• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Sleep Apnea, Limes, Folic Acid and Weight Loss

Jhyrryl

First Post
Djeta Thernadier said:
I've found that just keeping track of my caloric intake and excercising work for me. By cutting out the snacks like cookies and brownies and having carrots instead, I cut out alot.
For most people, this is the most effective, and safest route to go. My wife lost over 60 pounds by putting together a diet based on recommendations from eDiets.com, and excercise. It takes some time, and you really have to make both a regular part of your life, or you just gain the weight back.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I'm looking to lose weight myself, and physical activity is a big part of it. If you exercise, even if it's a little, it helps a whole lot.

Patient care is part of medecine. If your doctor is neglecting that part (hard to please comment), I'd go see anyother doctor.

Goobermunch

Explorer
Number one thing you should do is make your doctor refer you to a nutritionist. Developing a personlized diet with the assistance of a trained professional will be extremely helpful. Where the doctor was talking about limes, a nutritionist will tell you about meals.

My advice for getting exercise is to get a treadmill. You live in Texas, and I know from experience that it's hard to convince yourself to walk when it's HOT. My wife and I bought a nice treadmill recently. We rent TV series on DVD from Blockbuster, things like "Band of Brothers," "OZ," "Six Feet Under," and "Angel." Each afternoon, I watch an episode of a show while walking on the treadmill. I'm getting back into my routine now (I stopped doing everything while I studied for the bar), but I'm able to keep up a 3 mph pace for an hour. It's good cardio exercise and I'm getting to see great shows I missed while they were on cable. We don't have A/C, but the treadmill is just under a ceiling fan and it's not too bad.

If you can commit yourself to exercising everyday for a month with no breaks, you'll find it's much easier to maintain the habit, or so I'm told. It takes about 27 days to build a new habit.

I don't know if my exercise plan will work for you.

But trust me on the nutritionist thing.

--G

JoeGKushner

First Post
I went from 350+ to 270. I'm about 300 now.

Here's how I did it.

Lifestyle change. No diet, no this, no that. Examine the root cause of the weight.

Losing weight meant changing diet styles. Because I work so early (up at 5:50 to be at work at 6:42), I often didn't eat breakfast. Bad. The body then goes into conservation mode. Had to start eating breakfast. For me, it involved Slim Fast and other 'easy' foods. When I say easy, I mean stuff like whole grain cereal, yogurt and chopped fruits.

Next, lunch, I often didn't eat lunch either, just junk food. Soup, slim fast or other 'easy' food.

Next, smaller dinners. Red meat and fried foods had to be minimzed. Weight loss can be expensive as well since stuff like Olive Oil, Soy Milk (and other Soy products), Whole Wheat and other good stuff, is more pricey than normal stuff.

Lastly, exercise. At least a half hour three times a week. I was able to quickly lose weight by doing two hours, five days a week at Bailys. I did an hour of weights and an hour of cardio. Start slow though as there's nothing worse then getting a strain, sore or other pain as it becomes associated in your physical body that exercise = pain.

Good luck.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Elf Witch said:

There was a study done where they took healthy college age students and deprived them off sleep after one week most of them were showing the signs of pre diabetes.

Elf Witch, could you cite a reference on that? I'm pretty up to date on sleep deprivation, but I've never heard that before, and would absolutely like to learn more.

Thanks!

Zub

First Post
I have Sleep Apnea too

I may have had it worse then you even. I don't recall exactly, but I had about 240 apnea events per hour. An apnea event being I went at least 20 seconds without taking a breath. At my worst, I felt like a zombie. On my 30 minute commute, i was in micro-sleep about 20 minutes. Several times the rumble strips on the side of the road woke me up. The only way to make sure I stayed awake was to elevate my blood sugar by eating crappy jumk food - so my weight skyrocketed

At work once, I had to verify the size of a record in a file, so I tried to count the characters in it, to make sure it matched the spec. I could not count past 20 without falling asleep again. Finally, while visiting my Mom, she saw me fall asleep and the couch and watched me stop breathing, then wake up for just seconds, long enough to take my next breath. Lucky for me, she recognized the symptons of Sleep Apnea.
About a month later, I had my second sleep test, this one with the Bi-pap machine. I can still remember the next morning - I lierally felt like I was walking on air. My movements felt so light.

My weight problem leveled off at that point, but last year it started going up again. Last fall, my weight ballooned to 330 pounds. I decided it was time to do something about it. I didn't really follow any particular diet, but I did do the following:

1) started using my treadmill. We had purchased one several years earlier, but it was never used. What I did was I moved my Tivo upstairs, in front of the treadmill. I made sure that all my faovorite shows were recorded on that Tivo only. The only way to watch Buffy or Angel, or whatever was to start walking. After 8 months, I can now keep a 3 mph pace for an hour and a half, and I can run almost 3/8 mile at 5 mph. This is a *big* improvement for me.
2) I stopped eating second helpings. I had to teach myself all over again how to feel satiated. I knew that even if I felt hungry at the time, that I would feel better later. It took about 2 weeks for that to happen.
3) Cut back on carbohydrates. I don't follow Atkins, but I recognize that a lot of what his diet says makes sense. I cut out all pasta dinners, saly snacks, potatoes, etc. D&D night was my one weekness, though, I always ate like crap on those nights.
4) Cut out sweetened and artificially sweetened drinks. 90% of what I drank was water. At D&D, because of me, my group has gone from drinking tons of sugar soft drinks to nearly all water.
5) Cut out most red meat from my diet. Ate a lot more chicken breast and fish. Still no more then one serving per meal though.
6) Started weight Training. I started by doing pushups - standing against a wall, squats, dips, and situps. nothing fancy, but I started out easy, and worked my way up.

According to my measurements, I've lost 60 pounds and gained 10 pounds of muscle. My goal is to get down to 15% body fat. I figure it will take a couple of years, but so far so good. For further reading, check out Covert Bailey's Fit or Fat books. They are pretty good.

Good luck to you, and also want to re-iterate someone else's point. Clean that machine regularly, or your going to find you get sick more frequently.
Zub

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's lots of diets out there. They all have one thing in common - paying attention to what you eat. They may each have a different prescription as to exactlywhat you should chow on, but they all agree that you must be paying attention.

That suggests something that a number have doctors have since told me - the real, functional part of dieting is not exactly what you eat, but that you pay attention to what you eat.

The safest way for most folks to lose weight is to simply reduce caloric intake and moderately increase activity levels. The main point of the diet is not specifically what you're eating, but that you have a plan and stick to it.

Cut snacks, decrease portion size and number of portions. Go to the gym or just go for long walks. Not much more is usually needed.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I've never heard about a Lime Diet, but that sounds like a fad diet. Most fad diets are fairly bunk (usually depriving one of various food groups, only eating one food, eating at certain times of day, and never mentioning exercise or overall wellness). Note: I'm not bashing the Atkins diet; it may be effective for a while, but eventually you have to get your carbs. The waste products from forcing your body to burn fat instead of both fat and carbs are not entirely healthy for the long run.

Anyway, back to weight loss. I'm studying athletic training in school (which is sports medicine), and weight loss and control is one of the many things I have to learn. Plus I just had a class on this very topic!

Two classic things are excellent for weight loss; exercise and a healthy diet. Reducing your calorie intake is good, and it's a start. But don't starve yourself. As has been mentioned, then your body starts to think it needs to conserve energy and your metabolism slows down. In order to burn calories, you would like a faster metabolism. So don't skip any meals.

To cut down on your calorie intake, start simply. Skip the second helping, or just eat slightly smaller portions. If you can't kick the junk food habit entirely, then try to compromise. Instead of having a small bag of chips, have half the chips and a few carrot sticks. The next day have the rest of the chips and some more carrot sticks. Take more veggies as your meal and take the smaller steak. That kind of thing.

Try to increase your activity level (that increases metabolism). The 20-30 minutes, three times a week is a good place to start. Make sure you warm up first (say, five minutes on an exercise bike or light jogging, enough to break a sweat), then stretch out really well. Toe touches, hurdler's stretch, Achillies stretch, etc. Do 3-4 repetitions of each stretch and hold them for 15-20 seconds each. Then do your 20-30 minutes of exercise.

Make sure you're doing an exercise that's fun for you. If jogging or biking just drives you bonkers with boredom, see if your local health club has some alternatives (aerobics, water exercise, or anything else). Be sure your exercise does push you somewhat. You can't get any stronger/faster etc. unless you're doing more than you normally do. Sweat a little. :) On the flip side, don't gray-out, go until you collapse, or otherwise try to overdo it. That's counterproductive to having a good exercise session.

After your exercise, cool down for 5-10 minutes the same way you warmed up, and stretch out again too. It'll help with post-exercise soreness.

The days you don't do more intense exercise, try to remain more active. Take a nice brisk walk around a block or two. Do some yardwork or cleaning. Park farther away from the store entrance. The whole point is to remain more active overall. Try to get someone to exercise with you, and you'll both remain on task more easily.

In regards to the sleep apnea, my father has that rather badly. He sleeps with a sleep machine that goes into his nose and mouth to basically prevent the snoring. He was, pre-machine, essentially waking up dozens of times a night and never getting really deep sleep. Hence poor metabolism, irritibility, etc.

Anyway, I hope that does help. Good luck!

Uzumaki

First Post
Ah, slapnea.

Anyway, just exercise. You will lose weight even if you continue to eat mostly crap. Cardio makes your heart beat faster, and developing muscle consumes a lot if energy (i.e. calories). Start your workouts off with cardio, then get on the machines, then finish up with cardio. It really stops being a difficult habit to get into. Good luck.

Oh yeah, instead of cutting foods out of your new diet, just try eating less of it. My brother lost 100 pounds in a year this way, and by regularly going to the gym.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Hold on, misconception.

He's NOT recommending a diet of limes.

My brother had to increase his folic acid intake because of a sleeping disorder. I believe it helps you take up more oxygen in the blood. He was fine taking folic acid pills, which you can get in a pharmacy. No limes necessary.

Diet whatever way works for you. I'm sure your doctor would say the same thing, or quite honestly he's not a very good doctor.

Remove ads