• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Would all the Aussies, please stand up?

maransreth

Explorer
Knew Crimson Scribe was from Brissy as we play on Monday nites together. (BTW When is Chris meant to be back?).

As for Big Weekend, dunno. Went to last years, didn't play as I assumed I would have something on, but ended up going and picking up some old 2e stuff from the traders.

As to this year, my future is very uncertain with moving house, uni, and work, so I think it will just be turn up one day to see what the traders have.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
*sees title of this thread, and can't help but begin to sing*

Won't the real Slim Aussies please stand up? Please stand up? Please stand up?

:D :D :D :D :D Sometimes I just can't help myself. Sorry everybody! :D :D :D :D :D

DDK

Banned
Banned
Re: Re: Arcanacon

Capellan said:
Check out the website. It's http://www.arcanacon.org for those that missed it the first time.
I just registered online for five games. The Rimstriders one sounds quite interesting. I also signed up for two of the Living Greyhawk games. I'm no big fan of the concept of having a character come from the Concatenated Cantons of Perrenland, but hey, I told someone I'd give it a go so...

$6 a session, though, is expensive. That's $36 I won't be able to spend on RPG books :(

Drakmar

Explorer
Hey.. Count Me too..

O.. and I am from Brisbane...

I mainly lurk in General... and post in the Minatures section.. Rolling my Own minatures per se.

:D

Capellan

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Arcanacon

Fourecks said:
$6 a session, though, is expensive. That's $36 I won't be able to spend on RPG books :(

$6 for 2.5 hours? Cheaper than a movie :)

$36 is what, two adventures? One splatbook?

Oh, and more importantly - any more Australians out there?

Another Aussie over here!

[stands up, waves hands in air, gets everyone's attention, sees everybody looking at him and hides under his chair]

People were talking about cricket earlier, and I think that Bill Bryson (alright, he's a septic, but that doesn't matter too much, does it?) has a few interesting things to say about it.

ahem.

"I had stumbled into the surreal and rewarding world of cricket on the radio.

After years of patient study (and with cricket there can be no other kind) I have decided that there is nothing wrong with cricket that the introduction of golf carts wouldn't fix in a hurry. It is not true that the English invented cricket as a way of making all other human endeavours look interesting and lively; that was merely an unintended side effect. I don't wish to denigrate a sport that is enjoyed by milions, some of them awake and facing the right way, but it is an odd game... It is the only game that incorporates meal breaks. It is the only sport where the spectators burn as many calories as the players (more if they are moderately restless).

[cut parody of cricket commentary. very funny]

I may not have got all the terminology exactly right, but I believe I have caught the flavour of it. The upshot was that Australia was giving England a good thumping, but then Australia pretty generally does. In fact Australia pretty generally beats most people at most things... Hardly a sport exists at which the Australians do not excel. Do you know that there are even forty Australians playing baseball at the proffessional level in the United States, including five in the Major Leagues - and Australians don't even play baseball, at least not in any particularly devoted manner. They do all this on the world stage and play their own games as well, notably a very popular form of loosely contained mayhem called Australian Rules. It is wonder in such a vigorous and active society that there is anybody left to form an audience.

No, the mystery of cricket is not that Australians plat it well, but that they play it at all, It has always seemed to me a game much too restrained for the rough-and-tumble Australian temperament. Australians much prefer games in which brawny men in scanty clothing bloody each others noses. I am quite certain that if the rest of the world vanished overnight and the development of cricket was left in Australian hands, within a generation the players would be wearing shorts and using the bats to hit each other.

And the thing is, it would be a much better game for it."

-Bill Bryson Down Under

jaded

First Post
<de-lurk>

+1 for Perth! as previously mentioned, this has to be some kind record :)

just for the record -

beer, cricket, beer, AFL, beer, sun, beer, mates, beer = aussie!

thanks for the bill bryson quote to, even if i did have to clean my montior after spraying beer all over it :)

</de-lurk>

jemkym

First Post
Yet Another One Of Us

Yup, i'm from Oz too!!! Mackay, Queensland (if anyone has heard of it), but at least it's close to Airlie! I mainly lurk... It's what I'm best at :D .

4, count them, 4 sandgropers. This has got to be a record. Are any of you others members of the Hall of Heroes and Heroines? I've been thinking that I should look in on it at some stage but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any info?

Ruavel

First Post
I've thought about checking out the Hall of Heros and Heroines at some stage as well...

I've checked out their website but haven't done much more than that... probably has something to do with the lack of time available betweem work, fencing and my existing rpg group...

:)

if you do check it out, I'd love to know if it's any good...

Remove ads