• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) Fitz's Folly (ToA PBP)

Fradak

Explorer
You're right. With a Cleric casting Bless, the pally can smite. But here, Chrysagon has to buff. So with only 3 spell slots per day (for maybe 3 combats per day), he needs to keep them for bless and protection vs evil. He has not much options until he got more spell slots.

And it's part of the character, he wants to help his companions. Bursting his spell slots for smiting looks selfish to him. He doesn't even Bless himself.

What we should do is to focus more on one target at a time. The damage were split on 4 targets during almost all the fight. So we kept taking a lot of hits. I suppose we can blame the terrain this time.

Pterafolk1 (K10) HP less 25
Pterafolk2 (M8) HP less
Pterafolk3 (I13) HP less
Pterafolk4 (J13) HP less 12
Pterafolk5 (K13) HP less 5
Pterafolk6 (E11) HP less 32

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Could you upgrade your armor? 2 of those hits were very close.

And you are totally right about spreading damage. It's not always possible to 100% focus fire - pretty rare in fact - but we could do better.

Fradak

Explorer
It's bless (3 targets) or +2 AC for 1.
It's really a no brainer. Chrysagon hopes to find a plate at some point.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Bless might arguably be better for damage dealing than smiting. If 2 misses in a fight are turned into a hit by bless, that is more damage than the 2d8 the smite would do. And it boosts savings throws!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yep. I'm also 100% in support of being true to the character's feelings. Another factor against Smite (though I maintain it's what I usually see out of Paladins, and seems to work well) is that *sometimes* it will be wasted. I've had a Smite-Happy Paladin player use her smites when her regular shot would have dropped the foe. She did it often enough that I started to let her know, to save her smites for later.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Yep. I'm also 100% in support of being true to the character's feelings. Another factor against Smite (though I maintain it's what I usually see out of Paladins, and seems to work well) is that *sometimes* it will be wasted. I've had a Smite-Happy Paladin player use her smites when her regular shot would have dropped the foe. She did it often enough that I started to let her know, to save her smites for later.

Last session I ran, the paladin came out, and use branding smite *and* a smite dice vs an undead, and rolled a crit. Did over 60 points of damage. The undead had less than 30 left.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Dellrak couldn't hit a damn thing this fight, so there was that.

And we couldn't exactly focus fire when it's in a narrow 5' corridor and we're being flanked. I suppose Dellrak could have gone with his crossbow and helped out the funnel. He's a decent shot. But that doesn't address the flanking issue (he's better with the greataxe).

Remove ads