Orcus "Last Word"

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Shemeska said:
Isn't it only speculation however that the Words of Creation Once Spoken in 'Vecna Reborn' are in any way connected to the Last Word and its ilk on Pelion? The stuff that Vecna had was referred to as words in the 'language primeval', which has been a term tossed around once or twice elsewhere. None of the same terms were ever mentioned in Dead Gods, and while the Last Word and its manner of magic devoured Tenebrous in the end, and would obliterate anything but the most powerful beings, Vecna as a mere demigod never had any issues learning the magic he used in Vecna Reborn, etc.

I'll hold that they're both powerful forms of magic, but not related.

It's not explicitly stated, but it seems quite clear. Just because Pelion was never mentioned is no reason to discount it, as Vecna was taught Creation Once Spoken by the Serpent, who is the supposed summation of all magic. Likewise, stating what language the Words are used in (the Language Primeval) doesn't contradict anything in Dead Gods, which doesn't mention the language of the Words.

Finally, Dead Gods makes it clear that any god can learn and use the Words safely. Since Vecna was a demigod, it makes perfect sense that learning Creation Once Spoken wouldn't harm him.

Banshee16

First Post
Shemeska said:
Isn't it only speculation however that the Words of Creation Once Spoken in 'Vecna Reborn' are in any way connected to the Last Word and its ilk on Pelion? The stuff that Vecna had was referred to as words in the 'language primeval', which has been a term tossed around once or twice elsewhere. None of the same terms were ever mentioned in Dead Gods, and while the Last Word and its manner of magic devoured Tenebrous in the end, and would obliterate anything but the most powerful beings, Vecna as a mere demigod never had any issues learning the magic he used in Vecna Reborn, etc.

I'll hold that they're both powerful forms of magic, but not related.

Hmm.....so Vecna and Orcus were introducing the powers of Truenamers!

All kidding aside, you guys have covered everything. There was something with the Rod of Orcus possessing enough stored up power to allow Tenebrous to survive after having learned th Last Word. And one diety, a goddess of love, almost survived having it used on him.

On a side note, I think the whole Dead Gods campaign ties in well with Monte Cook's requiem for a god....which, I guess, isn't a surprise, since he wrote both books.

Banshee

Ripzerai

Explorer
Shemeska said:
Isn't it only speculation however that the Words of Creation Once Spoken in 'Vecna Reborn' are in any way connected to the Last Word and its ilk on Pelion?

That was Monte Cook's intention, according to his email to the Planescape Mailing List before the book was published. I can't find it now, but it was something like, "For those interested in the Last Word, I elaborate on the subject in the upcoming Vecna Reborn."

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's also worth noting that before it closed, on the Kargatane website, their notes regarding the adventure on its page mentioned that it was one of the Words originally introduced in Dead Gods.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Word!

Besides Orcus, where to really, really deadly Words start to appear in fantasy?

I'd say the first of the big ones is in C. S. Lewis: The Magicians Nephew: wielded by the Empress Jadis AKA the White Witch: the Deplorable Word: eliminates everyone except her. At the end of the book Aslan makes allusions to it which seem like a hint as to A-bombs.

Any other examples?

Remove ads