• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Major Power Outages in NE USA and Canada

Maraxle

First Post
Ugh. I'm supposed to go to NYC tomorrow for a wedding. As if being forced to attend a wedding wasn't bad enough, now I get to go to a wedding with no air conditioning. Plus I have to walk there.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Wippit Guud said:
From CCN.com:

A state official told CNN the massive power outages were the result of electrical overload -- not terrorism -- at the Niagara Mohawk power grid, which supplies power to New York and stretches into Canada.

Yea...... they would say that wouldn't they.....
Trains aren't running either.
;)

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Wippit Guud said:

That section of NY probably gets it's power from Quebec's hydro dams...

Heh. Buffalo is about half an hour from Niagara Falls, I doubt any of Buffalo gets it's power from Quebec. I would suspect Quebec still uses NiMo's power grid, which is what collapsed.

An update though, my gf and I are lucky enough to have power, though we both have NiMo providing power. A big portion of Syracuse, as I have learned, does not. I don't know about all of Buffalo, but I had a chat with my gf about fifteen minutes after we both observed a blip in our power - when the rest of the northeast lost power.

LightPhoenix

First Post
One last update - there are "pockets of power" throughout upstate NY at least. I'm fortunate to be in one, as is my gf. The PGA tour also never made mention of it, as a random fact. :)

NYC has no pockets, since the power station that sends power that way has to shut off if something happens, hence the lack of power.

Trainz

Explorer
Quebec's power grid is not synchronized with the affected areas. Quebec has it's own power grid, and thus, unnafected. Else, I wouldn't be typing this (I'm in Montreal ;) )

That a single lightning bolt cause so much damage is weird. Talk about a high level wizard...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads