCs can. Any NPC in the world can just pick up a class and go out adventuring.

To other people, like me, PCs are special. PCs in my game are destined(though they can fail to reach that destiny) for greatness. That's why they have PC classes and gain power(level up) so quickly. Now, there are NPCs who are also special and have destinies. BBEGs being one type. Other adventurers being another. But those folks are rare. The overwhelming majority of humans(and other races) have no class(hur hur). They are just 1d4 hit point 0 levels and hit dice individuals who have a job of some sort, like being farmers, mayors, smiths, etc.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Would..

"Players should keep in mind that, while in many ways the setting for their adventures may resemble Earth..such setting are not of Earth and may differ in important and unexpected ways. The DM will help them navigate those differences as they arise"

..suffice?
Page number and book?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because folks peg physical limitations for all races to Earth humans, despite them..

1. Not being on Earth, and
2. Not being Human
I've never seen this from anyone. Not once have I ever seen someone come and say that elves shouldn't have low light vision and other supernatural abilities because Earth human. Not once have I ever seen someone say that Goliaths shouldn't have huge and strong be part of that race because Earth human. It just doesn't happen.

Now I HAVE seen people say that the non-humans are just humans with pointy ears and whatnot, because we are incapable of truly playing them as a race that is truly not human. That's because we the players are human so our race's perspectives, morals and attitudes are all that we know when we roleplay, but that's roleplay and not the physical or supernatural limitations of those races.

Remove ads