Share some Thanksgiving Diner recipies

Shard O'Glase

First Post
On this american holiday we eat, we eat a lot. Lets share some recipies we use for our meals, maybe we can all try something new.

Here are 4 recipies I like and have used both for and not for thanksgiving. I got them from Alton Brown on Food network, Bon Appétit through epicurious.com., and Gourmet also through epicurious.

The last two are both stuffing recipies, both are great though with the rye bread one I prefer a dark rye. The 1st recipie is a bread pudding using cornmeal.

The 2nd is a nice cornbread which I use by itself and also in the 3rd recipie which is a cornbread stuffing.

Sweet Corn Bread PuddingRecipe courtesy Alton Brown

1/2 onion, diced fine
1 ounce unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1 (15-ounce) can creamed style sweet corn
1 cup heavy cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, whole grain, stone ground
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Ground black pepper
2 cups cubed French bread
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Sweat onions with butter and herbs in an oven safe skillet until translucent.
Combine corn, cream, eggs, baking powder, cornmeal, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add cubed bread and fold to combine. Pour batter into skillet, right on top of the onion mixture. Bake 50 minutes, or until set. Cool slightly before serving.

Creamed Corn Corn Bread, Alton Brown Food network.

2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup creamed corn
2 tablespoons canola oil
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.
In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.
In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.
Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE AND CORN BREAD STUFFING
Bruce Aidells, founder of Aidells Sausage Company, says, "Stuffing was the most important part of my family’s holiday menu. The turkey was always overcooked, but the stuffing was moist and delicious. We usually had two, sometimes three stuffings, but I leaned toward the kind with sausage. It was meaty and spicy, just like this one."
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 pound andouille sausages,* cut into 1/3-inch pieces
1 12-ounce package breakfast-style bulk sausage
3 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped red bell peppers
1 cup chopped green onions
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
12 ounces dry corn bread stuffing mix

1 1/2 cups (about) canned low-salt chicken broth

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all sausages and cook until brown and cooked through, breaking up bulk sausage with back of fork, about 5 minutes. Add onions, celery and red bell peppers. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Stir in green onions, thyme, hot pepper sauce and sage. Transfer sausage mixture to large bowl. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Stir stuffing mix into sausage mixture. Season with salt and pepper.

To bake stuffing in turkey: Loosely fill main turkey cavity with stuffing. Add enough broth to remaining stuffing to moisten lightly (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on amount of remaining stuffing). Generously butter glass or ceramic baking dish. Spoon remaining stuffing into dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down. Bake stuffing in dish alongside turkey until heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover stuffing. Bake until top is just crisp and golden, about 15 minutes.

To bake all of stuffing in baking dish: Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 15x10x2-inch, 13x9x2-inch or 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish, using size called for in recipe. Add enough broth to stuffing to moisten (about 3/4 cup to 1 1/2 cups.) Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down; bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes longer.

*Smoked pork-and-beef sausages that are sold at specialty foods stores. Smoked bratwurst, kielbasa or smoked Hungarian sausages can be substituted.

Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Bon Appétit
November 1999
Bruce Aidells

SAUSAGE, APPLE AND RYE-BREAD STUFFING

12 light rye bread slices (about 1 pound)
1 pound smoked kielbasa (not low-fat)
2 onions
2 celery ribs
1 large garlic clove
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
2 Granny Smith apples
1 cup packed fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
2 cups chicken broth

Preheat oven to 375°F and butter a 3- to 4-quart shallow baking dish. Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes. In 2 shallow baking pans arrange bread in one layer and toast in upper and lower thirds of oven until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.

Quarter kielbasa lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Chop onions and celery and mince garlic. In a large heavy skillet brown kielbasa over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, and transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. To skillet add 6 tablespoons butter (do not discard any fat in skillet) and cook onions, celery, and garlic over moderately low heat, stirring, until celery is crisp-tender.

Finely chop apples. Stir apples into vegetable mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until apple is softened. Mince parsley. In a large bowl toss together bread, kielbasa, vegetable mixture, parsley, broth, and salt and pepper to taste and transfer to baking dish. Stuffing may be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely before being chilled, covered.

Dot stuffing with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and bake, uncovered, in middle of oven until golden, about 30 minutes. (Stuffing may be baked while making gravy for roast goose)

Serves 8.
Gourmet
December 1997

Shallown

First Post
Okay here is simple quick and lazy.

Corn bread stuffing.

Cook some corn bread usual a full order or two depending on how much you need. Cook it normally let it cool mostly.

After it cools crumble it up into a bowl

Add one can of cream of chicken soup per order made.
Add chopped onion and celery to taste wanted. Depends on what and how much you like.
Add about 1-2 tables spoons of Poultry season.
add salt and pepper to taste.

To make it more wet add a can of chicken broth as well.

Then mix it up and bake it. If you have it pour some turkey broth from your turkey on it to add flavor.

this is the easy bachelor style that everyone thinks is hoemmade goodness.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
My wife adores these rolls and is always after me to make them; I usually reserve them for the holidays.

Dill Rolls
Q. What do you make dill rolls from?

Dough:
3 cups warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
Some sugar -- a few tablespoons

Mix this all together and let sit for five minutes until it's good and bubbly.
Add white flour until it's soft and smooshy like thick mud. Beat with a wooden spoon 100 times, to incorporate air. Break an egg into the mix and beat it in.

Sit the dough in a warm spot for about an hour until it's good and puffy. Add:
2 Teaspoons salt
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) melted butter
A whole bunch of dried dill

Mix it all in, and add enough white flour to make a ball of dill dough. Knead for about 10 minutes until it's good and sproingy.

Set it back in your buttered bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise for 1 hour. Punch it down -- fun! Let it rise for another 1/2 hour or so.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I have no idea what that is in Celsius -- but you European tweakers don't celebrate Thanksgiving anyway, so nuts to you.

Pinch off golfball sized chunks of dill dough and shape into rolls -- it's easiest to do by flattening the chunk out and then folding the edges in to the middle, pinching it together, and then turning the (now spherical) lump upside-down.

Put the rolls on a greased pan so they're just touching one another. When you've got them all on the pan, brush the tops with either melted butter or with an egg white into which you've swirled a splash of water.

Bake twenty minutes or so until they're good and golden. Take the yeasty rolls out, slather in butter, and eat. Delicious and nutritious! They're also wonderful as breakfast sandwiches the next day with leftovers.

Daniel

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Best thing we ever did for Thanskgiving:

If roasting a turkey, lay it upside-down in the pan (breast meat down, that is). Optionally, loosely drape the legs in foil partway (2/3 to 3/4, I think) through to avoid them overcooking. This method preserves the juices in the breast meat and ensures a fully cooked bird.

FWIW. HTH. HAND.

KenM

Banned
Banned
My thanksgiving day recipe:
1. Take frozen turkey dinner out of freezer
2. Put it in microwave, 6 minutes on high
3. Enjoy :D

jgsugden

Legend
Brine Your TURKEYS!

Seriously, if you want a turkey that will knock you socks off, brine it. Very easy.

What is brining? It is soaking the bird (for 12 to 36 hours - I suggest 36 hours) in a salt water solution. The salty brine pulls moisture out of the bird and makes way for the flavors in the brine to replace it as it rehydrates the bird. The result: a very flavorful, very moist bird. It also leaves a nice flavor on the skin.

If you brine a turkey, you'll find that it is nearly impossible to dry it out. Brining requires a litttle planning and a container big enough to completely hold a turkey in either an ice chest or a fridge.

I suggest brining and cooking your turkey as follows:

1.) Put 1 Gallon of water in a pot. Put that pot on high heat.

2.) Add the following to the water as it rises in temperature:

1 Cup Kosher Salt (or 1/2 Cup Table Salt stolen from restaurants)
3/4 Cup Soy Sauce (collect those little take out Chinese Packets)
1/2 Cup White Sugar (collect them from restaurants ... no Sweet and Low!)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (hey, you can buy something)
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (it adds a very nice flavor ... worth a trip to the store)
1 to 4 Tablespoons Black Pepper Kernels (not ground ... you want the unground stuff. I highly recommend using all 4 tablespoons.)
4 Cloves of Crushed Garlic (no garlic press or knife involved: Skin them and smash them.
1.5 Teaspoons of Allspice (or a stick of cinnamon, a splash of ground nutmeg and 8 whole cloves)
Optional - the juice of one orange or one lime.

3.) Stir intermitently until the sugars have dissolved and bubbles begin to spot the bottom of the liquid (you should be getting a little steam as well). As soon as you get some small bubbles, turn off the heat and let the pot sit (on the warm burner is fine).

4.) After two hours (the liquid should be roughly room temperature - make sure it is not still hot!) place it in a container large enough to hold the turkey, but small enough that you can fit that container in a fridge or an ice chest (with room to spare for ice). If that container has no lid, put the liquid in a sturdy garbage bag large enough to hold the turkey and the liquid and then place that bag in the container.

