• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Wanna be immortal? (for real)

Number47

First Post
Unless somebody has been using these rings for 100 years or more, claims of immortality seem a little overblown. I mean, how can you use something for a couple years and say it grants immortality? Because you haven't died yet? I guess Pepsi gives me immortality. Actually, just at a glance, claims of anything at all for this product seem silly.

This doesn`t impress me, not at all! I shall grant immortality to those who will agree to worship me( I have been a bit low on worshippers recently). Don`t miss such a chance!

Tsyr

Explorer
And once you blow off his "immortality" claim, there is nothing new here... the claims of magnets making you feel better isn't new.

Notice the only thing he guarentees is a fast delivery?

Hikaru

First Post
Tsyr said:
Interesting that your link includes an ID tag to recieve a free set of the rings...

Indeed, I'm curious to see if I can experience some of the superficial effects (i.e. tingling sensations, oversweating...). Do I think it'll make me immortal? Of course. And it'll allow me to fly and pass through walls, too.

Nowadays, the only serious prospects we have regarding immortality are cloning and, as Zarrock pointed out, nanotechnology (http://www.nano.gov is an interesting website; http://www.nanozine.com/NANOMED.HTM#life also, but overly optimistic). Oh, and worshipping Melkor may work, too; it has not been scientifically studied yet. :D

Oh, but, Talien: I don't make any money out of it. All I can get is a free ring, and that's for fun. If I wanted to be slimy about it, I would not have included my regular nickname as an ID. And the link sends you exactly where it pretends to send you, so it is no "deceptive advertizing."

Too bad, even if we do reach biological immortality at some point, chances are I'll be dust long before that. :(

[Hikaru gets back to playing Amber.]

Al

First Post
Incidentally, I remember seeing a programme that estimated that given current situations and technology, even if you did have clinical immortality, on average your life expectancy would only be 300-400 years before you died in an accident, violent death or from diseases.

But then perhaps Alex Chui could invent a cure for cancer, 100% safe cars and a nifty device to prevent bullets from wounding you...

Fade

First Post
Lets see... 7th level spell, 13th caster level, unlimited use... 182,000gp. At (I think) US$500 an ounce, that's $91,000,000 plus delivery. Cheap at the price! (Allow 3-4 centuries for trans-dimensional shipment)

Meepo

First Post
Meepo seems to recall reading recent research that indicated that scientists had discovered that part of the reason that living cells are programmed to die, is that it prevents cancer. In creatures where the built-in self-destruct is turned off, the incidence of cancer increases dramatically. So it seems that living creatures might be at the optimum balance between longevity and lethal cancer risk.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads