(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Doesn't help that he does as much damage as an orc warchief or an ettin.

If you're curious: He's a refluffed, (slightly weaker, because his "Command" ability only works on dogs instead of other orcs) Orc Blade of Ilneval from Volo's guide. He's the same CR as an Ettin, so that tracks. I tend to run pretty tough encounters, to keep them exciting, but I'm 'generous' to the PCs (in that I support their ideas and don't tend to have my monsters particularly organised. They are up to whatever they were up to for the story. Trying to kill PCs is usually an unwelcome distraction for them. Even these orcs, who love nothing better than killing PCs were actively trying to dig their way into the crypt, and are tired, frustrated, and distracted by that.)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
True, but it's fine now too, really. IMO, having players get worried that they are going to die, right before they win, is perfect. Barring bad rolls, this should happen here. I mean, maybe someone will drop, but I doubt anyone will die. Knock on wood.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@KahlessNestor You wrote that your Hunter's Mark "faded" but isn't the DC just 10? (Half the damage taken, minimum 10, so 22 damage would be the minimum to make the dc11. You took 19 high). You got a 14 and a 12. Should be fine.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
With two players in single digits and third one on one against the orc, i'd say the encounter went perfect. The dogs performed badly, low damage, almost no hits and no one prone...

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I know it's only the one orc, but giving it extra attack AND extra damage dice is pretty harsh. We'll probably still beat him, but there's 2 others yet to go and we're burning through a lot of resources for a first encounter.

With two players in single digits and third one on one against the orc, i'd say the encounter went perfect. The dogs performed badly, low damage, almost no hits and no one prone...
Had it been an actual ettin, it would still have 70% of its total hit points. So it is "easier" than an ettin. If the dogs had succeeded with their trips, that person would definitely be making death saves now.

I'm not complaining. It is a tough encounter. Some bad rolls on our part are a significant part of how poorly we're doing. Sometimes the dice do this.

And Tommi was off on his own and there was very little in a way of killing from distance and I'm alone and...and...imagine if that one orc didn't fall down :)

I will be the closest to the tank in this party with AC 18 (not great, but there are spells) - I'm currently sitting at 20. Against +5 modifier and +3 modifier...and I still got hit several times. Sometimes the dice roll the wrong way

There were a lot of missed rolls in the first three rounds. All of Escella's eldritch blasts missed (maybe one hit?). That is balanced by the hounds not tripping anybody. Because give that orc advantage on his attacks and we would have been toast.

Remove ads