D&D 5E Optional Rule: Subclass Gestalt

GlassJaw

Hero
I wouldn't just outright give them the abilities of two subclasses but I'm all for opening up choice in 5E. I've been working on a system that puts all subclass abilities into a "pool" and allow a character to build the subclass they want (with some restrictions).

For example, if a Lore bard wants to trade Cutting Words for Combat Inspiration, I'd allow that.

However, to do it right, the path system needs more granularity. More path features need to be granted, some path features would need to be broken up into smaller chunks, and new abilities added to balance things out.

Weiley31

Legend
I think for the sake of balance, it should only be two classes. Three or more sound like alot of upkeep and remembering things.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If you wanted to open it right up, most of the sub class stuff either appears as single abilities or as short 2-3 ability trees. Shouldn't be too complicated. Spellcasting is a little bit stickier for the 1/3 casters, something would have to be done to split casting levels up, perhaps decoupling caster level from character level maybe, IDK.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I find it unnecessary personally.

If you want "interesting roleplay" you do not need any subclasses to do it. You just decide what is important to your character or what has influenced your character's life and you play it that way. If your character was to be a devout and religious person of a dark god you wouldn't need to take Sorcerer, Divine Soul, and Shadow to do it... you just play a religious character that believes in that. You could be the standard Life Cleric and be a devout and religious person of a dark god based upon how you behave in character.

Or if you want just more game mechanics to use when you play the combat mini-game, I suppose you could tie it to the subclass system, but you could just as easily give out more feats, give out more magic items, allow whatever multiclassing you want, or any other junk that gives more game mechanics for the player to sort through.

Although personally... I find there to already be more than enough game mechanics players can use when doing the combat mini-game that I don't find adding more to the classes to be a feature. In fact... the more mechanics you give to players through classes makes the mechanics they get through magic items have much less import and thus an important "reward system" of the game is made less important. So I'd actually say giving more mechanics to the players via classes and subclasses to actually be a bug.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I don't have a firm grasp of class balance in 5e because it's not my cup of tea... but I see some non-mechanical problems.

Some classes (Fighter, Rogue, Bard) have subclasses that are generally very much thematically compatible with eachother. Some classes (Sorcerer, Warlock, Paladin) have subclasses that are generally very much not. Others have mentioned that classes vary considerably in how much they get from the base class and how much they get from the subclass-- and this isn't merely a balance problem, it's a thematic problem as well.

It would require considerable reworking of classes and subclasses, but I'd like to see how it turns out-- I'd also like to see this system implemented (without multiclassing) where characters could take one class with two subclasses, or two classes with no subclass or the bare minimum subclass(es) for their classes.

G

Guest 6801328

To do something interesting and different and new way to personalize your character and/or make them a little bit more versitile, fun RP.

To point out the obvious, RP doesn't require mechanics.

I get the allure, because the idea presses an emotional button for me, too. But it's the "MORE POWAH!" button, which I don't think is a good one to feed.

the Jester

Legend
What's the goal here? Is there a problem you're trying to fix? A playstyle you're trying to achieve? Or is this change for the sake of change?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think a better idea my be to allow subclasses to choose features from other subclasses in the same class when they reach the next award.

For example, a Fighter might begin with BM at level 3, but decide Know Your Enemy doesn't fit the concept as well as Remarkable Athlete would, so they take Remarkable Athlete at level 7 instead.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases