D&D 5E (OPTIMIZATION) THE NAMELESS KING ! THE WIZARD's NIGHTMARE! LAST BOSS

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Even with clone (which wasn't on your spell list provided by the way), you still have to start at your lair, get to my wizards location without a simulacrum (possibly can trade a level 9 wish for this) and you have no magic items now. My wizards have all your magic items now :)

Speaking of clone. Each of my wizards can have clone as well. Even if you do catch and find a way to kill them good luck! They will respawn with 3 meteor swarms and be able to wreck havoc on you again.

Read Premisses again (Doesn't have Simulacrum? I don't remember you killer him or find him)

3 Meteor Swarm isn't enough to kill Nameless King. You need minium 4. The Simulacrum Distant Dimension Door + Revify + Nameless King Distant Teleport can be useful here.

Read Premisses, All Nameless King magic itens is Instant Summons. You don't have any item.

Nice, Wizards without meteor swarm is easy target.

pukunui

Legend
That's fine. I'll go the opposite route and assume the text in Xanathar's was a deliberate choice and that it can only mean that they wanted to allow that one to be cast with spell slots. I dunno which way JC will Tweet Rule it. I've been wrong about quite a few, but mostly it seems to me his Tweet Rules don't seem to solely follow RAW quite as strongly as his reputation suggests. Either way, I guess time will tell.
JC has responded: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/937860581180162049

So in this case, I was correct: the Nameless King cannot by RAW use his spell slots to cast the spells he gains through Wood Elf Magic. Therefore, he can only cast pass without trace once per long rest.

Insect Cloud ...
You conveniently left out the bit about a 10 mph wind being enough to blow the cloud of insects away. So the party just needs to include a druid (or some such) that can cast control weather and that will make the staff useless.

All Nameless King magic itens is Instant Summons. You don't have any item.
Can you please explain to me how this works? What is this "Instant Summons" thing and how has your villain applied it to all his magic items?

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
JC has responded: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/937860581180162049

So in this case, I was correct: the Nameless King cannot by RAW use his spell slots to cast the spells he gains through Wood Elf Magic. Therefore, he can only cast pass without trace once per long rest.

You conveniently left out the bit about a 10 mph wind being enough to blow the cloud of insects away. So the party just needs to include a druid (or some such) that can cast control weather and that will make the staff useless.

The Great JC has spoken. Looks like it doesn't work :( That kind of saddens me. Though I'm not surprised. But I guess it makes our Nameless One fight far easier.

I still don't see how what he's saying can be claimed as anything else than RAI in this instance but that's just me. Oh well.

mgshamster

First Post

Or the fact that those insects have some amount of HP and that they can't survive the 120 damage that the first meteor swarm is doing to them.

pukunui

Legend
I still don't see how what he's saying can be claimed as anything else than RAI in this instance but that's just me. Oh well.
Yes, I think in this case it's just you. It makes sense to me. But I will admit that there have been a number of things JC has said (both on Twitter and in the Sage Advice Compendium) that have left me wondering why he didn't just word it that way in the book in the first place.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
The Great JC has spoken. Looks like it doesn't work :( That kind of saddens me. Though I'm not surprised. But I guess it makes our Nameless One fight far easier.

Detail his statement is completely wrong.
"[FONT=&quot]I understand the wording is different. The part that's relevant is that you have to follow your class's spellcasting rules. Wood Elf Magic, etc don't say you learn the spell or that it counts as a <Insert Class Here> spell for you."[/FONT]
. He stated that docking was right, but he is wrong. Jeremy said he's totally right? What?
He did not even read it.

or learn the magic of the primeval woods. You learn one druid cantrip of your choice. You also learn longstrider and pass without trace, each of which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to cast the spell in this way when you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells."

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Read Premisses again (Doesn't have Simulacrum? I don't remember you killer him or find him)

3 Meteor Swarm isn't enough to kill Nameless King. You need minium 4. The Simulacrum Distant Dimension Door + Revify + Nameless King Distant Teleport can be useful here.

Read Premisses, All Nameless King magic itens is Instant Summons. You don't have any item.

Nice, Wizards without meteor swarm is easy target.

1. The simulacrum will be within a mile of the Nameless One no? That seems like a pretty reasonable assumption? 1000 ft teleport doesn't help when I have a spell that covers a mile. Your casters don't have teleport, only dimension door.

Remove ads