• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 512

MarkB

Legend
Darkwolf71 said:
That's awesome. What's the range on Dancing Lights? I thought it was short. Of course, that's still 50 feet at 10th level.

*takes notes. :eek:
It's Medium (100 ft + 10ft per level).

In a Rokugan game where we had a gold dragon nominally on our side during a major clan battle, I used Dancing Lights as a beacon and 'landing lights' to get his attention when our Daimyo demanded to speak to him.

EDIT: Hmm, there's a nasty possibility - maybe the signal in the comic isn't so much intended to summon reinforcements as to 'call down fire' on its location. Xykon's spellcasters could send some high-level destructive spells over there faster than they could send troops.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Buck Godot said:
Technically he has said that he views the website as advertising (i.e. it costs him money) for the books and games (which makes him money). ;)

A fine distinction perhaps, but it's one he's quite adamant about. As many posters who have called him out on his board have found out. :p
I don't see any distinction, fine or otherwise. Maintaining the website is part of what he has chosen to make his job. It is not a labor of love, a favor to us, or a private amusement we happen to view. It is a service he is providing to make money. When you provide a service, you get criticized when it isn't meeting expectations. When you don't provide a service, you don't make your living off it.

Obviously he enjoys having it both ways, and many of his fans are eager to support him in it, but I'm not one of them. And on his own boards he can live in his own little universe and posters will go along or just go. But these aren't his boards.

Edit : I have on several occasions made part of my livelyhood writing for free publications (supported, obviously, by ads). The idea that I or an editor or anyone involved could have disparaged people who got theirs late, badly printed or with substandard content because "Dude, it's FREE!" would have been preposterous on it's face then, so I'm immune to being "shamed" for applying the same standards I was held to.

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Fifth Element said:
It costs Mr. Burlew money to put it on the internet. Complaining that it's really popular is, well, I don't know the word for it.
Since no one is complaining that it's "really popular" you won't have to come up with one.

mhensley

First Post
Grog said:
Actually, he said a long time ago that he was making enough money off OotS that he was able to quit his job and work on it full time. So, no, putting OotS on the internet doesn't cost Rich money; it makes him money.

I've certainly bought all of his books so far.

Tiew

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
I don't see any distinction, fine or otherwise. Maintaining the website is part of what he has chosen to make his job. It is not a labor of love, a favor to us, or a private amusement we happen to view. It is a service he is providing to make money. When you provide a service, you get criticized when it isn't meeting expectations. When you don't provide a service, you don't make your living off it.

Obviously he enjoys having it both ways, and many of his fans are eager to support him in it, but I'm not one of them. And on his own boards he can live in his own little universe and posters will go along or just go. But these aren't his boards.

Edit : I have on several occasions made part of my livelyhood writing for free publications (supported, obviously, by ads). The idea that I or an editor or anyone involved could have disparaged people who got theirs late, badly printed or with substandard content because "Dude, it's FREE!" would have been preposterous on it's face then, so I'm immune to being "shamed" for applying the same standards I was held to.

Here's what I don't follow in your logic. Whether or not OOTS makes Rich money to you it is still a free product. So if the negatives ever outweight the positives for you all you have to do is stop reading it. Complaining about it doesn't make sense to me since it can't possibly be hurting you.

AnonymousOne

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
As a former Soldier I would like to point out that the 'Tower" chat is eerily close to that of an artillery strike called in on your current position....it might be too late to escape.

Let me conjecture the finish of that conversation...
The bad news is... you're about to be obliterated be the incoming Meteor Swarm/Fireball/Disintegrate or other high level Oh Crap spell you wish here....*whistling sound emulating incoming rounds* :confused:

Right, but here Halley is at least 15th level (3 attacks). Any Rogue worth his/her salt takes Improved Evasion at first chance. So Halley will make all of those reflex saving throws and the poor hobgoblin cleric is going to get nuked.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
AnonymousOne said:
Right, but here Halley is at least 15th level (3 attacks). Any Rogue worth his/her salt takes Improved Evasion at first chance. So Halley will make all of those reflex saving throws and the poor hobgoblin cleric is going to get nuked.

...and the slaves she's trying to save, and the other resistance fighters with her. Haley won't mind if they die at all. :p

Grog

First Post
Tiew said:
Here's what I don't follow in your logic. Whether or not OOTS makes Rich money to you it is still a free product. So if the negatives ever outweight the positives for you all you have to do is stop reading it. Complaining about it doesn't make sense to me since it can't possibly be hurting you.
Network TV is, to you, a free product. Are you saying you wouldn't complain to your TV station if your signal went down half the time when new episodes of your favorite shows were airing?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Grog said:
Network TV is, to you, a free product. Are you saying you wouldn't complain to your TV station if your signal went down half the time when new episodes of your favorite shows were airing?
But, of course not... And if a show he usually liked had an episode that wasn't up to par, or took characters he had grown to like in a bad (to him) direction, he would never discuss that on a thread devoted to the show, he would either just stop watching, or enjoy his free product without question or criticism. Because it's FREE! :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads