• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OT: Share useless Trivia!

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
s/LaSH said:
Actually, the African Masai are rumoured to be extraordinarily tall, although I have no exact figures. Taller even than the Dutch, though. (And I knew a dutch kid who was taller than I am now when he was in secondary school.)

Nope, that's a myth. It stems from short European explorers (they were Dutch then, but now that region is Belgian) telling tales of giants in Africa (which were only 4 inches taller), and the tales just getting wilder and wilder.

In fact, didn't my source give you this information - tssk, didn't even read my source ;)

Rav

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
The Sigil said:
From the upcoming Enchiridion of Treasures and Objects d'Art...

A pound of pure diamond cut into a cube would measure exactly 2 inches by 2 inches by 2 inches (well, 1.99 inches, but close enough).

And 10cm by 10cm by 10cm of water would make exactly 1 litre, which is also approx 1kg (also something like 0.99 or 0.98).

That means that 1000 litres of water would be exactly 1 cubic metre, and would weigh about a metric ton!

It isn't as much fun with a system that is actually meant to make sense instead of just some random numbers now is it? :rolleyes:

Rav

der_kluge

Adventurer
A crapload of trivia.

This is all the trivia from my trivia page from my (now defunct) home page. I had the "eat 8 spiders at night" one, but removed it since someone said it wasn't true. I've removed a few of these off and on when I learn that they weren't true. For example, I had one once that said that Marilyn Monroe had 6 toes, but removed it later when I found out it wasn't true. Some of the these might not be true, but again, they are just found on the internet, so.. who knows. The Kool-Aid ones actually come from Kool-Aid's site, so those are valid.

If you know of any of these are false, let me know.

Enjoy.

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable".
Shakespeare invented the words "assassination" and "bump."
Skepticisms is the longest word that alternates hands.
Stewardesses is the longest word that is typed entirely by the left hand.
TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.
"I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
"Rhythms" is the longest English word without vowels.
The continents names all end with the same letter with which they start.
The correct response to the Irish greeting, "Top of the morning to you," is "And the rest of the day to yourself."
"Kemo Sabe" means "soggy shrub" in Navajo.
The phrase, "It’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye" is from Ancient Rome. The only rule during wrestling matches was, "No eye gouging." Everything else was allowed, but the only way to be disqualified is to poke someone’s eye out.

Over 2500 left handed people a year are killed from using products made for right handed people.
Handgun Control said that in 1996, 9,390 people were killed in the United States with handguns, compared to 30 in Britain, 106 in Canada and 213 in Germany.
About 10% of the world’s population is left-handed.
One in every 4 Americans has appeared on television.
About a third of all Americans flush the toilet while they're still sitting on it.
Every day, an estimated 6,000 American teenagers lose their virginity.
An estimated one in five Americans - some 38 million - don't like sex.
An average person laughs about 15 times a day.
47% of America's homeless are men.
47% of Palestinians are under the age of 15.
About 96% of all American children can recognize Ronald McDonald.

One-third of American children are overweight by the time they reach fifth grade.
About 70% of Americans who go to college do it just to make more money.
1,200 college students streaked at the same time in Boulder, CO in 1974.
27% of U.S. male college students believe life is "a meaningless existential hell."

A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
A 'Mickey' is the unit of measurement which defines the smallest distance a computer mouse can move.
The metal instrument used in shoe stores to measure feet is called the Brannock device.

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.
The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
In space, astronauts cannot cry, because there is no gravity, so the tears can't flow.
It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. Try it.

For two years, during the 1970s, Mattel marketed a doll called "Growing Up Skipper." Her breasts grew when her arm was turned.
In 1984, a New Jersey man opened a summer camp for Cabbage Patch dolls.
Did you know you share your birthday with at least 9 million other people in the world.
Dr. Seuss wrote Green Eggs and Ham after being dared by his editor to produce a book using fewer than fifty different words.
Most American car horns honk in the key of F.

The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.
Licking the glue on a stamp will give you 1/10th calories.

Kotex was first manufactured as bandages, during WWI.
Most lipstick contains fish scales.
Some toothpastes contain antifreeze.
In 1987, a 1,400-year-old lump of still-edible cheese was unearthed in Ireland.
Jell-O, when hooked to an EEG machine, produces the same pattern as an adult man's brainwave.
Based on per capita sales, KOOL-AID is most popular in Memphis, Tennessee. The other top five cities are (in order) Little Rock, St. Louis, Oklahoma City, and Jacksonville, Florida.
Kool-Aid is the official drink of Nebraska.
Each American eats an average of 51 pounds of chocolate per year.
The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it. (If everyone eats 51 pounds, how many insect legs is that?
Chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), a natural substance that is reputed to stimulate the same reaction in the body as falling in love.

Bird droppings are the chief export of Nauru, an island nation in the western Pacific.
In 1980, there was only one country in the world with no telephones - Bhutan.
The three best-known western names in China: Jesus Christ, Richard Nixon, and Elvis Presley.
If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.
Vatican City is the smallest country in the world, with a population of 1000 and a size 108.7 acres.
In 1980, a Las Vegas hospital suspended workers for betting on when patients would die.
Hypnotism is banned by public schools in San Diego.
In Los Angeles, there are fewer people than there are automobiles.

Lee Harvey Oswald's cadaver tag sold at an auction for $6,600 in 1992.
No president of the United States was an only child.
Elvis had a twin brother named Garon, who died at birth, which is why Elvis' middle name was spelled Aron; in honor of his brother.
Someone paid $14,000 for the bra Marilyn Monroe wore in Some Like It Hot.
Every time Beethoven sat down to write music, he poured ice water over his head.
Thomas Edison was afraid of the dark.
Captain Kangaroo won five Emmy awards.
Walter Cavanaugh, "Mr. Plastic Fantastic," has 1,196 different valid credit cards.

One of the holiest Christian holidays is named after a pagan goddess. The name "Easter" derives from the Anglo-Saxon goddess Eostre, who governed the vernal equinox.
Catholic Popes who died during sex: Leo VII (936-9) died of a heart attack, John VII (955-64) was bludgeoned to death by the husband of the woman he was with at the time, John XIII (965-72) was also murdered by a jealous husband, Pope Paul II (1467-71) allegedly died while being sodomized by a page boy.

The Bible is the most purchased book, but did you know it was also the most shop-lifted?

Number of people who starved to death in 1997: 20,000,000.
More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.
Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
Women shoplift more often than men; the statistics are 4 to 1.

Donald Duck's middle name is Fauntleroy.
When Bugs Bunny first appeared in 1935, he was called Happy Rabbit.
Ken's (of Barbie and Ken fame) last name is Connor
The New York phone book had 22 Hitlers listed before World War II ... and none after.
In 1980, the Yellow Pages accidentally listed a Texas funeral home under frozen foods.
Time magazine’s "Man of the Year" for 1938 was Adolf Hitler.
In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam."

There are more sheep in New Zealand than people.
A cockroach can live nine days without its head before it starves to death.
A polar bear's skin is black. Its fur is not white, but actually clear.
When snakes are born with two heads, they fight each other for food.
Most cows give more milk when they listen to music.
The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million.
In 1984, a Canadian farmer began renting ad space on his cows.
Spotted skunks do handstands before they spray.
A snail can sleep for 3 years.
Termites eat wood twice as fast when listening to heavy metal music.
Penguins can jump as high as 6 feet in the air.
A monkey was once tried and convicted for smoking a cigarette in South Bend, Indiana.
It's against the law to catch fish with your bare hands in Kansas.
Millie the White House dog earned more than 4 times as much as Pres. Bush in 1991.
The oldest known goldfish lived to 41 years of age. It's name was Fred.
If you keep a Goldfish in the dark room, it will eventually turn white.
More than 99 percent of species that have ever lived on Earth have gone extinct.

According to the Washington Times (7/2/97) when a Virginia High School student exposed mice to hard rock music 10 hours a day for three weeks, their ability to navigate a maze they already knew decreased significantly. A control group, exposed to classical music, actually improved their maze time. The experiment was cut short because the hard rock mice ate each other.

Palcadon

First Post
A chicken once had its head cut off and survived for over eighteen months, headless.

The IRS employees tax manual has instructions for collecting taxes after a nuclear war.

After the “Popeye” comic strip started in 1931, spinach consumption went up by thirty-three percent in the United States.

The spray WD-40 got its name because there were forty attempts needed before the creation of the “water displacing” substance.

The first ever “World Summit on Toilets” was held in Singapore in November 2001.

Until the 1960's men with long hair were not allowed to enter Disneyland.

In only eight minutes, the Space Shuttle can accelerate to a speed of 27,000 kilometres per hour.

Coconuts kill more people in the world than sharks do. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by coconuts.

In 1983, a Japanese artist, Tadahiko Ogawa, made a copy of the Mona Lisa completely out of ordinary toast.

Gloucestershire airport in England used to blast Tina Turner songs on the runways to scare birds away.

There is a town in Texas called Ding Dong. In 1990, the population was only twenty-two people.

A B-25 bomber airplane crashed into the 79th floor of the Empire State Building on July 28, 1945.

India has a Bill of Rights for cows.

rackabello

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
Legendary country music singer Lefty Frizzell spent a few days in the Roswell, New Mexico jail in September 1947, 2 months after the famous UFO incident.

Some friends of mine wrote a song about this. Drop by here and scroll down to find "Lefty in Roswell" if you care to take a listen.

Racking my empty head for trivia to add to the thread, I find only this:

Multiple Personality Disorder is diagnosed almost exclusively in the United States and Canada.

The Hivemind, I'd imagine, would disagree...

AuroraGyps

First Post
A black furred squirrel is actually a Gray Squirrel, and not a seperate species. The colder a region is, the darker the fur is on the squirrels in that area.
And I thought I'd never learn anything from that weird Jack Hanna.;)

Fast Learner

First Post
Elephants can't jump. They're the only animal on earth incapable of doing so.
Hmm. Snails, slugs, and jellyfish can all jump? Sponges? Perhaps they mean mammals, but then you still have seals and walruses. This one just doesn't seem true in any context.

The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.
Licking the glue on a stamp will give you 1/10th calories.
Those two aren't terribly surprising, but you might be surprised to know that almost no one who has ever worked in an envelope-printing plant will lick the glue on stamps or envelopes: the vats attract all kinds of bugs and even with good extermination the glue ends up with all kinds of nasty little bugs in it including tons of dead flies. This is firsthand knowledge. :)

Here's my favorite useless but 100% accurate piece of trivia: the vast majority of people on the planet have an above-average number of arms. For that matter they have an above-average number of legs, eyes, ears, lungs, kidneys, and a whole variety of other body parts. Just think about it for a moment. Heck, the odds are extremely good that you have an above-average number of fingers.

s/LaSH

First Post
The number '2' is the only digit on a digital display that doesn't display the lower right, um, thingy. Panel.

2 is the only even prime number, while we're at it.

A katana (samurai sword) has 32,768 layers of steel in the blade.

The inventor of the lie detector (polygraph) also invented Wonder Woman. (Her Lassoo of Truth?)

Think Ding-Dong is a bad place name? Try Toad Suck, in Nevada or somewhere.

Let's not forget that the capital of Burkino Faso is Ouagadougu.
(I even saw it mentioned on the French news - a friend).

Agback

Explorer
Re: A crapload of trivia.

die_kluge said:
If you know of any of these are false, let me know.

An estimated one in five Americans - some 38 million - don't like sex.

If 38 million Americans don't like sex, that would be more like one in eight than one in five. If one in five American's don't like sex that would be more like 60 million than 38 million.

And I very much doubt that Jell-O produces any trace whatsoever on an EEG.

Regards,

Agback

Remove ads