• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Turmoil in Ghelspad [Scarred Lands] (FULL 5/5)

Torillan

First Post
For those of you who want to build a magic weapon (or armor, for that matter), choose which "powers" from the list of weapon/armor abilities listed in the DMG you'd like the item to have (including any bonuses to hit/damage/protection) and note the "Market Price modifier". The total for bonuses can't be greater than +10, so obviously higher powers take longer to awaken. The way it works is this: you need to be a certain level, and then spend XP to "awaken" the latent powers of the item.
Here is an example of how it works:

Equivalent Bonus - +2
Required Level - 5
Total XP Weapon - 1,600
Total XP Armor/Shield - 800

From there each +1 bonus is every 2 levels after 5, (ie 7, 9, 11...) and doubles the XP needed.

All items will start off at +1 (include this in your total!!). Also, the bonuses are cumulative, so if the first ability is equivalent to +2, you would look at the +3 item level (+1 initial bonus and +2 equivalent) to determine what level you need to be and how much XP you need to spend. NOTE: I will be giving additional XP toward the item, which can ONLY be used to awaken abilities.
(Also, even though you start with only a masterwork item, something will happen early in the story to "start" the +1 bonus.) ;)

When you choose which powers you'd like, make a story behind the weapon (where it came from, who made it, etc.). I will make final decisions on abilities once you send me your list and story. E-mail them to me (torillan@aol.com), that way they can remain "mysterious" to the other players. You're free to discuss the items amongst yourselves, I think it helps keep a mystique about each of you.

If this seems confusing (I have a tendency to do that to people), let me know. We can work out details while we wait for Voadam to get back from his business trip (Voadam - I can work out the details of what you want to use for you if you send me a list before you go; we can fix it when you get back). Then, we can start!!!!

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
So we figure out all the powers it will eventually awaken to, write out the path they will awaken, and write up a history of the item, and privately e-mail that to you.

So for example

+1
Flaming
Fiery burst
Keen
+2
+3
+4
+5

This dagger was forged by Torvim's mentor Jakund the bright who summoned a small fire elemental for him and bound it into the dagger with secret burok torn runes.

Is that what you are looking for?

Torillan

First Post
Voadam said:
So we figure out all the powers it will eventually awaken to, write out the path they will awaken, and write up a history of the item, and privately e-mail that to you.

So for example

+1
Flaming
Fiery burst
Keen
+2
+3
+4
+5

This dagger was forged by Torvim's mentor Jakund the bright who summoned a small fire elemental for him and bound it into the dagger with secret burok torn runes.

Is that what you are looking for?

Exactly. The equivalency bonus would then break down like this:
+1 - any level, no XP
Flame - +2 equivalent (+1 add +1 equival. for Flame), 5th level, 1,600 XP
Flame Burst - +4 equivalent (+2 add +2 equiv. for Flame Burst), 9th lvl, 6,400 XP
.....and so on

Torillan

First Post
Argent Silvermage said:
As for Ash's ring.. do what you want. I envision is finaly winding up a ring of fire protection or even better fire elemental command.

Well, the Leveled Treasure only really works for Weapons, Armor and Shields. Let me see if the same principles could work for rings and/or staves. I might devise some similar rules based on market value for the powers listed in the ring section of the DMG (ex. - 2,000 gp to 6,000 gp = +1 equivalent) or something along those lines. I'll get back to you.

Torillan

First Post
Reminder / Bump

This is to remind everyone that we will start, but not until Voadam gets back from his business trip. The list of powers from Weapons and/or Armor that you'd like to build with can be sent anytime, but try to get them to me sometime over the next month or two.

Remove ads