5.) Once you have the liquid in the bag or container, put the turkey in there. If you're brining it for more that 24 hours, the turkey can be frozen at this point - the liquid will speed the defrosting. If you're brining it for less than 24 hours, defrost the turkey in the fridge for a few days first. Seal it up (close the bag and tie it off or close the container) and keep it cold in the fridge or an ice chest (don't forget to replace the melting ice) until an hour before you plan to cook the bird.

6.) An hour (or two) before you plan to start cooking, remove the bird, drain it, and let it rise in temperature. Remove the neck and gibblets. Throw those at a young child (preferably one too young to tell on you). You can clean the brine off the skin, but I prefer to leave it on. If you're paranoid, leave the brine on a small patch of skin so that you can see if you like it. I think you will.

7.) Do not stuff the bird. Stuffing is evil. You're asking for that disease that turns you into a salmon. Cook the stuffing on the side. If you want turkey flavor in your stuffing, take a little tukey jus (the dripping liquid) and boil it on the stove top for use in the 'stuffing'. If you like a nice browning, finish the stuffing by placing it right under a very hot broiler for a very short period of time. Keep it out of the bird at all costs!

8.) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

9.) Lightly butter the skin of the turkey (or use canola oil). Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. Then, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. After an hour open the door of the oven and check your bird. If you see any area that look particularly dark, place foil over them. If you're used to having a stuffed bird, removing the stuffing will shorten the cooking time.

10.) When the bird rises to proper temperature (165 degrees in the dark meat thigh area works for me - try a digital probe thermometer), remove it from the oven and place a large foil tent over it. Let it rest for no less than 1/2 hour.

11.) Make your dressing (unstuffed stuffing), mashed potatoes, rolls, gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberry from a can and anything else you like. You have 1/2 hour while the turkey rests.

12.) Cut with an electric knife. I'm serious. Unless you have a very nice carving knife, an electric knife is your best bet for even slices.

13.) Tell everyone else you forgot to cook the turkey, you feel terrible and that you want to be left alone in the kitchen. Then eat the whole thing yourself.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Cranberry Orange Relish

1 bag of cranberries, washed & picked over
1 large navel orange
1.5 cups of suger
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t powdered ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
A splash of rum if you like (no more than a T, or you will inhibit the thickening ability of the cranberries)

Wash the navel orange well. Then cut it into 1/4 inch cubes, skin and all. Put all the ingredients in a nonstick saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring now and then. Don't let it boil! You are shooting for a simmer. After a bit, the cranberries will start popping. When they have all or mostly all popped, about 15-20 minutes, spoon the hot mixture into a mold, or a bowl, or even individual serving dishes. Refrigerate. It will solidify as it cools. I usually make this two or three days before Thanksgiving, but it will keep up to a week if you cover it.

gregweller

First Post
Here's one of my favorites: Sweet Potato Balls

(I'm sorry I don't have exact measurements for these, I've always just sort of done them by sight and taste as it were)...

Sweet potatoes
Graham crackers
Jumbo marshmallows
Spices

Peel and cube sweet potatoes and boil them until they are just barely done, or even a little bit underdone. Mash the potatoes and let cool. You can add some spices depending on your taste to the mashed sweet potatoes: traditional pumpkin pie spice is good, or just separately, add some ginger, nutmeg, allspice or cloves. You can also add a little maple syrup or orange juice--just make sure you don't thin the potatoes too much.

Crush some graham crackers in a bowl, then (here comes the squishy fun part) take a hanful of the mashed sweet potatoes and form around a jumbo marshmallow. The final size should be a little smaller than a baseball. Once you've formed the ball, roll it in the crushed graham crackers until it's well coated. Put the finished balls in a baking pan and bake in the oven until lightly browned...in a 350 degree oven, it will take around a 1/2 hour or so.

I just love the texture of these things...you cut through the lightly crunchy outside, then you have this wonderful ooze of marshmallow...really nice ...

alsih2o

First Post
a cranberry relish that sounds gross but is actually quite good. from susan stanberg of national public radio.

Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed

1 small onion

3/4 cup sour cream

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar ("red is a bit milder than white")

Grind the raw berries and onion together. ("I use an old-fashioned meat grinder," says Stamberg. "I'm sure there's a setting on the food processor that will give you a chunky grind -- not a puree.")

Add everything else and mix.

Put in a plastic container and freeze.

Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. ("It should still have some little icy slivers left.")

The relish will be thick, creamy, and shocking pink. ("OK, Pepto Bismol pink. It has a tangy taste that cuts through and perks up the turkey and gravy. It’s also good on next-day turkey sandwiches, and with roast beef.")

Makes 1-1/2 pints.

Remove ads