• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Other Sci-Fi Settings?

Friadoc

Explorer
Ok,

...I know we have both Traveller d20 (or T20 as they call it) and Farscape coming out, but are there others?

I know we have Dragonstar too, but to me that is more Science-Fantasy then Science-Fiction.

Anyhow, I was just curious as Sci-Fi (as is the norm mind you) seems to have slim offerings in d20, as it does in most venues, and I thought I would see what, if anything, I've missed. :cool:

Thanks!

Friadoc

Explorer
Post-Apocalypse,

...not exactly what I had in mind - plus I've checked it out before.

For some reason I always treat, at least mentally, post-apocalyptic as Sci-Fantasy - plus I'm an old Gamma World junky (playtested the Alternity book of it, as well as grew up on the old school stuff).

I'm thinking of things more along the lines of Transhuman Space, or Blue Planet v2.0 - I mean, I know I could play them with their rules OR do my own conversion, but I'm mainly looking into whats out there.

Although, in part, I'm also looking for some creative inspirations too.

Thanks though.

Valanti

First Post
Actually, most of the best SF rpgs are not d20. My favorite is Steve Jackson's Transhuman Space. Even if you're one of the "only d20" crowd, the main book is about 70% setting information (near future, explores nanotech, biotech, space exploration, and AI and their effects on society).

NeghVar

First Post
Don't forget about Fading Suns D20. Picked it up over the weekend...should have bought it months ago.

Definitely worth a look...really good background details and the D20 conversions are first-rate.

Later!

Friadoc

Explorer
Valanti said:
Even if you're one of the "only d20" crowd, the main book is about 70% setting information (near future, explores nanotech, biotech, space exploration, and AI and their effects on society).

Nope,

...the closest I come to, in gaming, to being an 'only' type is that I have a strong pencil-and-paper, face-to-face preference for gaming.

I've been looking into Transhuman Space since it was first mentioned, even read through various playtest files from time to time.

I'm pretty much tied in my appreciation of Transhuman Space and Blue Planet - I've a solid preference for Hard Sci-fi - but the reason I was looking into d20 games for this is because, for some of my groups and current gamer connections, it's a lot easier to get them into a d20 game (or a White Wolf game, as I get comp-books from them as a demo geek) since they know the system and don't always need to buy the new books.

Although, in part, I think I may end up using some of Traveller T20 and d20 Modern (which of course means some of Spycraft) as the basis for my upcoming campaign.

I'm basically planning an exploration/survey-gone-wrong type campaign - although I think watching too much of Outland, Pitch Black, Event Horizon, and Earth 2 may have tainted my mind. :cool:

EarthsShadow

First Post
just a thought

Just a thought here.

If you had the time to convert a Sci-Fi series of books into a setting of sorts into a d20 book, look into Peter F. Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy of books. Those are Science Fiction at its best and would be a really good gaming universe to play in.

I just don't have the time to make up a gaming setting, but if you want good source material, look it up.

Just in case, the titles of the trilogy are:

The Reality Dysfunction.
The Neutronium Alchemist.
The Naked God.

If you like science fiction, read these books.

As for already published material, there really isn't to much out there. I see Dragonstar like Stars Wars, Space Fantasy and not Science fiction.

I don't know if this helps, but its two cents worth of information for ya to know.

CBS Brian

First Post
SC d20

As far as Sci-Fi d20 games go, I am looking into acquiring a license to produce a d20 System game based on a classic old computer game.

I don't know if anyone remembers it, but 10 years after it's release Star Control II is still considered one of the top 100 games ever produced. (I don't remember exactly what number, it might have been the top 25).

For more information about Star Control go to it's official fan site, The Pages of Now & Forever!

If you'd be interested in seeing this product, please mail me!

Undead Pete

First Post
Re: just a thought

EarthsShadow said:
Just a thought here.

If you had the time to convert a Sci-Fi series of books into a setting of sorts into a d20 book, look into Peter F. Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy of books. Those are Science Fiction at its best and would be a really good gaming universe to play in.

I just don't have the time to make up a gaming setting, but if you want good source material, look it up.

Just in case, the titles of the trilogy are:

The Reality Dysfunction.
The Neutronium Alchemist.
The Naked God.

If you like science fiction, read these books.

As for already published material, there really isn't to much out there. I see Dragonstar like Stars Wars, Space Fantasy and not Science fiction.

I don't know if this helps, but its two cents worth of information for ya to know.

WOW!!! I clicked on this thread to make an eerily similar comment. Great series....especially the bitek and voidhawks.

You should also read his latest stand-alone novel Fallen Dragon. It's set in a completely different universe, but equally ricj in detail.

He's one of my favorite authors now.

China Mieville, too.

Okay.....time to stop the tangent ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads