D&D 5E Out of the Abyss: Underdark as Favored Terrain

epithet

Explorer
It seems to me there is a simple solution:

[sblock]The drow hunting party contains two elite warriors, Jorlan and Shoor. Give one of them the trait of Favored Terrain: Underdark as if he was a ranger, that way the pursuers have the same chance to overtake the party as they would have without a ranger in the party. If you feel like it, give the drow "ranger" a giant wolf spider as a "pet," and when the party kills the nasty thing have your drow "ranger" some character by wailing "You killed Leggsie!" in the final confrontation.[/sblock]

It's amazing to me, how much people complain about mechanics breaking the game just because they can't think of creative compromises. I'm currently playing a drow ranger in out of the abyss and we're having no issues. My DM expressed his hesitation because the possibility of getting lost was a mechanic that made the story more interesting, and I agreed, so we decided that in situations where it suits the story or the mood of the situation I won't have my benefits for plot reasons. Maybe I'm distressed from being tortured in prison, maybe I'm stressed and afraid of being captured again so I make a stupid mistake, maybe I'm distracted thinking of a recent failure, maybe I'm not as familiar with that part of the underdark as I am in other parts. This issue is easily solved with imagination.

Remove ads