OOC - Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen - 14th Level Dungeon Crawl

Amazing Triangle

First Post
I too am interested!

I will go with boom sorcerer. Straight up 14th level sorcerer with all kinds of good spells. I will post more when get them all compiled.

Mostly Orbs and Fireball with draconic feats if I take a prestige class I was wondering about War Wizard. Or something else from PHB 2 in the Alternates section.

Gli'jar

First Post
Malvoisin said:
All right, sounds like a good start. I look forward to any further details you'd like to provide.

As promised...

Taking after his brother, Monitor Jai Tal’Utel, Ali Tal’Utel entered the faith.
The younger of the pair, Ali watched his brother rise through the ranks of
the clergy. When Jai chose the path of Monitor he left the monastery,
forwent the ecclesiastical duties of the faith to focus on becoming a war
priest, battling the foes of light.

Ali however chose a different path. The path of Binder was more to his
disposition. Where his brother has both the mentality and physicality of
a war priest, Ali possessed a healing ability, iron determination in facing
the foes of light. It is for these reasons, Ali chose to focus his abilities
on helping those who could not help themselves.

While on a journey to aid a razed village, Ali and his entourage were
attacked by the undead villagers and their creators. It was a trap, and
though outnumbered, the undead fell to the prayers, faith, steeled
determination and holy might of Ra. Many of Ali’s friends and compatriots
died that day and it was at this point that Ali decided he would partake
in the journey, as did his brother, and begin his life as an adventurer
cleansing the world of those enemies of light. It is the path he follows to
this day.

Class Cleric 6/ Radiant Servant of Pelor (Ra) from complete divine 8
Domains of healing, sun and glory(bonus)
Feats along the line of extra turning, augment healing, spell penetration,
divine spell power feats along the lines of enhancing healing and turning
abilities. Some more for flavor over crunch.

Last edited:

Gli'jar

First Post
Steve Gorak said:
I'd like to throw in my hat too.

I've always wanted to play a mystic theurge. This is the progression I was thinking: Wizard 5/ Ur-Priest 2/Mystic theurge 7

SG

Curious as to how this works. Interesting take on the Ur-Priest not able to cast divine spells as a requisite. Always figured ex cleric rather than not being a cleric to begin with. However figure in a level of rogue in to make it work to get bluff otherwise you don't qualify until like 12, or is there a remedy for that? I stopped buying books, too expensive trying to maintain a library of WOTC products.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Gli'jar said:
Curious as to how this works. Interesting take on the Ur-Priest not able to cast divine spells as a requisite. Always figured ex cleric rather than not being a cleric to begin with. However figure in a level of rogue in to make it work to get bluff otherwise you don't qualify until like 12, or is there a remedy for that? I stopped buying books, too expensive trying to maintain a library of WOTC products.

You're 100% right! I didn't notice that detail. Thanks!

Actually, it would also work if I did Bard 1/Wizard 4/Ur-Priest 2/ MT7. The skill selection would work in my favor.

Hmm...I could also do Bard 5/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic theurge 3/Sublime chord 1/ Mystic theurge 3 (the arcane caster levels added to the sublime chord, total MT levels=6)

The character's alignment history would then be LN at 1st level (Bard), gradual transition to LE throughout the following levels. LE for Ur-Priest, and a very gradual shift back to LN thereafter. Even when LE, he wasn't the "pull wings off butterflies to torture them" kind of evil; more the "I want power and don't really care wether I have to step over you" type (think of the early Raislin in the Dragonlance novels).

He'd still be attacted to power, but realized throughout his career that he couldn't be too agressive, otherwize too many forces (aka goodie two-shoes!) would try to stop him.

OK, so, I'll wait for an official green light before I spec. him out.
Cheers,

SG

Last edited:

Pinotage

Explorer
Count me in as very interested as well! Thinking of playing a human warlock or a dwarven or human rogue-type focusing on combat - flanking and sneak attack, with a good utility arsenal through magic and Use Magic Device, perhaps even a shadowdancer. There's been some interest in mystic theurge and sorcerer so maybe the warlock might not be the best idea.

I'll shoot with both ideas for a warlock and rogue-type, and see how that goes.

Pinotage

Pinotage

Explorer
Human Warlock 14

Description: Scarlet is short and petite, with fine very attractive features. Standing barely five feet in physical height, she can be giant-sized in personality. Her long blond hair is wild and often unkept, although she tries to be as neat as possible. Her nose is thin and delicate, her lips full and round, and her eyes dark blue with the wildness of her spirit.

She moves quickly and hastily, always in a hurry and always willing to try anything that won't get her killed. She dresses in comfortable clothes, mostly shades of green, and is frequently found wearing a bandana to protect her delicate skin from the sun. She is lightly tanned, with a skinny, somewhat muscular frame, and were her hair short not a few would mistake her for a boy.

Brief Personality: Scarlet is a wild and pleasant girl, free from the restraints of the world and with an open heart. While unpredicatable and wild of spirit, her heart is gentle and she makes at most times for an amiable companion. She views the world as one giant opportunity, and despite her small size and stature, she has a giant lust for life, the changing environment and the thirst of adventure. She makes for a powerful ally, freely drawing on the power of her heritage, and capable of swift destruction, even if it's not warranted.

Brief Background: By far the most important event in Scarlet's life was her capture and abduction by tielfing raiders from the outer planes. Beaten and bloodied she'd been held and misused, but quickly realised that being an ally was better than being an enemy. Her fascination for the planes and the power of the tieflings grew with time as did her knowledge of the worlds beyond and the variety of knowledge and power that it offered. Though not swayed by the evil of the tieflings, she was touched by their chaotic nature and despite her ordeals maintained the goodness of her heart.

Used for a variety of different magical experiments during her captivity, these unlocked within her a power she had not known existed. She buried her feelings of torment and hatred, and grasped this opportunity with everything she had. Darkness grew in her, but a darkness of power not of personality, and on a latter raid by tielfing warriors and priests to the Material Plane, she managed a reckless escape. Filled with gratefulness and wonder of the worlds and planes around her, she grew quickly in her dark and choatic power, and ventured far and wide in search of all things new.

Character: Warlock with a focus on utility and scouting. Invocations include Dark One's Own Luck, Walk Unseen, Fell Flight, Vitriolic Blast, Baleful Utterance, See the Unseen, Eldricht Chain, etc. Will rely on Use Magic Device for utility scrolls and wands.

That's the first one. DM, when are you intending to start this grand venture?

Pinotage

Last edited:

Pinotage

Explorer
Human (or Dwarf - below is for human) Rogue/Fighter/Barbarian 11/1/2 or something like that (possibly Tempest prestige class)

Description: Tall, strong and athletic, Keira is a woman who lives by simple values and simple beliefs. Her hair is blond and long, her facial features rugged from life's battles, her brown eyes penetrating and open. She is clad in simple brown clothing, barely fit for most peasants, but she is comfortable in life's simplicity. Her quiet and seemingly humble outward appearance masks a character that is at times unyielding and without a willingness to accept the obvious. She puts her faith in her weapons and her will to survive.

Brief Background: Full of mischief and desire for adventure, Keira often ended up in trouble in the small village she grew up in. Stealing was only a minor hassle, as she generally returned everything she'd stolen - it was the tricks and small traps she laid that annoyed people the most, particularly if the burly mayor ended up flat on his back yet again at an important function in the village's inn. In fact, after many threats to be banished, she eventually gave up and left on her own.

She spent years around wandering and travelling both wilderness and cities, adventuring with various group here and there until she grew tired of the bloodshed and the killing. The cities offered her the chance for excitement and money, and she spent some time there in the local thieves' guild, but never for long in one place. By chance she stole a local barbarian dignatory's medallion, only to have her plan foiled by the keen eyes of a small little boy. The city powers gave her over to the barbarian tribe, and she was enslaved for a number of months.

Through sheer cunning she managed to worm her way out of her slavery, and soon the barbarian tribe realised her usefulness. She joined them on their travels, hunting and moving, and teaching those around her what she knew. She could run with them, she could eat with them, she could drink with them, and was even initiated into the tribe, despite being a female. She eventually snuck away one night leaving behind a number of reminders of her presence but without saying goodbye. The wide world awaited, and she was never one for staying in one place for too long.

Character: Scout and rogue focused on two-weapon fighting and melee combat. Uses flanking, sneak attack for attack and Use Magic Device for utility and defense. Can disarm traps, find them and open locks and do all the typical rogue-type stuff. Strong enough to help the fighters in combat as well.

That's the second one, and my favourite of the two.

Pinotage

D20Dazza

Explorer
G'day Malvoisin,

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I'm a 1st edition onwards player so love the feel of those Goodman Games adventures. Bring all the old memories flooding in ;)

I'll stick my hand up for a Rogue slot. Going with the Egyptian flavour I'll head with the catfolk from Races of the Wild (pg 92) as my race and perhaps look at the Dungeon Delver PC (from Complete Adventurer - a tomb robber type PC), Thief-Acrobat (from Complete Adventurer - your Aladdin/Robyn Hood sort of role), or perhaps the Scorpion Heritor (from Sandstorm - a silent, stealthy killer, almost an assassin but not quite (and not evil)). All those options excite me and I would be happy to take guidance from you on what you think would fit in best. If there is a heavy focus on traps etc perhaps 2 rogues might be warranted one with more of an emphasis on combat and the other on steath?

Feats and skills would depend on what option above I took of course.

I'm thinking split personality, probably female, slinky, some skills in perform dance, light-footed, stealthy, likes her creature comforts, curious, likeable but dangerous when riled but on the other hand calculating, cold, deceptive and ruthless.

Cheers

Daz

Last edited:

Tinner

First Post
Steve Gorak said:
The character's alignment history would then be LN at 1st level (Bard), gradual transition to LE throughout the following levels. LE for Ur-Priest, and a very gradual shift back to LN thereafter. Even when LE, he wasn't the "pull wings off butterflies to torture them" kind of evil; more the "I want power and don't really care wether I have to step over you" type (think of the early Raislin in the Dragonlance novels).

Except for the fact that a first level bard can't be lawful, you're almost there. ;)

Malvoisin

First Post
Hello, all, and thanks for all the interest so far.... :)

There are many great ideas out there so far, and I'm going to be making my player selections very soon. In fact, I think I'll leave things open for only one more day, and name the players tomorrow morning.

Some specific comments:

@Gli'jar and Ferrix: Thanks both of you for the additional information. Should be enough to go on now. Gli'jar, I do like the Egyptian feel of your character, and if selected, I think it would be fun to make him a Radiant Servant of 'Ra'...just for flavor's sake.

@Tinner: Hmm, I'm torn. I find the concept very interesting, and I feel that counterspelling is a very under-utilized game mechanic. Having said that, I'm just not sure that this character would be able to be used to his full potential in this game. What role do you see him playing when not facing an enemy spellcaster?

@Kafkonia: Interesting concept. Can you give me more details about the Chaotician PrC? I don't own the new Planes book, so I am in the dark on that.

@Steve Gorak: In theory, playing a Mystic Theurge is acceptable. Please try to settle on a specific build (that doesn't violate any alighment restrictions ;) ), as this will make it easier for me to evaluate your character.

@Shayuri: Wow, so many ideas! Actually, that's a good thing, as it gives me flexibilty in evaluating where your character might potentially fit from a 'balanced party' standpoint.

@Amazing Triangle: A boomy arcane caster is, of course, always useful on a dangerous dungeon crawl. I think I'd pass on allowing the War Wizard, as I'd prefer to stick to official WotC published material. Still, there are a lot of other ways you can go with a high-level sorcerer, and I'd be interested in seeing other ideas from you along those lines.

@Pinotage: Nice description on both of your concepts, and I like them both! Well done, not much for me to add.

@D20Dazza: Catfolk! I love it! I agree with you, this adventure could easily support more than one roguish character. All of your options have merit, and I would probably ask you to develop one specifically, based on the mix of other PCs in the group.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases