D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

To which I say, phooey. If they want to retcon stuff, they can, but until I see it, I say it's official. If the Forgotten Realms isn't the same place I've been playing in for the past 30 ish years then what's my investment in the setting?
If we are talking about FR, than FR lore presumably applies unless retconned. But generally speaking, FR lore, particularly from previous editions, has very little impact on the rules in the PHB, which is setting-agnostic.

because the narrative justification for fighter and rogue is skill, honed and refined to an extent the other classes haven't, the other classes rely on alternative power sources to achieve their abilities which is why it's specifically called out on them, as they're accessing something that the masses don't usually have, but everyone has the ability to train their capabilities.
I'd agree that this can be the narrative justification, and it's the one I prefer, but I'm open to others.

I'd also note that this narrative justification leaves room for supernatural ability, just filtered through a lens of supernatural level of personal skill rather than a supernatural external power source.

So wait, are we saying that if a new edition comes out, all the old lore from previous editions is no longer relevant and should be considered thrown out? I spent a lot of time reading those books and learning about the history of the game's settings. It's all a part of D&D in my opinion.
More or less. It retains the same basic elements, but they get reinterpreted. It's like how Batman comics, Burton's Batman, Nolan's Batman etc have the same characters and the same basic setup, but are not continuation of each other.

Remathilis

Legend
I'd agree that this can be the narrative justification, and it's the one I prefer, but I'm open to others.

I'd also note that this narrative justification leaves room for supernatural ability, just filtered through a lens of supernatural level of personal skill rather than a supernatural external power source.
That works fine as long as fighters still remain in the realm of plausible. It fails when they start to fly.

That works fine as long as fighters still remain in the realm of plausible. It fails when they start to fly.
I find the realm of the plausible to be exceedingly broad within a fantasy setting.

I don't have much of a cutoff point as long as the abilities are roughly balanced in terms of scope, relevance, and potence with what other PC classes are doing.

Remove ads