OOC - Fiend's Embrace - D&D One-Shot Adventure

Malvoisin

First Post
Can everyone have a completed character sheet posted by, say, next Wednesday? I'd like to get the game rolling within a week's time, if possible.

Thanks,
Malvoisin

Phyrrus

First Post
Stat Sheet: [sblock]

Brother Ortak of Boccob
Male Human
NG Medium
Init: +1; Senses: Listen +4 [+2 Wis, +2 Alertness Feat], Spot +4 [+2 Wis, +2 Alerness Feat]
Languages: Common, Draconic, Celestial, Infernal
Exp: 6785 (10K needed for 5th)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 12, touch 11, flat-footed 11 [+1 Dex, +1 Bracers, +4 Mage Armor Spell, +4 Shield Spell]
HD: 4d4+4 (hp 16)
Resist:
Fort +3 [+1 Class, +1 Con, +1 Belt of Resistance]
Ref +3 [+1 Class, +1 Dex, +1 Belt of Resistance]
Will +9 [+4 Class, +2 Wis, +1 Belt of Resistance, +2 Iron Will Feat]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee: Darkwood Quarterstaff. +2, d6/d6, 20 B
Ranged: +2
Space: 5 ft. Reach: 5 ft.
Base Atk +3; Grp +1 [+1 Bab, +0 Str]
Special Actions:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 17 (+1 @ 4th), Wis 14, Cha 10

Feats: Scribe Scroll (Class bonus), Alertness (Familiar bonus), Improved Familiar (Human Bonus), Iron Will (1st Level), Craft Wonderous Item (3rd Level)

Skills: Concentration +6 (5), Decipher Script +8 (5), Knowledge (Arcana) +10 (7), Knowledge (the Planes) +10 (7), Knowledge (history) +10 (7), Search +6 (1cc), Sense Motive +5 (1cc), Spellcraft +10 (7)

Possessions:

Darkwood Quarterstaff, Wyvernhide Bracers of Prot +1, Belt of Resistance +1, Continual Light Bullseye Lantern*, Scrollcase Organizer w/ 10 of 15 slots filled: Identify* (1st) x2, Arcane Lock* (3rd) x1, Mount* (4th) x2, Scorching Ray* (3rd, 30ft) x 2, Comprehend Languages* (4th) x1, Mage Armor* (4th) x2, Spellpouch, Belt pouch Backpack w/following contents: 2 potions of CLW, Spellbook, Bedroll, waterskin, silk rope 50' ft, ink, inkpen, 5 sheets of parchment

*= items created/enchanted by Ortek

120 gp worth of misc coins, trade bars and trade letters

Spellbook:

0- All
1st- Mage Armor, Identify, Comprehend Languages, Erase, Color Spray, Shield, Magic Missle, Mount, Tenser's Floating Disk*, Endure Elements*
2nd- Continual Flame, Rope Trick, Web, Arcane Lock, Scorching Ray*

*=purchased and added in scribing fees associated with each spell.[/sblock]

Familiar:

Korto[sblock]
Razor hawk
Tiny Construct
Hit dice 4d4
HP 8
Initiative: +3
Speed: 10 ft' (2 squares), fly 60 ft' (average)
Armor Class: 22 ( +2 Size, +3 Dex, +7 Natural) touch 15, flat footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-9
Attack: Wing Blades +6 melee (1d8-2)
Full Attack: Wing Blades +6 melee (1d8-2)
Special Traits: Construct Traits, familiar traits, low-light vision
Saves: +3 Fort, +5 Ref, +9 Will
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 17, Con - , Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +12
Feats: Flyby attack. Weapon Finesse[/sblock]

History:[sblock]

Ortak’s first memories were of books and the priests of Boccob who read to him every night. Growing up in a monastery dedicated to knowledge, Ortak knew early on in life that Boccob had chosen him to follow along in the footsteps of his faith. This realization also brought the knowledge that it was not as a priest he was to serve, but as a brother practitioner of the arcane way.

Mastering cantrips quickly, Ortak was apprenticed at fourteen to a traveling Loremaster who hoped that his young protégé’ would decide to dedicate himself to the art of Divination above all others.

However, Ortak could not be swayed into believing that turning his back to any school of magic was something Boccob would approve of. In his opinion, at any given time, he might need access to a spell or enchantment and cutting himself off from that was not a wise decision.

When Ortak was twenty, he was released from his apprenticeship and told to see the world through his own eyes. Socially inept from his sheltered childhood, Ortak struggled with the customs that he had witnessed his Master handle easily. He journeyed to the closest town in hopes of finding others looking to make a name for themselves, but found only common people trying to make ends meet. When his funds began to run low, Ortak began working as a scribe for the local tax collector to earn enough coins to leave for Greyhawk. For six months, he saved every copper he could and when a coachman came by who was willing to take his meager collection of coin and his offer to ride atop as a watcher he was traveling once more.

In the Free City, Ortak was once again an orphan, but this time he was not without resources. Arriving on the doorsteps to the Halls of Knowledge in Greyhawk, Ortak found food and shelter and the Church quickly found him work. The years passed and as they did Ortak’s mastery of his magic increased with them.

Solitary by nature, Ortak began feeling that something was missing when he traveled for the Church. Although he had sworn that he would never summon another familiar after his first was slain while saving his life from a robber’s blade, he knew that logically speaking it would be to his benefit if he were not alone so much. Digging into the Church’s vaults, Ortak began researching the art of creating quasi-sentient constructs and bonding them as a companion. While he knew his skills were not to the level of those who wrote the manuals he read, he still felt it was something he could do with time and patience. Over the course of the next year, Ortak spent a great deal of his time and collected savings and when Karto opened his mechanical eyes Ortak could feel the confusion behind them in his soul, and he knew he had succeeded.

Reinvigorated by his success, Ortak gladly took the next assignment the Church had for him. He was to travel to the northern border town of Eru Tovar and seek out the man called Arakk. What the man had requested of the Church, Ortak did not know, but whatever it was it warranted the request to press on as quickly as possible.

A day out of Eru Tovar now, Ortak knows he will reach the Wyvern’s Sting on time, but his curiosity has been growing as the mystery behind the request grows inside his mind. This uneasiness has transferred into Karto as well and the mechanical bird has taken to scouting further and further ahead as if it was willing his Master to walk faster.[/sblock]

Description:[sblock]

A man of thirty summers, Ortak is thin and unassuming in appearance. His clothes are of simple and sturdy make, with the exception of the two items. A finely crafted leather belt is looped through the rungs in his breeches; the silver buckle that secures it has several small runes etched into the metal. The other is a matching pair of bracers, the tips of the leather bands are all that escape from the long sleeves of his shirt.

His brown hair is curly and thick, looking as if it has not seen a barber’s blade in far too long, and his green eyes are bright and attentive.

