D&D 5E Out of the Abyss in my grubby hands (pic attached)

Why is the Underdark filled with such paltry treasure? Reading through it you scrape a few gold off of the occasional foe with only a couple of higher payouts. And this adventure is supposed to take characters from 1st to 15th level.

pukunui

Legend
Why is the Underdark filled with such paltry treasure? Reading through it you scrape a few gold off of the occasional foe with only a couple of higher payouts. And this adventure is supposed to take characters from 1st to 15th level.
What do the heroes need gold for? You can't buy magic items. By the sounds of it, you get given an army. And the adventure is super-focused on stopping demon lords. No time for the building of strongholds and the like. I'm not seeing the need for the PCs to collect vast amounts of treasure.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Not to mention the acquisition of wealth in 5e has nothing to do with level advancement. Getting from level 1 to 15 is completely achievable without any treasure at all.

*SD's universal post disclaimer: In case it's not obvious and/or for the thick of skull or thin of skin, as with all posts on the interwebs, all of the above should be read/taken as "IMNSHO" and is not intended as insult or attack to anyone involved with this thread.

Not to mention the acquisition of wealth in 5e has nothing to do with level advancement. Getting from level 1 to 15 is completely achievable without any treasure at all.

*SD's universal post disclaimer: In case it's not obvious and/or for the thick of skull or thin of skin, as with all posts on the interwebs, all of the above should be read/taken as "IMNSHO" and is not intended as insult or attack to anyone involved with this thread.

Tell that to the Wizard who has to scribe spells. The magical loot is also pretty tame from what I've seen thus far. And lots of that is drow-crafted, nigh-useless outside the Underdark.

pukunui

Legend
And lots of that is drow-crafted, nigh-useless outside the Underdark.
Considering that any PCs going through this campaign are going to spend 3/4 of their adventuring career in the Underdark, how is that a problem exactly?

As an aside, I've been playing in a long-running 5e conversion of the Age of Worms campaign. We recently hit 19th level. The only original character left in the campaign is the wizard, and I can't recall him ever scribing even a single spell scroll, and he's been doing just fine. We haven't really needed to spend our money on anything - and again, this is a campaign that's super-focused on "saving the world", so we haven't had the opportunity to muck about building keeps and that sort of thing. As a result, we're sitting on piles of cash that we don't really need and can't really spend.

Last edited:

Considering that any PCs going through this campaign are going to spend 3/4 of their adventuring career in the Underdark, how is that a problem exactly?

As an aside, I've been playing in a long-running 5e conversion of the Age of Worms campaign. We recently hit 19th level. The only original character left in the campaign is the wizard, and I can't recall him ever scribing even a single spell scroll, and he's been doing just fine. We haven't really needed to spend our money on anything - and again, this is a campaign that's super-focused on "saving the world", so we haven't had the opportunity to muck about building keeps and that sort of thing. As a result, we're sitting on piles of cash that we don't really need and can't really spend.

Scribing a spell scroll? No. Scribing spells in a spell book. Drow-forged weapons are a major step down from normal magical weapons. And who says the PCs will spend all those levels in just this adventure? So to get back to my original point, no, I'm not impressed with the treasure in this adventure.

pukunui

Legend
Scribing a spell scroll? No. Scribing spells in a spell book.
Ah. No, I don't think the wizard in my group has ever scribed a spell into his spellbook beyond the two freebies he gets each level. We just haven't come across any other wizards' spellbooks, I don't think; nor have we really had time for him to go searching for other wizards willing to let him borrow their books.

Drow-forged weapons are a major step down from normal magical weapons. And who says the PCs will spend all those levels in just this adventure? So to get back to my original point, no, I'm not impressed with the treasure in this adventure.
Well, if you're planning on playing the adventure straight through, I imagine you will be spending the majority of levels 1-15 in the Underdark. That's sort of the point of the adventure.

If, however, you're just going to use bits of it in a different campaign, then maybe yeah. But if you're going to be doing that much customizing already, why not just customize the loot in the process? You can also always ignore the rule about drow magic not working in sunlight as well.

The Hitcher

Explorer

This is really encouraging, from my perspective. LMoP gave out a stupid amount of treasure that my players never really needed. I ran a homebrew adventure afterwards and gave out almost nothing and no-one missed it. Tracking coins is not a high priority at our table. Just give out extra if it is at yours.

Ah. No, I don't think the wizard in my group has ever scribed a spell into his spellbook beyond the two freebies he gets each level. We just haven't come across any other wizards' spellbooks, I don't think; nor have we really had time for him to go searching for other wizards willing to let him borrow their books.

Well, if you're planning on playing the adventure straight through, I imagine you will be spending the majority of levels 1-15 in the Underdark. That's sort of the point of the adventure.

If, however, you're just going to use bits of it in a different campaign, then maybe yeah. But if you're going to be doing that much customizing already, why not just customize the loot in the process? You can also always ignore the rule about drow magic not working in sunlight as well.

There I completely agree. Really depends on the group and DM. As someone said above, loot doesn't matter because 'you can't buy magic items'. Says who? The DM will control that completely. But as the mod stands on it's own, the rewards are less generous than I would of thought for an adventure of this scale.

Remove ads