• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Just no. If you're given power by a demon or a fey, you're a warlock. If you make a pact for power, you're a warlock. If you're given power by a god, you're a cleric.
Again
Sorcerers and Warlocks are both beings infused with magic.

But Warlocks have Pact Magic. And you only get Pact Magic by making a pact.

If a demon or fey dumps magic in you but doesn't make or allow a pact beforehand, any magical powers you get is traditional long rest spellcasting magic.

Pact Magic and Traditional Spellcasting are different magics.

Again
Yes. Thus they're the same thing and should be combined.

If a demon or fey dumps magic in you but doesn't make or allow a pact beforehand, any magical powers you get is traditional long rest spellcasting magic.

This is just "they're different because they're different," but not how they're different. It is meaningless and circular.

Also, we already learned that draconic sorcerers can gain their powers via a pact, thus they should have pact magic, no?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I think the main reason the Cleric doesn't have Pact Magic has more to do with legacy than anything else. Making a pact with a deity and drawing upon that power for miracles is a belief that exists in our world, and channel divinity is a similar ability.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think the main reason the Cleric doesn't have Pact Magic has more to do with legacy than anything else. Making a pact with a deity and drawing upon that power for miracles is a belief that exists in our world, and channel divinity is a similar ability.
Deities can revoke Cleric Powers.
Deities can't revoke Warlock Pacts unless you are the God of Magic or Pacts or Something related.

D&D is kinda based on Clerics being beholden to the whims and will of their gods out of fear of losing power.

Technically gods can make warlocks.
For some reason they rarely ever do. :unsure:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Deities can revoke Cleric Powers.
Deities can't revoke Warlock Pacts unless you are the God of Magic or Pacts or Something related.
Can they? In 4e they couldn't, and I don't recall seeing a single line of text in 5e talking about ex-Clerics.

EDIT: sorry, I quoted the whole post and not just the part I was replying to.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Again

yeah, sorcerers are like when the magical creature just wires you straight into the national power grid.

warlocks are like when the magical creature is your contracted energy provider but you have to call them up every time you need your electricity turned on for an hour

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yes. Thus they're the same thing and should be combined.

This is just "they're different because they're different," but not how they're different. It is meaningless and circular.

Also, we already learned that draconic sorcerers can gain their powers via a pact, thus they should have pact magic, no?

They are different to give different mechanical play styles to players.

D&D's entire magic system and multiple castersis designed to give people different mechanical play styles. Combining the two classes is just removing playstyles that people love.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads