[OT] Sleep Apnea, Limes, Folic Acid and Weight Loss

Sanackranib

First Post
I too was diagnosed with sleep apnea. well the tests were largly inconclusive because all those wires they hook you up to were so uncomfortable that they didn't get to start recording any usefull data until about 3am and I was to be outta there by 6am. the tech kept coming in and telling me to "quit moving around and go to sleep" I just growled at him. sleep for me has always been a battle that I eventully sucomb to. It generally takes me 30-45 minutes to even get to sleep once I lay down.

the doctor told me I had 2 options a cast plastic mouth piece or a gas mask type face mask which I would never get to sleep in. I tried the mouth piece for a few weeks, but its just so uncomfortable it takes me even longer to get to sleep! so I feel your pain.

broghammerj

Explorer
Sleep apnea

I'm an American physician and can vouch for what johncolossus has said. His summary is a pretty good one. I don't know of any link to folate and sleep apnea per say, but folate is one of those vitamins/minerals that does the body good. As said above it reduces homocysteine levels which are related to heart disease and is used for red blood cell (RBC) production. Your body should be getting enough for RBC production if you eat green leafy vegetables without the need for supplements. It also prevents neurotube defects (things like spina bifida) if taken during the early parts of pregnancy. American doctors recommend a folate supplement for nearly all women of child bearing age since spina bifida is usually preventable.

robaustin

First Post
Sleep Apnea here too, don't give up....

Let me just say that I too do need to lose weight, but I more than likely had apnea before I gained weight , so it's likely that losing weight will not help. That being said - I accept my fate on the CPAP machine for the time being. So let me say this about the CPAP:

Many people find they cannot deal with it. Having something on your face, blowing air through your nose to keep your airway open is initially uncomfortable - this is a fact. However, (and this is to the gentleman above who said he couldn't get used to it as well) - there are MANY types of masks available now, and the newest models are extremely comfortable AND UNINTRUSIVE.

The traditional type of masks are plastic and cover the entire nose. Many people are completely successful with these. However, for those who are not there are alternates. The first is called the Breeze - and it is basically like a walkman headphone - except it goes from the front of your nose to the back of your head - never touching any part of your face but under your nostrils. This allows you greater freedom of movement because now you can lay with the side of your face on the pillow. The other one - which I was succcessful with - is the Nasal Aire. This looks similar to those tubes you see people who are getting oxygen - tubes go just up into the nostrils, run across your face and behind your ears. I found this one the most comfy because the rubber is extremely soft and I can really "bury" my face in the pillow like I used to before using the CPAP.

It took me almost 6 months of trying different masks and two sleep doctors until I finally got a mask I could use without issue. It is really trial and error and can be very frustrating, but once you get one that works and can sleep the whole night with it on, you'll be amazed at the results.

Anyway - I wanted to let you know that - as well as Sanackranib - I feel your pain - but know that there ARE new masks out there that are extremely comfortable and unintrusive.

To see a selection of masks - check out www.cpapman.com

--*Rob

LightPhoenix

First Post
Gnome Berzerker said:
Does Folic Acid have any negative side effects, or things it shouldn't be used in combination with?

Again, paraphrasing Merck:

Not really, but taking folic acid at about 100 times the recommended dosage can increase the requency of seizures in epileptics and can worsen damage in people with vitamin B12 deficiency.

Sanackranib

First Post
Re: Sleep Apnea here too, don't give up....

robaustin said:
- there are MANY types of masks available now, and the newest models are extremely comfortable AND UNINTRUSIVE.

The traditional type of masks are plastic and cover the entire nose. Many people are completely successful with these. However, for those who are not there are alternates.

When I went over the test results with my doctor he told me that based on the fact that my difficulty is actually getting to sleep [once I get to sleep I am a sound sleeper] that the full mask would probably not be the best option for me. I agreed since having stuff over my nose or mouth really bothers me. the device I got looks somthing like a boxers mouth piece and changes the angle of the breathing passage keeping it more open so airflow is increased. but for me I never really got used to it. guess I'll just have to drop the weight since for most guys thats the main contributing factor.

robaustin

First Post
Re: Re: Sleep Apnea here too, don't give up....

Sanackranib said:

When I went over the test results with my doctor he told me that based on the fact that my difficulty is actually getting to sleep [once I get to sleep I am a sound sleeper] that the full mask would probably not be the best option for me. I agreed since having stuff over my nose or mouth really bothers me.

That's why I was suggesting the Nasal Aire - There's not a lot over the nose at all. IT's not a FULL MASK at all, it's very small. See: http://www.cpapman.com/nasalair.html

the device I got looks somthing like a boxers mouth piece and changes the angle of the breathing passage keeping it more open so airflow is increased. but for me I never really got used to it. guess I'll just have to drop the weight since for most guys thats the main contributing factor. [/B]

Yep, those are also somewhat effective, but definitely not the best thing. Also - it's been shown in many studies, that losing weight only cuts down on apnea in 20% of cases and in those another 10% only cut down 50% of the apnea. THose numbers for losing weight are pretty low. It is NOT the main contributing factor, it has more to do with the muscles in the back of the throat then anything else. Some people have muscles that stay tight and keep the airway open, some do not. It's not anything you have control over.

As I said before I went to a second doctor because my first doc was an ENT and didn't know a LOT about Apnea. My second doc is exclusively a doctor specializing in sleep disorders and nothing else. She was excellent and helped me get the right "mask." If you keep at it, you can get used to something like the Nasal Aire. Gotta tell ya I could NEVER tolerate the other masks, but the NAsal Aire did it. You barely feel it after a few nights.

My point is - don't give up on this - even if you lose the weight, you may not see a reduction in apnea. Better to treat it with the treatment that has the highest success rate - the CPAP. Get a second opinion if your doctor isn't suggesting other masks like the NAsal Aire.

--*Rob

Remove ads