• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (OPTIMIZATION) THE NAMELESS KING ! THE WIZARD's NIGHTMARE! LAST BOSS

pukunui

Legend
Wrongly, in 5e Spells Slots are Spells Slots. It ins't restrict to Sorcerer Spells or Paladin Spells or Ranger. It works normally. Flexibe Casting creat spell slots and not Sorcerer Spells slots.
Wood Elf Magic: "You also learn the longstrider and pass without trace spells, each of which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to cast these two spells in this way when you finish a long rest." Nowhere does it say you get to add those spells to your list of spells known so you can cast them with your class spell slots. You get to cast them each once per day and that's it.

Of course, His Major Images, Programmed Illusion
Meh. Truesight can deal with the illusions easily enough. Besides, we don't need to know exactly where your villain is because we know he has to be in the center of that 30 ft diameter globe of darkness hovering in the air (or the 30 ft diameter hemisphere of darkness if he's standing on the featureless plane that allows for no cover anywhere).

3) Distant Counterspell.
That only has a range of 120 ft. Plus, your villain can't cast counterspell if he's already used his reaction to cast the shield spell on that round.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Wood Elf Magic: "You also learn the longstrider and pass without trace spells, each of which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to cast these two spells in this way when you finish a long rest." Nowhere does it say you get to add those spells to your list of spells known so you can cast them with your class spell slots. You get to cast them each once per day and that's it.
Wrong, you can cast it without expend spells slot once per rest. Ok, This does not restrict use spells slots, such as Magic Initiate.
Meh. Truesight can deal with the illusions easily enough. Besides, we don't need to know exactly where your villain is because we know he has to be in the center of that 30ft diameter globe of darkness hovering in the air.
Truesight is ONLY 120' and once per long rest.
" I will get you! Teleport! Ops, its an illusion... I wasted my teleport...Where is here?"
Heres-the-OMG-cat-the-feline-with-one-expression-for-everything3__880.jpeg
Also, Distant Programmed Illusion has range out 120'. It's a big problem for Truesight.

That only has a range of 120 ft. Plus, your villain can't cast counterspell if he's already used his reaction to cast the shield spell on that round.

It has 2 reactions, The Nameless King and his Simulacrum.
Whatever, It hasnt enough range to be a threat.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Wrong, you can cast it without expend spells slot once per rest. Ok, This does not restrict use spells slots, such as Magic Initiate.
The feat does not add the spells to your list of spells known. You cannot cast the spells referred to in the feat using your sorcerer or warlock spell slots. If you look in the Sage Advice Compendium, you will see that Jeremy Crawford has said that the 1st level spell gained from the Magic Initiate feat can be cast using class spells slots only if the spell chosen appears on the relevant class spell list. In this case, pass without trace is neither a cleric spell, a sorcerer spell, or a warlock spell, so I'm afraid your villain is stuck using it once per day.

It has 2 reactions, The Nameless King and his Simulacrum.
But they're both going to be using their reaction to cast shield every round, aren't they?

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
The feat does not add the spells to your list of spells known. You cannot cast the spells referred to in the feat using your sorcerer or warlock spell slots. If you look in the Sage Advice Compendium, you will see that Jeremy Crawford has said that the 1st level spell gained from the Magic Initiate feat can be cast using class spells slots only if the spell chosen appears on the relevant class spell list. In this case, pass without trace is neither a cleric spell, a sorcerer spell, or a warlock spell, so I'm afraid your villain is stuck using it once per day.
Wait, Spells slots is avaiable to any spells (Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Sorcerer, Wizard).

But they're both going to be using their reaction to cast shield every round, aren't they?

Obviouly not, just when needed.
Rarely if Shield is used, their attack is out of range.

pukunui

Legend
Wait, Spells slots is avaiable to any spells (Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Sorcerer, Wizard).
Sort of. Nevertheless, your villain is still limited to spells from the cleric, sorcerer, and warlock spell lists.

By the way, here's the relevant bit from Sage Advice concerning Magic Initiate:

If you have spell slots, can you use them to cast the 1st-level spell you learn with the Magic Initiate feat? Yes, but only if the class you pick for the feat is one of your classes. For example, if you pick sorcerer and you are a sorcerer, the Spellcasting feature for that class tells you that you can use your spell slots to cast the sorcerer spells you know, so you can use your spell slots to cast the 1st-level sorcerer spell you learn from Magic Initiate. Similarly, if you are a wizard and pick that class for the feat, you learn a 1st-level wizard spell, which you could add to your spellbook and subsequently prepare.
In short, you must follow your character’s normal spellcasting rules, which determine whether you can expend spell slots on the 1st-level spell you learn from Magic Initiate.
Without further clarification from Jeremy Crawford, I would say Wood Elf Magic (and its sibling feats) operate in the same way. So unless you have taken levels in a class that for which pass without trace is a class spell (druid, ranger, trickery cleric), then you cannot use your spell slots to cast it.

Obviouly not, just when needed.
OK. The way you've worded your build in the original post makes it look like your villain intends to have shield up all the time.

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Not exactly. But here's the relevant bit from Sage Advice concerning Magic Initiate:

Without further clarification from Jeremy Crawford, I would say Wood Elf Magic (and its sibling feats) operate in the same way. So unless you have taken levels in a class that for which pass without trace is a class spell (druid, ranger, trickery cleric), then you cannot use your spell slots to cast it.

OK. The way you've worded your build in the original post makes it look like your villain intends to have shield up all the time.

All wrong, Magic Initiate you must choose one class:
"Choose a class: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard."

While Wood Elf Magic isn't. ;) No, Wood Elf Magic doesn't operate in the same way.

mgshamster

First Post
It can't ever pass Sanctuary Spell or Major Images.
Your "archer' damage and range are mediocre.
Your ranger are completely weak(It's a joke, a good new Skelleton) and the villain need not even appear, only Undeads is enough to defeat it.

Hahaha. Oh man. Thanks for that.

Ya see, I never said "ranger." In fact, I never had a ranger build and neither did anyone else. You made that same exact mistake on the GitP thread.

You repeating that mistake here just outs you as the same person. So when you denied knowing what anyone was talking about - that was you lying to everyone here.

pukunui

Legend
All wrong, Magic Initiate you must choose one class:
"Choose a class: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard."

While Wood Elf Magic isn't. ;) No, Wood Elf Magic doesn't operate in the same way.
Perhaps. Nevertheless, I think you will find your interpretation is incorrect and that you cannot use your spell slots to cast the feat's spells more than once per day each.

EDIT: You could argue that Wood Elf Magic operates more like a racial trait that Magic Initiate, in which case this tweet from Jeremy Crawford would most likely apply: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/935660582870454272

Also: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/931615578468450304

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Hahaha. Oh man. Thanks for that.

Ya see, I never said "ranger." In fact, I never had a ranger build and neither did anyone else. You made that same exact mistake on the GitP thread.

You repeating that mistake here just outs you as the same person. So when you denied knowing what anyone was talking about - that was you lying to everyone here.

1200' vs 600' and mediocre damage. Why am I still responding you?.

mgshamster

First Post
1200' vs 600' and mediocre damage. Why am I still responding you?.

I love how your character is both 1200 feet away to be far enough from a long bow attack AND 120 feet away to be close enough for dispel magic.

And 120 damage per shot isn't mediocre damage. It's an average of 950 damage per round.

Remove ads