• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orange Dragon

qstor

Adventurer
Scott, Boz or Erica did you ever write this one up? It was from Dragon 248 and its first editon stats were in Dragon 65. That sodium breath weapon rocks!

There was also a version of the Yellow Dragon there. There was a Purple Dragon too with an energy breath weapon.

Getting ready for a Dragonstar game I'm developing!

Mike

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i think there was a pink dragon in one of the april issues of Dragon mag...

:)

as for the others, well, dragons are painful to convert. LOL
i'll get around to them eventually if no one else does first, i imagine. :)

qstor

Adventurer
Any idea on how the sodium breath would work?

The base armor class is -1 and the base hit dice is 12 which is age four of the dragon. Should I base the conversion "around" age 4 and work with that?

It's a water based dragon as well. The rough swim conversion from 2nd ed of a swim 9, would only give it a swim of 20ft. I was thinking of bumping it up since a black dragon has a swim of 40ft.

Anyone? Bueller???

Mike

Sojourn

First Post
The Orange Dragon appears in (Spoiler Alert) Under the Storm Giant's Castle, one of my favorite 1st Edition 3rd party modules. Young even by 1st Ed standards, converting over to 3rd Ed stats from the Dragon Compendium, he comes out as a very young (age 2) dragon. I fine-tuned him as a Mandarin Orange Dragon and made him from Kara-Tur (fitting, since the other dragon in the module is only known as "Chinese Dragon") which makes his friend and foster guardian Acorn a Wu-Jen Dracolyte (Foster Dragon) Dracomancer. Although the module's author intends that Acorn die during the adventure, one of the 3 parties I ran thru the module managed to save him in the nick of time, and Acorn is still a power player in Kara-Tur politics. A good thing, since right now K-T is at war with the Mainland in my campaign after a PC abducted the Empress. Funny how people can take something like that the wrong way. As for the Pink Dragon, I do have the Dragon Magazine it appeared in, but I used different stats for "Rose"- a hybrid Red/White dragon, all the stats of a Red Great Wyrm, but able to use fire or ice breath, and immune to both those elements- setting the party a strong challenge, since cold is one of the primary weapons used to fight off Red Dragons. Rose is more Lawful Neutral than Chaotic Evil, and is a guardian of several "good" artifacts- holy swords and armor, Lasko's fountain, etc. Instead of killing those who intrude on her arboretum- a rose hedge maze- she asks them to prove their worth. No one has reached her lair to take the challenge yet, but a PC having to justify himself in some way other than combat will be interesting.

Remove ads