• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Major Power Outages in NE USA and Canada

Henry

Autoexreginated
Some areas of New Jersey, while not mentioned, were DEFINITELY affected.

Our company's central office went down at about 4:11 pm.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Lost power at 4:10 PM, got it back around 9:30 PM. My sister works right downtown and was part of the mass exodus out of the city. Much of Cleveland still dark, state of emergency, some areas short on water due to pumping stations not working. Many areas now getting power back. The mood in my area (far western edge of Cleveland metro area) is relaxed.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I think most of the USA always had a "Don't sweat the small stuff" attittude, but in the last couple of years we've expanded our list of "small stuff"... :)

DiFier

First Post
BobROE said:

Labtop and the phonelines still work.

I figured, I wish I had a laptop. hope your battery lasts. :) My UPS wouldn't last much more than 5 mins. I should get a generator. for when this happens to us.

Leaving any sarcastic comments out (I'm from California...), didn't something similar happen like 30 years ago, where a cascade of tripped breakers took out power for the eastern USA?

Note to mods: I've rewritten this a half dozen times, forcing myself to remove all the invective against the FERC and the Dubya administration...

Oaken25

First Post
This bited :)

I just got my power back here in Rochester, (3:30AM). I was one of the last around my county to get it. The power grid here in NY, etc were not supposed to do this any more after the 1 that happened in the 70's or at least that is what every one is claiming.

It is said that a bolt of lightning hit one power plant in Quebec and Canada's power tried to draw on NY's and it over loaded our plants and they all shut down because they couldn't handle the draw.

At least that is the current theory.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads