D&D (2024) One thing that Rangers need in 1D&D if they will keep spellcasting for rangers.

As rangers are should be some kind of outdoor, guerrilla, stealth warriors, and WotC obviously cannot make rangers without spells,

Rangers need a new 1st level ability, same as aberrant mind sorcerers and their psionic spells.

New ability:
Covert spellcasting:
Ranger can cast spells that are prepared/known by ranger class with ignoring Somatic, Verbal and Material components that are not consumed in spellcasting.
I'm not seeing the need TBH. I do not view spellcasting in stealth is not a vital part of the Ranger toolkit. If you want to play some kind of outdoor, guerrilla, stealth warrior without spells, you can do that, but if you want the power and utility of spells by playing a Ranger, you should be subject to their normal restrictions.
If you want to stay in stealth as a Ranger, you can just . . . not . . . cast a spell.

I'm not a fan of giving out free subtle spell metamagics. Spell components, including them making it obvious that you are casting a spell, are some of the few restrictions that spells still have.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ranger Talents that allow Rangers to replicate spell via skill use
eg by studying a Target for 10 minutes you gain an insight bonus to its behaviour. You deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack, and you have advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check you make to find it.

Or
You take 10 minutes and a length of string to rig an Alarm against unwanted intrusion. Choose an area within range that is no larger than a 20-foot cube. The alarm may be audible or visual and alerts you whenever a creature enters the warded area.

or
You can roll Animal Handling check to convince a beast that you mean it no harm…

or
You call on your understanding of nature and tracking (Survival) skill to locate a desired plant or creature

or
you can use a short length of reed and survival skill to breath underwater

anyway you get the point

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Am I the only one who thinks ranger spells should be loud?

I mean which class is most likely to scream a goblin cuss or draconic insult while shoooting magic at someone?

Ranger: Die you kipro mumulukkk!
Orc: Mama was not thorny!

Mephista

Adventurer
I think that Rangers, as "experts," should have a stronger tie between their magic and their signature skills. IE stealth, animal handling, survival, nature, etc.

I don't think that anyone would argue that bard magic isn't tied to their Performance skill or artificers their crafts, for instance. Arcane Tricksters seem to be very thematically tied to the concept of Sleight of Hand.

Remove ads