• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] I hereby declare it to be BBQ season!

Agback

Explorer
G'day

Well, around here the poplars and mulberry trees are starting to yellow, and the locals have packed away their swimming costumes until November. I have just planted my spring bulbs.

But allow me to suggest:

Mixed Satays

Take a bunch of bamboo skewers and soak them in water.

Take some beef cut into 1" cubes (4 per guest) and red capsicum cut into 1" squares and thread them alternately onto skewers (4 pieces of beef per skewer). Make a marinade of 1/3 red wine vinegar, 2/3 walnut oil, whole grain mustard, pink peppercorns (schinus), bay leaf, and garlic. Marinate the beef satays for 24 hours.

Take some chicken breast cut into pieces 1" by 1" by 1/2" (five per guest), and thread it onto skewers (five piece per skewer), alternating with pieces of white onion. Make a marinade of dry white wine, peanut oil, and satay sauce (peanuts, chilli, and dried shrimp). Marinate the chicken satays for 12 hours.

Take a whole lot of large green (ie. raw) prawns or shrimp (3 large ones per guest), remove the heads and legs, and shell them leaving the tail and the last joint before the tail. Then de-vein them with a small but sharp knife. Thread three onto each skewer, impaling each one twice (fore and aft) so that they are lined up in full pike position. Make a marinade of 1/3 lime juice, 1/3 coconut milk, and 1/3 macadamia or hazelnut oil, green ginger, lime zest, and a touch of chilli. Marinate the prawns for 12 hours.

Cook the satays quickly on a hot plate. Serve them as an appetiser, with a simple salad.

For a main course, why not get a boned shoulder of pork, stuff it with apples and cinnamon, or with mangos and allspice, roll it, barbecue it slowly, and serve with whole barbecued onions?

And for a dessert, stew frozen raspberries and blueberries in rum, ladle it over slices of apple shortcake, and top with whipped cream laced with rum. Or try a traditional Pavlova.

Regards,

Agback

maddman75

First Post
One of my good friends runs all our barbeques. Here's his sauce recipe, as I recall it.

- Honey BBQ sauce
- Honey Mustard (equal parts)
- Oregano
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper

Brush over steak, pork chops, or burgers. Can't describe how good this is :).

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Mmmm... the coookin' at the Gospog household come game night. Burgers, dogs, cooked outside. That's barbeque enough for me. Up here, there's no difference between "cooking out" and "barbeque"... of course, up here, there's no difference among the carolinas and virginias... it's just "the south".

Game night tomorrow! I look forward to the goodness. Hey, Gospog, we need milkshakes. Either that or I'm just really in the mood for a milkshake right now.

...yeah, I really want a milkshake.

Remove ads