• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [OOC] A Light Hearted Princes of Elemental Evil Hack and Slash

Any chance there's a riding horse or a warhorse (and a military saddle) in Riverguard that Dent can commandeer? If not, Dent just came into 100 gp, and could afford a riding horse (but no clue where he can buy one since we appear to be in the sticks?).

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hey, CB...Aridha would be okay with the horse trick in certain circumstances, but not as a general habit. She's quite limited in her interactions as a horse, and to be properly ridden long term she'd need saddle and horseshoes and other stuff that wouldn't be very easy to deal with when it was time to turn back. :)

If no one else wants the Mote of Water, she'll take it. As a druid, she has some connection to the primal elements, even if that's not her main focus.

What I had in mind re: mounted combat was that when combat started, if/when Aridha wild shaped into a tiger (or a horse?), she'd swing by Dent and let him hop on then the two of them could go rampaging around the room killing things. Dent wouldn't want to ride her long-term. Would Dent's mounting her impair Ari's ability to attack, however? If Mounted Combat won't work, I'm probably going to take the feat that grants Dent faerie fire.

I just want it on the record that I've said "mount" and "ride" numerous times without a hint of sniggering. No, no laughing over here in Hoosierville. Not one iota.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
What I had in mind re: mounted combat was that when combat started, if/when Aridha wild shaped into a tiger (or a horse?), she'd swing by Dent and let him hop on then the two of them could go rampaging around the room killing things. Dent wouldn't want to ride her long-term. Would Dent's mounting her impair Ari's ability to attack, however? If Mounted Combat won't work, I'm probably going to take the feat that grants Dent faerie fire.

I just want it on the record that I've said "mount" and "ride her" numerous times without a hint of sniggering. No, no laughing over here in Hoosierville. Not one iota.

Hey [MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION]! Be careful about the magic initiate feat because Dent will only be able to cast faery fire once per day, and won't be able to use his paladin slots to fuel it. I would show you where this is clarified but the wizards.com website uses google as its search engine, and I don't think China likes google very much ;-) Fyi, Damien already has friends, and Thaliss has vicious mockery. There's also an opportunity cost of Dent casting Vicious mockery instead of acting as a Tank in a battle...

Have you looked at the sentinel or even better IMHO, the shield master feats by any chance? It seems to me that Dent would benefit more from them and they fits nicely with the protection fighting style (particularly shield master, with the shoving allowing some nice control possibilities). No damage on dex saves is quite nice, especially considering we're dealing with elemental cults.

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], I've noted that Aridha has the mote. If we see that the front line fighters are more often targets of fire attacks, Thaliss will gladly give them the cloak.

Cheers,

SG

Forged Fury

First Post
Damien doesn't have Friends, but Aridha has Faerie Fire. With that said, duplication doesn't bother me, the bigger question for Dent is how many Concentration based effects he wants to have, since he can only maintain one at a time. I think he already has Bane and Hunter's Mark. I do think Shield Master is a pretty great feat though, since you can take the Bonus Action to knock someone down before you attack. Free advantage on attacks if you succeed!

Mount-wise, you can take Find Steed next level. It's a pretty awesome mount.

I'm looking for advantage. Faerie fire grants that. So does Mounted Combat.

I looked at but discarded what I saw of the shield feat/s in the PHB. Additionally, I checked everyone's sheets in the RG before settling on spell choices. While I note you lot have been careful to dovetail cantrips, I'm undecided whether I personally find that a viable approach. I think some scattershot among spell selection is good but am not of the opinion that we necessarily need complete differentiation. Or, at least, I don't think I am. Talk me out of it?

. . .Shield Master is a pretty great feat though, since you can take the Bonus Action to knock someone down before you attack. Free advantage on attacks if you succeed!
Knocked back and prone ten feet away, right? The ten feet away could be problematic. The biggest thing I'm looking for this level is advantage on Dent's attacks. I'll take a second look at Shield Master.

Mount-wise, you can take Find Steed next level. It's a pretty awesome mount.
Agreed, but that's a level away. The way PbP rolls, who knows if we'll get to 5th level.

You guys are good numbers crunchers, so let me know if you spot something Dent can take that will give him advantage. Even faerie fire once per day is pretty awesome in my book, especially since everyone benefits from it.

And, yes, the Paladin spell list is heavily concentration-centric. This is a big reason why I might end up ditching the feat and just taking +2 to Con.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Talk me out of it?

Actually, as [MENTION=95059]Forged Fury[/MENTION] said, find steed + the mounted combatant feat seems absolutely terrific!
Who cares if your steed doesn't fit through the dungeon's entrance, just summon it inside! And wherever a horse would fit, boom, you have advantage. Looks like a killer gambit!
Cheers,

SG

That's next level though. Also, it's not getting the steed into the entrance that concerns me, it's whether Dent will fit while mounted (snigger) inside a dungeon that is highly likely to have 10' ceilings.

Honestly, Mounted Combat is by far away the most elegant and appealing of my choices. It's certainly my first choice. I just need to make sure Creamsteak is on board.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads