Share some Thanksgiving Diner recipies

Pierce

First Post
jgsugden said:
Brine Your TURKEYS!

AMEN!

I too am a fan of Alton's (as mentioned by Shard) - he's the guy who got me brining in the first place. FYI, here's his turkey recipe in toto.

The first Thanksgiving I did this style roast, my mother nearly had a stroke. "You're putting the oven on 500? Are you sure? It's not going to burn it?" All complaints were dismissed in the first bite :D . I cannot stress enough: BRINE THE BIRD! You don't even need to do the whole rigamarole with the allspice and the ginger and the whatnot. As long as you've got salt and sugar in there, you're golden. Everything else is gravy. Well, not really - that's a whole 'nother show.

tarchon

First Post
Flumph Casserole

1 flumph, lightly fluffed
3 mushrooms (any carnivorous)
1 pt fiendish dire heavy cream
1 t salt
1 beholder
1/2 t grated ent root.
1 cp skum juice
1 sm ooze or jelly (pick a festive hue)
1/2 cup balsamic ichor
1 can Durkee ® french onions

Cube flumph, feed to mushrooms. Cube mushrooms. Dice mushroom cubes. Keep only cubes with good results.
Zest beholder, taking care not to get too much of the bitter inner rind.<sup>*</sup> Hold back remaining beholder for punch, if desired.
Add zest to fiendish dire heavy cream (holy or axiomatic dire heavy cream is an acceptable low-evil substitute) and agitate.
Combine slimy ingredients with salt and ent root in separate large cauldron and whip to hard peaks. Fold in mushrooms. Cast <i>Animate Dead</i> on mixture, then Turn repeatedly in order to tenderize any underdigested flumph.
Fold in cream mixture.
Bake in large casserole at 375°F in a preheated oven for 5 minutes, until set.
Sprinkle with french onions and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and ceases quivering.
Serves 3d6.

<sup>*</sup>One should mention, at some point, before proceeding too far in the recipe, lest this part be overlooked in the body of the text, that is is advisable for the chef to prepare the beholder before zesting, namely by a procedure known in the culinary world as "stalking," as even the smallest bit of stalk will the make the zest taste somewhat rangy, as well as rendering it instantly lethal.

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
pierceatwork said:
AMEN!

I too am a fan of Alton's (as mentioned by Shard) - he's the guy who got me brining in the first place. FYI, here's his turkey recipe in toto.

The first Thanksgiving I did this style roast, my mother nearly had a stroke. "You're putting the oven on 500? Are you sure? It's not going to burn it?" All complaints were dismissed in the first bite :D . I cannot stress enough: BRINE THE BIRD! You don't even need to do the whole rigamarole with the allspice and the ginger and the whatnot. As long as you've got salt and sugar in there, you're golden. Everything else is gravy. Well, not really - that's a whole 'nother show.

Alton Brown is frockin brilliant, he sort of like the bill nye the science guy of food tv. You learn the reasons behind why you cook things certain ways so you can then apply it in other ways. And yes Brine that turkey.

Pierce

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
Alton Brown is frockin brilliant, he sort of like the bill nye the science guy of food tv. You learn the reasons behind why you cook things certain ways so you can then apply it in other ways. And yes Brine that turkey.

Yes yes yes! And run - RUN I SAY - to your nearest bookstore and pick up his I'm Just Here for the Food book.

Conaill

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
yeah but its so hard to find fresh flumph this time of year.
Trader Joe's has some really nice flash-frozen flumph that they imported from Argentina just for Thanksgiving.

For those looking for a kosher alternative to the above recipe, you can replace the ooze or jelly with okra and vegetable gelatin. The casserole won't be quite as lively, so make sure to bake for an extra 5 minutes after all quivering has stopped.

Well, I don't know how Thanksgiving-ny this is but my family requires that I make this for all the major family gatherings.

Dirt

1/2 cup margarine
1 cup 10x confectioners sugar
8oz cream cheese
2 of the lg pkg vanilla pudding
3 to 3 1/2 cup milk
12oz cool whip (I sometimes use 16oz)
1 box crushed oreo crumbs (usually found in a box in the baking aisle)

Cream together magarine, sugar, and cream cheese. Set aside. Then, mix together the cool whip, pudding mix, and milk. Add in the other mixture of margarine, sugar, and cream cheese. mix well.

Now in a large bowl/container, layer the mixture as follows -- thin layer oreo crumbs, layer of the mix, thin layer oreo crumbs, layer of the mix, and top with oreo crumbs.

Refrigerate for a bit so the dirt sets a bit.

Oh, and can call it Mud by using chocolate pudding instread of vanilla pudding. Or Sand, if you use crushed vanilla wafers instead of the oreos.

Enjoy!

KnowTheToe

First Post
jgsugden - I hope that Brine is good stuff cause I am trying it. It is actually cooling right now and it smells great.

Here is my addition to the thread

Corn Pudding (it is awesome and easy)

2 cans of corn
6 Tbsp of butter (accept no imitations, it's Thanksgiving)
2 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Flour
1/2 Cup Lite Cream
4 Eggs well beaton
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Topping

2 Tbsp butter
2 tbsp Brown sugar (I like a little more)
1/2 tsp of cinnamon (heaping tsp)

Heat butter and sugar. Stir in flour. Take off heat. Gradually add cream. Add eggs & baking powder then mix well.

Drain corn & put it into a 1.5 qt casserole dish. Pour mixture over corn and bake in oven at 350 deg

Take out of oven, spread butter on top and then sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon on top. Bake an additional 5 minutes.

Remove ads