Perched on his shoulder is a mechanical hawk crafted from silver and iron. The razor edge of its talons glint when the light strikes them and several arcane glyphs are worked into the creature’s breast and wings. Its eyes glow with a steady violet light.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
[sblock=Stats]Idivien, Shadowalker
Male Tiefling Rogue 3
LN Medium Outsider (Native)
Init: +8; Senses Listen +7 [+0 Wis], Spot +7 [+0 Wis], Darkvision 60ft.
Languages: Common, Infernal, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 14 [+4 Dex, +4 Armor]
HD: 3d6+3 (hp x)
Resist:
Fort +3 [+1 Class, +1 Con, +1 Resistance]
Ref +8 [+3 Class, +4 Dex, +1 Resistance]
Will +2 [+1 Class, +0 Wis, +1 Resistance]
C/E/F resistance 5
Evasion
Trapsense +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee: Mwk Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20) or
Ranged: Longbow +6 (1d8/x3)
Space: 5 ft. Reach: 5 ft.
Base Atk +2; Grp +2 [+2 Bab, +0 Str]
Special Actions: Darkness*, Sneak Attack +2d6, Trapfinding
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10
Feats: Improved Inititative, Weapon Finesse
Skills:
Bluff +8 [6r, +2 Racial]
Disable Device +11 [6r, +3 Int, +2 Mwk. tools]
Diplomacy +6 [6r]
Escape Artist +10 [6r, +4 Dex]
Gather Information +6 [67r]
Hide +12 [6r, +4 Dex, +2 Racial]
Listen +6 [67r]
Move Silently +10 [6r, +4 Dex]
Search +9 [6r, +3 Int]
Spot +6 [6r]
Tumble +10 [6r, +4 Dex]
[sblock=Possessions] 2.8 gp
Longbow; 75 gp
Mwk Rapier; 320 gp
Dagger; (x3); 6 gp
Mwk Silver dagger; 322 gp
-
Mwk Thieves’ tools; 100 gp
Backpack; 2 gp
Bedroll; 1 sp
Winter Blanket; 5 sp
Scroll Case; 1 gp
Crowbar; 2 gp
Flint and steel; 1 gp
Grappling hook; 1 gp
Oil flask(x5); 5 sp
Rope, silk (50 ft.); (x2); 20 gp
Sack; 1 sp
Shovel; 2 gp
Waterskin; 1 gp
-
Cold weather outfit; 8 gp
Explorer’s outfit; [Free!]
Acid flask; (x5); 50 gp
Tanglefoot bag (x3); 150 gp
Tindertwig; (x10); 10 gp
-
Cure light wounds potion; (x3); 150 gp
-
+1 Studded Leather; 1175 gp
Cloak of resistance +1; 1,000 gp
Hevard's Handy Haversack; 2,000 gp
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]At the age of two he was given in "tutelage" to a mage without the prejudice his noble parents had. Yet they didn't want to lose total contact, so every now and then he received missives along with gold to pay for his "safekeeping".

The intent was just to keep him away from the family, but said mage had other plans in store for him, an ongoing observation of the awakening of magic in someone with The Art latent within. Success showed up soon enough; at the age of ten he could already bring forth his will to shape magic to his service... to his tutor this hadn't been possible until the age of seventeen, at least not with such control. The *only* flaw would be that he would not progress further than clouding out the light from a room... which soon made any real interest from his tutor to fall to nothingness.

But he didn't lose time, gradually he started learning about what was that that had brough him here, what was that which allowed his though to sculpt reality. He learned about the reason for his sharp teeth being unusually black and the back of his hands being covered with hard black scales. He wasn't surprised, nor scared, nor bothered by it... but was bored.

At the age of fifteen, when he only worked as a cadet for the old grey-bearded man, he departed without warning but not without forethought. Not to his household, serious doubts about how he would be received were present, he went to the city. Cloth wrappings around his hands, and smiling as little as possible should do the trick.

There I adapted fast enough, and learnt to adapt others to work towards my ends. I learnt to make friends and to get myself out of whatever trouble I got because of *uncustomary* works, I quickly found my way into hiring my talents... to people such as you master... your previous fat damned master.

But that kind of work sometimes gets one into serious trouble in a city, especially if you murder someone...

Hey! don't look at me that way, I was only doing justice, the fat dastard was going to give me in to the city guard; he seemed offended because I changed my ideas about what my share should be... and I started selling the stuff on my own.

Justice or not, it still meant that before morning being outta there would be good for my health. But you! Damned dead fencer's bird kept following me, even spat one or two insults, fine... as long as you don't peck out my eyes...

So here we are, just entered the *grandiose* carreer of adventuring, or at least I intend us to... But for the last week all we achieved has been waiting in this damned damp hole the innkeeper calls a room. Throwing daggers at the wall, waiting for the guy to call us out when Arakk comes searching for... how did the paper say? Need of some qualified folk? that's it.

He should pay better than the fat dastard... I mean, your master sold stuff to him, surely he made some profit out of it.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Description]A young man of normal height if a bit taller than most humans and of wiry complexion. Whenever he removes his cloak's hood, his short and untamable grey hair comes into view along with a pair of eyes of the same steely colour. Pale skin and sharp factions hint at some non-human heritage, maybe elven.

Dressed in normal travel clothes under his cloak, the only curious facts about his clothing are the loose cloth "scarf" he has wrapped around the lower half of his face, and the bandages covering the back of his hands, made of the same material.

The Raven on his left shoulder craws.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Malvoisin said:
Per the DMG, 4th level characters should start at 5400 gp. As you can see, I have stuck closely to this guideline.

Sorry I kept looking back at the first post for additional guidelines and didn't notice it was in that later one.

Voadam

Legend
Aeligim Telrunya Elven Hexblade

Aeligim Telrunya
Elven hexblade 4
CN

Str 12
Dex 18
Con 13
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 14

BAB +4
AC 19 (chain shirt +5, dex +4) t 14, ff 15

F +3, R +6, W+4 (+2 versus magic)

Init +4
Grapple +5
Move 30'

Bow +9 RI 110 1d8+1 x3
spike +9 1d6 silver
Rapier +9 1d6+1 18-20
Kukri +8 1d4+1 18-20 cold iron

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Weapon Finesse,
Skills:
Intimidate +9
Knowledge Arcane: +7

Spells Known:
1 Protection from Evil, Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter

Hex 1/day DC 14 Will (-2 on attacks, damage, saves, skills, checks)
Mettle (evasion for will and fortitude magic)

Equipment
Masterwork composite longbow str +1 500 gp 3 lbs.
quiver 20 cold iron arrows 2 gp 3 lbs.
Chain shirt +1 1,250 gp 25 lbs.
Silver masterwork armor spike 370 gp -lbs.
Masterwork rapier 320 gp 2lbs.
Kukri cold iron 16 gp 2 lbs.
Cloak of Resistance +1 1,000 gp
Wand of magic weapon 750 gp
Backpack 2 gp 2 lbs.
food, sundries ~5 gp
Bag of Tricks gray 900 gp
286 gp

35+ lbs. 43 lbs. for light encumbrance

Aeligim grew up on the wild coast which was a haven for many individualistic arcane casters and adventurers. Like most elves Aeligim was drawn to both martial and magical practices. Aeligim, however, was always drawn to the darker arts and studied much about the casters who summoned demons and other practitioners of black magic. He took up the study himself so that he could face the twin great evils of the time, the fiend ridden throne of the Great Kingdom, and the burgeoning empire of Iuz ruled by the ascended demonspawn god. The pursuit of great evil requires knowledge of great evil and Feanaro set himself to learning all he could no matter the costs to his own soul. In pursuing witches and fiends he has never shirked from what needs to be done and he has dispatched many by turning the dark arts against them.

Tall and broad for an elf, Aeligim is imposing in his silver spiked armor with his blades and bow at his side. His eyes seem to be a bit hollowed out with dark shadows around them from long nights spent hunting down knowledge or foes, or perhaps simply the fanatacism of his chosen calling. His blond hair is worn long and pulled back.

Picture http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cw_ag/75396.jpg

Recently Aeligim heard of a witch in the cold marshes that he wants to investigate. He heard that a collector called Arakk from Eru Tovar is outfitting an expedition to the marshes and feels that it is a worthwile method of journeying there.

Last edited:

Phyrrus

First Post
I think I have the sheet completed. Please let me know if I did anything that was totally wrong. Just so everyone will be on the same page, creating my familiar cost me 1350 gps and was by far my most expensive purchased item.

Rayex

First Post
First draft of the lizard

[sblock]Gnro

Female Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, Favored Soul of Semuanya 3

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Deity: Semuanya
Size: S
Type: Humanoid
Speed: 30 ft.
Space: 5 ft
Reach: 5 ft
Exp: 7000

Str: 14 (+2) 6
Dex: 14 (+2) 4 + 2racial
Con: 16 (+3) 6 + 2racial
Int: 10 (+0) 2
Wis: 12 (+1) 4
Cha: 12 (+1) 6 - 2racial

HP: 28 (3d8 + 9Con)

AC: 22 (10 + 2dex + 5armor + 1enchantment + 3natural + 1size) / 13 / 20

Saves:
Fortitude: +7 (3base + 3con + 1resistance)
Reflex: +6 (3base + 2dex + 1resistance)
Will: +5 (3base + 1wis + 1resistance)

Init: +2 (2dex)

Base attack bonus: +2

Attacks:
Masterwork Greatclub: +7 (2base + 2str + 1size + 1focus + 1MW), 1d8+3 damage, Threat 20/x2

Spells:
Spells per day: 6/6
DC: 10 + spell level + 1wis
Spells known: 5/4
0: Create Water, Detect Poison, Guidance, Light, Purify Food and Drink
1: Cure Light Wounds, Shield of Faith, Lesser Vigor, Resurgence

Skills:
Skill points: 12
Max Rank: 6
Concentration: 9 (6ranks + 3con)
Heal: 7 (6ranks + 1wis)

Feats:
Lvl 1 - Combat Casting
Lvl 3 - Augumented Healing
Favored Soul lvl 3: Weapon Focus (Greatclub)

Languages:
Common
Draconic

Equipment:
Masterwork Greatclub
+1 breastplate
Cloak of Resistance +1
Scroll of Cure Moderate Wounds x3
Scroll of Delay Poison x2
Wand of Cure Light Wounds
Wand of Magic Missiles (1st)
Potion of Sanctuary x4
Potion of Cure Light Wounds x4
Backpack
Bedroll
Food rations, x6
Silk rope, 50 ft.

100 gp in gems.
79 gp 9sp

Racial abilities
Chameleon Skin:
Hold Breath:
Low-light vision

Class features
Deity's Weapon Focus

Proficiencies:
Light Weapons
Deity's Favored Weapon (Greatclub)
Light Armor
Medium Armor
Shields (Not tower)

Gnro grew up in a fairly small tribe. Her parents always insisted she was a blesses child, as she was the first child who grew beyond infancy in a long time. As she gre up, it became apparent that they were right. She was able to heal injuries that would have been fatal, and soon was given the privilege to learn from the tribes shaman.
The tutelage was short though. When the shaman came to realize that Grno was surpassing even him in the skills of the divine, he sent her on a "quest", to locate a sacred shrine of Semuanya. Dutyfully she left the tribe, and started her search. Soon she came in contact with other races. Humans, elves, dwarves, gnolls, ogres... the world is full of strange, ugly creatures, but she tries her best to befriend them, and help them in their need. Perhaps they might help her in return.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
@All: I will go over the various character sheets as presented so far, and let you know if I see anything that looks questionable.

@Rayex: Just as a role-playing note, Gnro is going to have an interesting time of it in Eru Tovar. The wolf nomads are bitter enemies of the humanoids of Iuz' armies, as well as various strange creatures that come forth from the Cold Marshes and Blackmoor. I strongly recommend that she disguise herself and tread very carefully while in the town. The people there will be extremely untrusting at best...and more likely, she would be attacked on sight.

Rayex

First Post
Malvoisin said:
@Rayex: Just as a role-playing note, Gnro is going to have an interesting time of it in Eru Tovar. The wolf nomads are bitter enemies of the humanoids of Iuz' armies, as well as various strange creatures that come forth from the Cold Marshes and Blackmoor. I strongly recommend that she disguise herself and tread very carefully while in the town. The people there will be extremely untrusting at best...and more likely, she would be attacked on sight.

Sounds like fun!

*Gnro dons the dark woolen cape and puts up her hood, carefully keeping her tail inside the cape. "Me gnome"* :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases