• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Opening Page of the PHB

Patrick McGill

First Post
That may be alright, because Thaumaturge doesn't want you to XP him. (Or so he says in his .signature.)

(His level title is now "Thaumaturgist," and he doesn't want that to change. If too many people give him further XP, his level title will change.)

AHHH crap, didn't notice that until after I XPed him.

Shoot shoot shoot.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Dark skin will sometimes have a blue-black hue when photographed. ... If the artist was working from such a reference photograph, the model may have appeared to have had a bit of a bluish hue to his skin.

...I would seriously hope that an artist, who probably has dealt with this kind of odd color inconsistency, would notice something like that, and compensate for it.

Agamon

Adventurer
Looks like any typical piece of art Paizo has been doing for years.

I have a chunk of soap with your mouth's name on it. :)

That pic is the antithesis of WAR's style. Thankfully.

(not to dis Mr. Reynolds - he's a helluvalot better artist than I am, I'm just not a fan)

Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
As is usual with me and threads that have many pages by the time I get to them, I've only read the first page of comments.

Not a fan of this piece. Firstly, it belongs on something called the PlayER Handbook, not the PlayerS Handbook. Secondly, having the character's skin be very close to the color of his turban and scarf just makes it difficult to see his face. Contrast, people!

Otherwise, yeah, nicely done.

JeffB

Legend
I have a chunk of soap with your mouth's name on it. :)

That pic is the antithesis of WAR's style. Thankfully.

(not to dis Mr. Reynolds - he's a helluvalot better artist than I am, I'm just not a fan)

Well I did not mean Wayne in particular. There is some art in the original Osirion player companion that is similar.

Its well done, but it does not get me excited to play D&D or dive into the book in the least.

Its all good though. If I had my druthers, I would have Roslof (rip), Dee, and Willingham doing the art ;)

Dausuul

Legend
Ditto. I can't see any similitude, really.
As I said above, a lot of 5E art has this thing where each element gets its own color palette, seemingly without regard for anything else around it. Wayne Reynolds does the same thing, and it makes his stuff look cartoony and garish. (I only just realized what it was that's been bugging me for so long.)

The proportions are much more realistic than WAR's usual style, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads