• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOTS 479] Jaws of Life

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
I think it's interesting to see the way they've developed paladins and their abilities. Not many of us have probably thought of paladins with shark mounts.

I wonder if we're beginning to see a larger plan unfolding for the defenders; as he points out, he picked O-chul to defend the throne room because 'he was the strongest of us all', and Lien for the pokeball-shark-summoning.

I never realized that paladins kept their mounts in Poke'balls. :\
The new leader of Azure City is probably going to die soon, he's currently my favorite NPC - so far, that has meant quick and horrible death. :uhoh:

SPoD

First Post
Bayushi Seikuro said:
I wonder if we're beginning to see a larger plan unfolding for the defenders; as he points out, he picked O-chul to defend the throne room because 'he was the strongest of us all'

Actually, he said, "toughest of us all". Big difference, when you're talking about D&D characters. It pretty much answers the debate on why O-Chul could survive the explosion and Miko couldn't; he had more hit points (and probably better saving throws) than Miko. Miko was dubbed the "most powerful" member of the Sapphire Guard, but that could mean anything, including highest level or simply strongest attacks. It clearly didn't mean "toughest", since she got bisected by a throne and O-Chul survived.

SPoD

First Post
theredrobedwizard said:
That's why we've been calling them Pokemounts since, well, quite a while.

-TRRW

I think it's the other way around. I think Rich draws them coming out of pokéballs because early critics of 3.5 dubbed the paladin mount summoning ability "pokémounts" several years ago.

SPoD said:
I think it's the other way around. I think Rich draws them coming out of pokéballs because early critics of 3.5 dubbed the paladin mount summoning ability "pokémounts" several years ago.

You misunderstood me, monsignor.

TheRedRobedWizard said:
That's why we've (meaning myself and quite a few others I know) been calling them Pokemounts since, well, quite a while (referring to the time since just prior to 3.5 coming out).

I'm still not sure how you got your conclusion out of my statement, but oh well.

Good strip, overall. A Large Shark is, in fact, listed as a choice for a Paladin's Special Mount. Not too surprising a choice, really, given Azure City's proximity to water.

-TRRW

Gez

First Post
It's official: with Lien, OotS jumped (on) the shark!

As for the pokeball for paladin mount convocations, it's common to all Paladins of the Sapphire Guards and the gag has been done before -- here it's just for consistency's sake. If you dig in the archives, you can find Miko doing it ("Windstriker I choose you!") and Hinjo doing it ("Argent I choose you").

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads