• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT]Favorite Magic cards?

Westwind

First Post
I play "fairly serious" magic, but mostly Type 1, so finding sanctioned events can be tough. I own a ton of power cards and from them I really like:

Ancestral Recall (best. card. ever.)
Mana Drain
Morphling
Mind Twist
Yawgmoth's Will (lotus for BBB, will, lotus for UUU, ancestral, time walk..God, I love that play).
Misdirection
Survival of the Fittest
Library of Alexandria
Mana Crypt (pre-errata and new edition rulings)
Nether Void
Dwarven Miner
Rancor

Other cards that don't make the cut in my tournament decks but I love to play around with are:

Jester's Cap
Skull of Orm (for that Control Magic/City of Shadows/Life Chisel synergy!)
Kjeldoran Outpost
Frenetic Efreet (or anything with phasing)
anything with flanking
Browse
Living Plane (and Drop of Honey)
Winter Orb

reapersaurus

Explorer
Westwind said:
Yawgmoth's Will (lotus for BBB, will, lotus for UUU, ancestral, time walk..God, I love that play).

Skull of Orm (for that Control Magic/City of Shadows/Life Chisel synergy!)
So does Yawgmoth's Will really only help you if you have a Black Lotus to work with it in the same hand?

And how does City of Shadows and Life Chisel work together synergistically?
You can only sacrifice the Contolr Magicked creature to either the City OR the Chisel, right?

And Life Chisel has one of the creepiest, morbid pieces of art I've seen on a Magic card.

Don Carnage

First Post
Time!

I played long, long ago. I quit and sold just before Ice Age came out. After that, I have no idea what was in Magic.

One thing I always loved was Time. I like using it, messing with it, changing it... it's a hobby. :)

Time Elemental
Time Walk
Time Twister

... Sniffle, I'm getting all nostalgic now.

I agree though, that the best card of all time was the Juzam Djinn. Best. Card. Ever.

Last edited:

Gizzard

First Post
I play "fairly serious" magic, but mostly Type 1

Ah, Type I. Are you on www.themanadrain.com ? Its the best place I have found to discuss serious T1.

As for the people who said that they can't play MtG anymore because their cards arent legal, well, theres always T1. ;-)

So does Yawgmoth's Will really only help you if you have a Black Lotus to work with it in the same hand?

Will (also known mockingly as "Yawgmoths Win") is as good as your graveyard is. The play mentioned assumes that you've already played Ancestral and Timewalk once this game. So, Lotus->BBB->Will. Fetch Lotus from 'yard. Crack Lotus for UUU. Fetch Timewalk from 'yard for UU. Fetch Ancestral for U. But I could do the same trick as long as I have enough mana. The Lotus is very good, but not required at all.

What are your favorite magic cards?

Right now, Mishras Workshop, Juggernaut, Su-Chi and Survival of the Fittest. TnT baby. ;-)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads