• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] WotC loses Pokemon license

thundershot

Adventurer
This... is not good.

I was really hoping WotC would be able to cross the border and get more kids playing d20 with a Pokemon d20 game.

Yes, I'm 28 years old, and yes, I like the Pokemon games (lost interest in the cartoon years ago). I even have a project of converted all of the Pokemon into d20 monsters. I don't have that many of them done, only a dozen or so, but I've got the framework.

Chris

Black Omega

First Post
I'd hesitate to say Pokemon was at the end of it's popularity. Last I saw it was still selling pretty well for WotC. It was past the obsession phase where it was doing monster business, but it was still making WotC money.

I wonder how much of WotC's sales it accounts for as of 2002? I know the last time a discussion of WotC's finances came up, a few months ago, Pokemon was still a much bigger part of WotC's income than DnD.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
WotC still has the Star Wars CCG and the Magic CCG, both of which I think are doing quite well. It is soon to release the Simpsons CCG, so anything could happen there. ;)

Pokemon was still selling, but it really sounds like the owners of the Pokemon license (Nintendo?) wanted too much for it compared to how much money WotC made from it.

There is no doubt that WotC would have preferred to keep Pokemon, but there are business realities that must be faced.

Cheers!

mistergone

First Post
A couple weeks ago I was in one of my local game stores o na Friday night, and there was a huge crowd of kids there, making just a ton of noise, all with one of the guys who works at the store yelling over the cacophony various intructions, commands, and threats. It was a nuthouse. I asked at the register "What's going on?" And one of the guys told me "YugiO tournament night." Recently, both game stores I go to have been all about this yugiO game. So, while WotC might be taking a hit (doubtful it will really hurt them) on Pokemon, rest assured that there's a new obsession for all the anklebiters out there. Personally, the typical kind of person that CCGs attract have driven me away from CCGs, just like what happened with LARPs. I don't blame the kids though, they don't know any better. I guess I'd still play L5R, if anyone around here ever played it anymore.

Also, does it bother anyone else that WotC refers to Magic and some of it's other cards games as "lifestyle" games?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
A over-exposed albatross has been removed from WotC's neck. I suspect they are, if not happy, then at least relieved that they no longer have to deal with it. The Pokemon CCG was much more of a fad game; Magic:TG has much stronger legs, it seems to me.

Angcuru, I'm not sure where you're used to hanging out on the internet, but we try to at least maintain a veneer of civility here. Starting as sentence with "As a REAL gamer" isn't going to make many ENworlders listen to you. Folks here have a lot of gaming interests in & out of d20, and CCGs are part of that.

Krug said:
By the way, WotC will be doing a Simpsons CCG. That should attract more collectors than players.

And being a huge Simpsons fan, I must at least look into this....probably a collector though...my CCG playing is only with the old Decipher Star Wars. ^^

Remove ads