Online Tools

Ahzad

Explorer
I've been looking at the various online tools out there and thought I would solicit some advice on the subject.

I've been using roll20 for a while now and I like it. I especially like the integrated voice and video chat, though I have used discord as a back up during the occasional hiccup. I'm also fond of the dynamic lighting, and token animation. The real big negative with roll20 is you spend a lot of money on books and what not, and if something happens to the company then all that money you spent is gone b/c the company hosting all this folded up.

Recently I've also been looking at Fantasy Grounds. I like what I see in terms of it's functionality, it seems a lot more robust. The only negatives I can see are the lack of dynamic lighting, no integrated voice and video ( not a big thing b/c I use discord), and I've heard sometimes there can be issues getting folks connected to your game.

So those are the two VTTs I've been looking at and seeking opinions on.

Now for other tools I've been looking at for campaign management. I know I could use some stuff of my own devising for this but I like the idea of software for gamers by gamers for this kind of thing.

I've been using Obsidian Portal for sometime now. I'm familiar with it, but I had taken a break from it for a while and I'm noticing it doesn't seem to be working as well as it had before for some reason, but maybe it's just me.

I've also been looking at realmsworks, but I don't know much about it except for their videos, looks cool though.

The realmsworks folks also have an interesting character generation system, Herolabs I think that I don't know much about.

D&D Beyond's campaign manager is still very basic which is understandable b/c they'be been focusing on the character creation side of things first.

So what does the community think of these things? Pros? Cons?

Thanks for any feedback.

Remove ads