[OT] Art History. Need Term Paper Ideas

In order to complete my second B.S. degree, I have to take an Art History class. The only one offered covers from Prehistoric times to about the time of the Etruscans. It is a survey course that covers the Mediterranean, the Middle East, India, and China and Japan.

I need to write a term paper on something from that region and time frame. I would appreciate suggestions. Something that I can research easily, calling upon the full resources of the University of California library system (I've paid for the full alumni benefits, so I have library priviledges). Also, if there are examples within the northern or eastern San Francisco bay area, or in the Sacramento region (e.g., museums), that'd be great, as well.

Can anyone help? My preference, art-wise, is architecture, but after that would be sculpture, mosaics, that tile-thingie (sorry, I have problems with forgetting words; you take bits of tile and put them into plaster to create a picture, to be distinguished from mosaics, where you dab paint into plaster), and regular painting.

Thanks,
Heretic Apostate

tleilaxu

First Post
Neolithic pottery from the Yellow River area: An analysis of the evolution of artistic motifs and the rise of Dynastic power during the Zhou Dynasty.

badda bing

William Ronald

Explorer
You mentioned architecture was a passion. How about the development of temple architecture in Ancient Egypt. It would perhaps be good to look at a specific era. (Possibly Akhenaten's attempt to promote monotheism.) Or you could focus on the differences between Sumerian and Egyptian temples.

Maerdwyn

First Post
How about the architecture of the Temple in Jerusalem, and or the art inside it?

There's lots available on the subject, comparing the two (very different) descriptions of the Temple in the Bible, info on materials imported to the region from foreign sources, and on the depictions of various middle eastern mythological themes inside the temple (cherubim and seraphim, etc.).

Maerdwyn

First Post
Another idea is to do a comparison of coind from a particular area over a period of time, or from a variety of places during a particular time. Alexander (is 4th century BCE too late?) is depicted on coins ranging from India to North Africa during his life and the years following, for example.

Shadowdancer

First Post
How about a comparison of how the different cultures of that era decorated their tombs? I recently saw touring exhibit at the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth of ancient Chinese art from the Sichuan Province that covered art from the 13th century B.C. to the 3rd century A.D. What I found interesting in the latter era, they would decorate their tombs with images of everyday life, because they believed the deceased would need those items in the afterlife. They would even make terra cotta and bronze statues of servants, tomb guards, musicians, horses to ride, etc. And money trees, so they would have some cash to spend.

I know the Egyptians used to bury their dead with usefull items for the afterlife as well.

William Ronald said:
You mentioned architecture was a passion. How about the development of temple architecture in Ancient Egypt. It would perhaps be good to look at a specific era. (Possibly Akhenaten's attempt to promote monotheism.) Or you could focus on the differences between Sumerian and Egyptian temples.

Now THIS appeals to me. Only question is if I can write 5 - 10 pages on it..... (I'm not big on writing. :) )

Tanager

Now THIS appeals to me. Only question is if I can write 5 - 10 pages on it..... (I'm not big on writing. )

Quite easily I'd imagine, if you've left enough time for research. ;)

Akhenaten's reign is interesting as it was a fairly radical shift in belief structure (or an attempt at one depending on how one looks at it) as well as fascinating appropriation of the previous semiotics fo egyptian art.

If you go with the comparitive temple architecture study, you can always pad with sections on sculpture and or civic planning around the temple if needed.

Rollo Le Brun

First Post
I say go Etruscan! I'm not an expert but very little about the Etruscans ever seems to make it to the general public. I've seen some interesting things about their need for the beautification of everything, including architecture/tombs.
If your working on your second Bull S#*@ degree why are you worried about 5 pages?;)
Luck!

Wolf72

Explorer
Heretic Apostate said:

Now THIS appeals to me. Only question is if I can write 5 - 10 pages on it..... (I'm not big on writing. :) )

5-10 pages will probably just frustrate you if you find good material. (don't want to write more than that! ;) )

I'm not big on writing either ... but when I have good subject with good material length is not usually an issue

Remove ads