D&D 5E Orcs and Drow in YOUR game (poll */comments +)

How is the portrayal of orcs and/or drow changing in your game? Check ALL that apply. (Anonymous)

• Not applicable (both orcs and drow are absent from our game setting)

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Not relevant (both orcs and drow are there but very peripheral in our game setting)

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Currently, orcs and drow are Any Alignment in our game

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Currently, orcs OR drow are Typically Evil in our game

Votes: 95 43.0%
  • Currently, orcs OR drow are Always Evil in our game

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • In our game setting, orcs and drow will continue to be Any Alignment

Votes: 59 26.7%
  • In our game setting, orcs and drow might change from Evil to Any Alignment

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • In our game setting, orcs and drow will definitely change from Evil to Any Alignment

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • But we want (more) help or guidance from official published WoTC material

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • But we want (more) help or guidance from 3rd party publishers

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • But we want (more) help or guidance from online forums/groups

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • And we don't need any help to make these changes; we've already got it covered

Votes: 80 36.2%
  • I don't know / not sure

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Added: In our game setting, orcs and drow will continue to be Typically Evil Alignment

Votes: 76 34.4%

• Poll closed .

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm sorry, if the introduction to the cleric class in BECMI is not enough to show that clerics of that edition gain their magic from faith alone. (Never mind that gods were purposefully expunged from BECMI and later.)

In post 224 you said they also weren't in B/X. His quotes seem to show that they were ... ::🤷::. If you're shifting to the later BECMI, then that may we'll be different.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Hey, we had our Drow ranger way before Drizzt.... But I do agree that from mysterious dangerous and lethal vilains, they became almost a farcical race now doing a lot of thing either good or bad. By making them so readily available, they have lost their appeal, at least for me and quite a few of other DMs in my area.
Sometime on the mid-80s I remember Drow being a popular choice for the more power gamery in our group. Iirc, one of them got either gauntlets of ogre power or a girdle ofmgiant strength and would launch my character at opponents. Our "gnome flinger" wasn't as effective as Colossus and Wolverine's "fastball special", but it was fun.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
In post 224 you said they also weren't in B/X. His quotes seem to show that they were ... ::🤷::. If you're shifting to the later BECMI, then that may we'll be different.
I was wrong about B/X (as Lyxen pointed out with photographic quotes). I thought the god expunging happened earlier than it did.

Last edited:

Remove ads