Opportunity Attack / Longbow

Obryn

Hero
You can release a hand off a weapon as a free action, and you can take free actions on turns other than your own.

-O

Infiniti2000

First Post
Unarmed rules are not very well defined. Arguably since you have a weapon equipped, you can't make unarmed attacks, but most DMs will allow it despite how horribly ineffective it is.
Very arguable! I know I certainly can so I can't imagine that my character can't. If the rules don't disallow it, then I definitely won't and I'll argue with my DM to allow it. I'll hold a spear (I just happen to have an extremely well balanced Native American stone spear) and see if'n I can't also kick 'im in the face. ;)

Kordeth

First Post
Unarmed rules are not very well defined. Arguably since you have a weapon equipped, you can't make unarmed attacks, but most DMs will allow it despite how horribly ineffective it is.

PHB p. 216 seems pretty clear:

PHB p. 216 said:
When you punch, kick, elbow, knee, or even head butt an opponent, you’re making an unarmed strike. A simple unarmed attack is treated as an improvised weapon. Creatures that have natural weapons such as claws or bite attacks are proficient with those natural weapons.

Unarmed attacks can include kicks, knees, and headbutts. You don't need a free hand to headbutt someone.

Shin Okada

Explorer
P

1. If I'm holding longbow in my hands, do I still threaten?

First of all, there is no such thing as 3e-like "threaten" in 4e combat rule. So forget about this concept. It is gone. A character does not "threaten" squares in 4e.

There is a special rule (ability) called "threatening reach". But this is a stand-alone rule bits and not based on something like "generic threaten rule".

You can make opportunity attacks if opponents provoke it from you and you are not in some specific condition which prevents you from making OA.

a.) Can I take an opportunity attack?
b.) If yes, can I use the bow as an improvised weapon or must I use an unarmed attack?

With your melee basic attack, yes. Holding a longbow or not. You can either use your unarmed attack or your longbow as an improvised weapon.

2. Do I offer flanking?

In 4e, to flank an enemy,

Opposite Sides: To flank an enemy, you and an ally must be adjacent to the enemy and on opposite sides or corners of the enemy’s space. ..

Must Be Able to Attack: You and your ally must be able to attack the enemy, whether you’re armed or unarmed....

Those 2 are the basic requirements. And the rule does not specify that you must be able to attack the enemy with melee attack. So, any type of attacks (melee, ranged, close, area) will work.

3. Are there any powers or items that allow using a longbow for an OA? (elf ranger, warlord multiclass feat, 2nd level right now)

As already pointed out, Sharpshooter paragon path would be your friend.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanks for the info, Shin Okada! Pointing out there is no threaten is a key thing, I think.

I had another thread a while back asking about the best choice between the Elf PP and the Battelarcher, but with this other monkey thrown in . . . how can I get two or three paragon paths? :)

Regicide

Banned
Banned
Very arguable! I know I certainly can so I can't imagine that my character can't. If the rules don't disallow it, then I definitely won't and I'll argue with my DM to allow it. I'll hold a spear (I just happen to have an extremely well balanced Native American stone spear) and see if'n I can't also kick 'im in the face. ;)

A kick by someone not trained in martial arts, which is like, almost all characters, is completely worthless even if you do connect, but likely you'll just get eviscerated for doing such a slow and clumsy attack if you try for the head. A martial artist who IS trained in how to kick will tell you a punch is far more effective, it's faster and hits harder. Add heavy armour and your kicking someone in the face isn't even possible.

So do you allow unarmed attacks, while armed to everyone who isn't wearing plate and similarly restrictive armour, or do you just not allow unarmed attacks to people who are armed?

As I DM I'd say they'd have to have at least one hand free and capable of wielding a weapon in order to make effective unarmed attacks. So my rule is that you need to be unarmed to make unarmed attacks...

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I would allow them to make an improvised weapon attack - how the player wants to describe it is up to them.

It could be whapping the target with the bow (which to me personally seems silly), stabbing it with an arrow (a la Legolas), kicking it... whatever.

Thanee

First Post
I don't know about you, Regicide, but a kick to the shin can hurt plenty. No need to [chuck norris]roundhouse kick[/chuck norris] or [jet li]flying kick[/jet li] someone. :D

The damage of unarmed attacks is pathetic, usually, and it's harder to hit with them (no proficiency bonus), so it's not like they are comparable with weapon attacks. But still, they do some damage and are not completely ineffectual.

@Mort_Q: There are a few more conditions, than unconscious, that prevent OAs. Dazed, for example, is already sufficient.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads