• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Major Power Outages in NE USA and Canada

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
There are reports on the news of Major Power Outages all over the Northeast United States. Many major cities (or sections of) are currently without power. It is initially being attributed to a power plant in New York State and is having a cascading/rolling effect on other locations. It is effecting airports and other systems of transportation such as subways. Many systems are running on backup diesel generators.

Outages are being reported in -

Detroit, MI
Lansing, MI
Manhattan & Long Island, NY, NY
Syracuse, NY,
Albany, NY,
Baffalo, NY
Utica, NY
Plattsburgh, NY
Rochester, NY
Hartford, CT
Toronto, ONT
Ottawa,
Boston, MS
Cleveland, OH
Toledo, OH
Akron, OH

(Parts of NJ and CT)

No reports at this time of any relation to terroist activity. Some conjecture is that it was simply a fire in a major New York State power plant.

Last edited:

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
They're in Tornto, Boston, Ottowa, Cleveland, and Philadelphia too. Our power here in SW Michigan went out, but came back on right away.

I wonder what's going on.

Mulkhoran

First Post
CNN live is now reporting that it appears the Niagra power grid overloaded, knocking out the areas connected to it. It *seems* to be coming back up.

Everyone remain perfectly calm, my simian soldiers will be at your door in minutes. WUCHT HAI!:D

Zogg

First Post
Well I've seen the news reports as well. I'm trying to call my best friend in Manhattan on his cell and am getting a busy signal (which never happens). Wonder what's up.

BobROE

Explorer
Other than not being able to find my monster manual, which is somewhere in the dark basement (and I need to work on an adventure), it's not really a major problem.

Oh and the lack of AC is a pain cause it's hot out at the moment.

From the NYTimes

Power Outages Reported Along East Coast
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Power outages were reported today throughout the Northeast. Blackouts were reported north to Toronto, south to Maryland and west to Cleveland, Detroit and Toledo.

Radio reports said that subways and the Long Island Rail Road were among the modes of transportation not operating in New York. With lights off inside city buildings, people are streaming out onto the streets of Manhattan.

In Manhattan, Penn Station and subways are reportedly being evacuated. Radio reports thousands and thousands of people are on the streets wandering around, but no panic or disorder is being reported and traffic is said to be moving through Midtown Manhattan.

Niagra Mohawk power grid was overloaded, an official said, according to a radio report.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Some Phones (but not all), and even Celll Phones, are down due to this outage...

Last edited:

Mulkhoran

First Post
Zogg said:
Well I've seen the news reports as well. I'm trying to call my best friend in Manhattan on his cell and am getting a busy signal (which never happens). Wonder what's up.

A lot of reports said the cell phone network seemed dead. Most likely, when the lights went out, *everyone* tried to call somebody on their cells, and the network is overloaded.

It's similar to why they were telling people not to try and call places just before Y2K. It overloads the system, which isn't designed for a mass calling event.

Should be back up shortly. However, see previous note about simian soldiers. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads