D&D 5E Orcs and Drow in YOUR game (poll */comments +)

How is the portrayal of orcs and/or drow changing in your game? Check ALL that apply. (Anonymous)

• Not applicable (both orcs and drow are absent from our game setting)

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Not relevant (both orcs and drow are there but very peripheral in our game setting)

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Currently, orcs and drow are Any Alignment in our game

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Currently, orcs OR drow are Typically Evil in our game

Votes: 95 43.0%
  • Currently, orcs OR drow are Always Evil in our game

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • In our game setting, orcs and drow will continue to be Any Alignment

Votes: 59 26.7%
  • In our game setting, orcs and drow might change from Evil to Any Alignment

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • In our game setting, orcs and drow will definitely change from Evil to Any Alignment

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • But we want (more) help or guidance from official published WoTC material

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • But we want (more) help or guidance from 3rd party publishers

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • But we want (more) help or guidance from online forums/groups

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • And we don't need any help to make these changes; we've already got it covered

Votes: 80 36.2%
  • I don't know / not sure

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Added: In our game setting, orcs and drow will continue to be Typically Evil Alignment

Votes: 76 34.4%

• Poll closed .

MGibster

Legend
The drow in my campaign, which is under construction but hasn't been played yet, are extreme isolationist who live in a deep dark forest but they're not evil. Visitors are allowed to use one road into one city to engage in trade but those who stray from the path are typically never seen again. The drow are actually quite wealthy as they are known for the finest silks in all the land.

Lyxen

Great Old One
For example, if somebody killed Lolth, and all the drow were suddenly any Alignment again, without being under her influence, that for example would qualify as a shift in portrayal.

Or if your PCs went to a different Material World where races were of any alignment, that would qualify as a shift in portrayal.

Could be any reason at all whatsoever OR having no reason at all to make any changes, in your game.

The thing is that we might do such changes as part of one campaign, for example for our Eberron campaign, but that does not mean that we would be making the change forever for whatever reasons. For example, we have an undergoing Eberron campaign in which orcs are of any alignment in parallel with another campaign where orcs are typically evil, and another one where there are simply no orcs. And that will go on, we will not be making changes overall due to ethics or whatever, but there might be local changes just because of the nature of some
campaigns.

I might actually start a campaign based on @AcererakTriple6's idea of Maglubiyet being at the center of fey goblins corruption. In the end, if freed from that influence, the goblins might become less typically evil (I'm putting "less" because it might take a long time for cultures to change). But I would be doing it for the story, not for any other reason.

But not all of us play in the Forgotten Realms settings in which the gods are either meddlesome or objectively real.
God am I happy to not playing in that world too. :)
The basic premise of D&D is that the gods are there. They can and will meddle in mortals affair. Yes you can do otherwise, but in doing so, you leave the basic premise and thus the "always" and "generaly" need not apply after that.

DarkMantle

Explorer
The thing is that we might do such changes as part of one campaign, for example for our Eberron campaign, but that does not mean that we would be making the change forever for whatever reasons. For example, we have an undergoing Eberron campaign in which orcs are of any alignment in parallel with another campaign where orcs are typically evil, and another one where there are simply no orcs. And that will go on, we will not be making changes overall due to ethics or whatever, but there might be local changes just because of the nature of some campaigns.
That's true. Ideally, this was a programmed survey, where it altered the questions slightly based on inputs like

Question 1: How many campaign settings are you currently playing in?

Question 2: Do you have drow in your game setting #1?

Question 3: Do you have orc in your game setting #1?

etc. etc. and it would customize the questions

DarkMantle

Explorer
I might actually start a campaign based on @AcererakTriple6's idea of Maglubiyet being at the center of fey goblins corruption. In the end, if freed from that influence, the goblins might become less typically evil (I'm putting "less" because it might take a long time for cultures to change). But I would be doing it for the story, not for any other reason.

If you do that, you could select "But we want (more) help or guidance from online forums/group"

Because you used @AcererakTriple6 's help ;)

Yes exactly.

For example, if somebody killed Lolth, and all the drow were suddenly any Alignment again, without being under her influence, that for example would qualify as a shift in portrayal.

Now, I'd really like to run an adventure where the heroes tries to analyze the link between the God's voice and a biological race, estimate that actually killing Lolth would be a solution, learn (just when facing her) that killing her would kill the drow and leave them catatonic as only her presence make them awake, only for the heroes to have to embark into a very Gloranthan God Learner quest to change the true nature of Lolth in order to have the drow freed. If you wanted a result to this discussion, thank you because you just got me an overarching campaign idea.

DarkMantle

Explorer
Now, I'd really like to run an adventure where the heroes tries to analyze the link between the God's voice and a biological race, estimate that actually killing Lolth would be a solution, learn (just when facing her) that killing her would kill the drow and leave them catatonic as only her presence make them awake, only for the heroes to have to embark into a very Gloranthan God Learner quest to change the true nature of Lolth in order to have the drow freed. If you wanted a result to this discussion, thank you because you just got me an overarching campaign idea.
Ha ha, that's awesome! (And yes, I like results to discussions a lot :) )

Remove ads