• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [OOC] A Light Hearted Princes of Elemental Evil Hack and Slash

Forged Fury

First Post
With proficiency in Athletics and an 18 Strength, I would take Shield Master. Paladins are super great at "boss" fighting. Knock down, advantage on the attack (or two attacks next level), improving chances to crit, which, if it happens, you would then use your highest spell slots to do extremely respectable damage.

Forged Fury

First Post
Shield Master just lets you do a bonus action shove. Shove is either knock prone or knock back 5' (which can also have its uses, like high walls). When they're prone, you get Advantage on the attack.

Forged Fury

First Post
If you're sword and boarding and casting spells with a somatic component, it's almost a requirement. I'd probably just burn most of my spells on Divine Smite.

Yeah. In fact, I kinda freaked out for a minute when I first read the War Caster description this evening; pretty sure Dent couldn't have cast while in combat since he sports a longsword and shield.

Forged Fury

First Post
You could cast Hunter's Mark, it's only Verbal (same with Faerie Fire). Bane does, indeed, require Verbal, Somatic, and Material components. The Somatic is generally the kicker. You can get a holy symbol on your shield to replace the Material Components. But, if you cast the spell before you enter combat, you can draw your sword afterward with no problem.

Or I could just not worry about the damned combat casting and use the spell slots to power Divine Smite.

The holy symbol shtick is, admittedly, frustrating. I've never envisioned Dent as a devout of a god. He's perfectly paladin-y without needing a deity. He has all the same courtly abilities as a Knight of Flowers (he protects others (his shield trick), heals (ok, so his lay on hands and cure wounds burn like hell, but still), and is charismatic (which I interpet as intimidating and deceptive)), only with a dark edge. I really don't want a holy symbol for him; it'd be contrary to his belief in Self. He's an anti-paladin.

If I have to have Dent adopt a deity, that's a bitter pill. I'll have a look at the deity list. Not that enthused about it, though. I'm ecstatic how well he's turned out thus far. I was itching to play a bad-boy paladin, and by God I got one (pun intended).

Shayuri

First Post
I would imagine that you could define a thing as a focus for his magic, and call that a 'holy symbol.' In mechanical terms it is the same, but in narrative terms it's not a symbol of his devotion to a deity, but rather a personal symbol of his devotion to...whatever he's devoted to. It could be anything.

It just has to be something. Tying his powers to an item is part of the balancing for the class, I believe.

As for carrying Dent around in battle...I don't think there's any hard rules for a tiger being ridden, but my broad sense is that there'd probably be some issues. They're not as strong as horses for one thing, nor as big, and bodywise (this has nothing to do with rules) a cat doesn't have the strength in their spine to really support a man in armor. That suppleness comes at a cost in that sense.

That doesn't mean Aridha can't wildshape into a warhorse and storm around...but it will take some IC discussion to work that out. It wouldn't occur to her naturally. :)

In general, I wouldn't recommend taking a feat in anticipation of the tactic happening regularly though.

One thing to beware of vis a vis Magic Initiate too is that the spells you pick don't automatically adjust themselves to suit you. For example, when a Bard takes a spell of another class with their class ability to do so, the spell becomes a Bard spell for that purpose...it changes its spellcasting attribute to Charisma. The Magic Initiate feat doesn't do that. If you take Druid spells, especially ones that allow a save, you'll want a good Wisdom to power them.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
As far as the holy symbol/divine focus (whatever it may be), the main advantage is that you can get one that attaches to your shield so you don't have to worry about having a hand to hold it. If you wanted to do away with the symbol entirely, you can always use a spell component pouch, but would need a hand free to cast.

As far as riding tigers... I get to see a real life tiger pretty frequently and up close (Hey Mike!) and wonder if it could really support a knight in armor. At a minimum, you'd probably need an exotic saddle.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads