[OT] Would all the Aussies, please stand up?

hong

WotC's bitch
Eternalknight said:

So far, I think so. Hong still hasn't posted here, and I think he is from Sydney.

Correct.

The reason I have not posted here should be obvious, once you think about it. Fourecks wanted to know who was from AUSTRALIA. And now while I will be the first to wear my allegiance on my sleeve (or at least my T-shirt) as a proud AUSTRIAN, that isn't the same as being an AUSTRALIAN.

This is because, as we all know, Sydney is located on a (most beautiful and picturesque) island just off the east coast of the Australian mainland. The situation is analogous to that in Europe. London is the capital of Europe, despite not actually being IN Europe. Similarly, Sydney is the capital of Austria, but is not in Australia.

Interestingly, Sydney Island is also the closest part of the Australian landmass (taken as a whole) to the New Zealand archipelago, which has led to its being colonised by entire hordes of New Zealanders desperate to get away from all those sheep. You just have to go to Bondi to see what I mean. This is why Sydney Island is sometimes colloquially referred to by other Austrians as being West Auckland (Auckland being the capital of New Zealand).

Hope This Helps!

Hong "fog in Tasman, Australia cut off" Ooi

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Capellan said:

You're the only one to admit they are from Sydney. :)

There have been a few people drop by who didn't specify their location. Odds are some of them were from your neck of the woods.

Pish tosh. Sydneyites assume that everyone from Austria must be from Sydney, and thus don't feel the need to advertise it.

Hong "everyone who MATTERS, anyway" Ooi

Eternalknight

First Post
I was going to say something smart about the New South Wales cricket side, but seeing though they are on top of the table in both the ING and Pura Cups... :(

DDK

Banned
Banned
hong said:
And now while I will be the first to wear my allegiance on my sleeve (or at least my T-shirt) as a proud AUSTRIAN, that isn't the same as being an AUSTRALIAN.
You're a large, flightless, natzi?

:D

Eternalknight

First Post
Wow. I have listened to the tales of fires in Sydney from friends, but have never experienced it... until today. I'm in Sale, roughyly 10 minutes from a couple of large fires burning out of control. the town is blanketed in smoke... scary stuff. :(

Capellan

Explorer
Potential Brisbanites: DRS and Kalanyr (uni admission pending)

How'd you go, guys? Got into something you wanted, I hope?

Looks like the admissions got tougher again, this year. Fewer places, more students.

DDK

Banned
Banned
Fourecks said:
You're a large, flightless, natzi?

Austrian, ostrian, ostrich.

I swear... nobody appreciates my sense of humour... that was DAMN funny and nobody laughed.

Sigh.

Fires in Sydney? I should watch more tv... it'd get me off the net. How all you Sydney folk doing? Hong hasn't posted in a while that I've seen...

drs

First Post
Capellan said:
How'd you go, guys? Got into something you wanted, I hope?

Looks like the admissions got tougher again, this year. Fewer places, more students.
Yeah didn't get into the course I wanted, it went from OP12 to OP7. I've changed my preferences around for mainly straight Bachelor of Arts, and things I can get into :) (IT, BA science). Hopefully if I do well enough in the course I get into I should be able to get into the course I wanted originally, so I've been told.

Eternalknight

First Post
Fourecks said:

Austrian, ostrian, ostrich.

I swear... nobody appreciates my sense of humour... that was DAMN funny and nobody laughed.

Sigh.

Fires in Sydney? I should watch more tv... it'd get me off the net. How all you Sydney folk doing? Hong hasn't posted in a while that I've seen...

Ah, now I get it! :D

As for fires in Sydney... well, not at the moment that I know of, but there were a few weeks ago. But there are definately fires down here!!!

Snoweel

First Post
Sydney.

WhereTF are the Sydneysiders?!?!? All the Ozzies here are either Canetoads or Mexicans. There's even more guys from Perth, even though they must be using laptops hooked up to diesel generators (though I hear electricity is coming soon).

So far it's me, hong, Inez Hull and Geoff Watson (though that name sounds suspiciously New Zealandesque) from sunny Sydney with honorary New South Welshman Sulimo from 'Roidcastle.

Personally, I've just moved to Coogee Beach (which isn't but could be referred to as South South London) in readiness for beginning uni next year (at UNSW), and as for the Australianness of beer...

I quit smoking (again) on the 2nd of January, and have found an excuse to get drunk every day since.

I've been back at work for 4 days...

Remove ads