• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOTS 479] Jaws of Life

drothgery

First Post
Particle_Man said:
I'm not sure that's compatible with Belkar being in the party proper, as opposed to a prisoner, etc.

Sooner or later he's going to run out of NPCs he can sacrifice to prevent his death...

Wolfwood2

Explorer
drothgery said:
Sooner or later he's going to run out of NPCs he can sacrifice to prevent his death...

The Oracle did say that Belkar should savour his next birthday, not make any long term investments, that sort of thing. He might have been kidding, but I don't think so.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Shayuri said:
As for the giant octopus...I suspect it's on there with the dire bear because of it's potential damage output (8 attacks per round, each doing respectable damage) and because it is a -grappling machine-.

Not as durable, though it's AC is one of the better ones as far as animals go, but giant octopi can do some serious, nutty damage.
That's what I thought at first, but look at the Grapple checks of the Octopus vs the Bear. And the Constrict isn't really even that good either. Plus, even if the eight attack at *much* lower bonus hit the enemy, the bear's three attacks average 15/15/14 damage at +19/+19/+13 to hit, while the octopus's average 7.5/7.5/7.5/7.5/7.5/7.5/7.5/7.5/6.5 at +10/+10/+10/+10/+10/+10/+10/+10/+5. So the octopus needs to hit with 6 of the 9 attacks at inferior attack bonus to match the bear's 3. Meh, it could have been on the list one step down with the weaker companions.

Glyfair

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
That's what I thought at first, but look at the Grapple checks of the Octopus vs the Bear. And the Constrict isn't really even that good either.

I suspect the level assumes that the PCs would summon it under ideal situations. Underwater most of the other creatures of that level (the bear for example) would be very handicapped. They need to find a way to breathe, movement is hindered, attacks are hindered, etc. The Octopus on the other hand operates at full strength.

A surface battle isn't the ideal location to summon the octopus. It's not bad against a large number of low level NPCs though. Those multiple attacks are much better than a couple of large damage attacks when they extra damage is wasted.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Glyfair said:
I suspect the level assumes that the PCs would summon it under ideal situations. Underwater most of the other creatures of that level (the bear for example) would be very handicapped. They need to find a way to breathe, movement is hindered, attacks are hindered, etc. The Octopus on the other hand operates at full strength.

A surface battle isn't the ideal location to summon the octopus. It's not bad against a large number of low level NPCs though. Those multiple attacks are much better than a couple of large damage attacks when they extra damage is wasted.
On the other hand, since so few games have as much seafaring action as land action, at many of the other levels, they have (wisely I think) erred on the side of making the aquatic Companion or Special Mount a bit stronger. This is because the opportunity cost is having a mount or animal companion you can use at other times. For instance, Lien may rock on the water, but during the majority of her time that she spends on land, she's going to wish debtors put a lien against her shark so she can have something usable.

Glyfair

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
On the other hand, since so few games have as much seafaring action as land action, at many of the other levels, they have (wisely I think) erred on the side of making the aquatic Companion or Special Mount a bit stronger. This is because the opportunity cost is having a mount or animal companion you can use at other times. For instance, Lien may rock on the water, but during the majority of her time that she spends on land, she's going to wish debtors put a lien against her shark so she can have something usable.

However, there is a difference between a mount or animal companion (which is not easily swappable) and a choice for a summon monster spell. If you aren't underwater than just summon a more appropriate animal.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Glyfair said:
However, there is a difference between a mount or animal companion (which is not easily swappable) and a choice for a summon monster spell. If you aren't underwater than just summon a more appropriate animal.
I was talking about Druid Animal Companion list. Although they do live in the same Summon Nature's Ally as well (VI). But on that same list is the powerful Baleen Whale. Better Grapple, lots of HP, and insanely long Blindsight.

PrinceXaxor

First Post
Not a very funny ship, but certainly not a boring one either. I still want to see this storyline tied up quickly so Roy can come back and they can head to the next gate.

Remove ads