D&D 5E Out of the Abyss - what Archmage Gromph knows [spoilers]

Banesfinger

Explorer
I just finished reading "Archmage: homecoming book 1", and intend on DMing Rage of Demons: Out of the Abyss.

The basic plot of the adventure (in the later half of the adventure; after visiting Gauntlgrym) is to find out what's going on with the demons in the Underdark.

However, in the final chapters of Archmage, Gromph escapes to Gauntlgrym and is greeted by the main group of characters (e.g. King Bruenor Battlehammer). While the novel leaves off there (cliff-hanger) it is clear that Bruenor and Catti-brie are aware that Gromph has summoned Demogorgon into the Underdark (Menzoberranzan).

So why (in the adventure: chapter 8) does Bruenor instruct the PCs to "find out what's going on", when he is well aware of what's going on? It would seem more likely that he would just instruct the PCs to "find a way to stop it" (i.e. go to chapter 11: Gravenhollow)?

Am I missing something?

Inconnunom

Explorer
It was not stated what Gromph told Cattie-brie. Maybe something about demons; maybe only that he fled menzobaranzan and he wants to escape. In addition, Gromph does not know what is going on with the faerzruss or with the other demons.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Novel != Adventure

I think that's succinct enough. :) Two different things; read the novels together, but don't assume what happens there happens or is even considered in the adventures (or video games for that matter). I still think WotC is making a huge mistake trying to 'force' one story line throughout the "D&D Experience". I could care less about pretty much everything other than D&D RPG books. Novels, short stories, video games, card games, breakfast cereals, or whatever else they come up with. I'm not buying any of that crap. Just give me good, solid, easily modifiable adventures.

Anyway...yeah. Obviously the Bruenor in the novels isn't talking to his RPG Adventure counterpart clone.

EDIT: Ok, thought about it. I'd totally buy some Sugar-Coated Beholder Bites or Carrion Crawler Crispies in a second! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Ainulindalion

First Post
I think it's pretty clear that Gromph flees before he is able to work out that he ripped a giant hole between the Prime Material and the Abyss.

In the case of King Bruenor, I think at that point he is more concerned with Gauntlgrym itself (securing it, making sure it doesn't explode, etc.) than pushing into the Underdark. Gromph shows up and goes "I broke :):):):) so bad I had to flee from my evil family and the evil city I live in, but I'm still pretty evil, so, yeah, uh..." and Bruenor goes "Lock the doors to the Underdark. Stand guard. Nothing in or out unless you know 'em or I tells ya'. Now, where was I on opening up the old mines and setting up communication with and maybe magical transport to Mithral Hall and Citadel Adbar? And how are we doing on securing the primordial so we don't vaporize the Sword Coast when we turn the Great Forge on? And did all me kin with demon poison in 'em get better yet? And have the kobolds in the North passages, the goblins in the south passages, and the dretches in the coal mine been dealt with yet?"

aarduini

Explorer
Gromph did not know he was summoning Demogorgon. He thought he was summoning a major demon, not a demon lord. This whole issue was caused because LLoth tricked the Psionicist (can't think of his name) into getting Gromph to cast the spell that would weaken the faerzruss. I wouldn't conclude that everyone in that chamber at the end of the book has no idea what is going on.

Inconnunom

Explorer
Gromph did not know he was summoning Demogorgon. He thought he was summoning a major demon, not a demon lord. This whole issue was caused because LLoth tricked the Psionicist (can't think of his name) into getting Gromph to cast the spell that would weaken the faerzruss. I wouldn't conclude that everyone in that chamber at the end of the book has no idea what is going on.

Kimmuriel Oblodra.

The only person in the chamber at the end that knows Gromph summoned Demogorgon, explicitly stated in the book, is Jarlaxle. There was a telepathic conversation between Cattie-brie and Gromph but we don't know what they had talked about. Cattie-brie only mentions she knows Gromph needs help. Maybe he said he was cast out? We don't know at this point. I'm sure the vagueness was intentional as there were different authors working on different books (OotA and Archmage)

So, Bruenor really doesn't know what is going on.

CapnZapp

Legend
Novel != Adventure
This.

However, having said that, the novel could still be made useful for us DMs, by you bookreaders speculating and extrapolating on the background bits and bobs that the book tells you but the adventure doesn't tell us.

For instance, if Gromph himself doesn't know what has happened, that would be useful. (At least in a thousand sessions from now, when the heroes finally meet him)

But insisting that the King Bruenor that meets Drizzt is the same as the king Bruenor that meets the player characters is a futile endeavor. That is a problem we do not need.

Let's instead focus on mining the book for tidbits that are actually useful for dungeonmastering the adventure :)

Mirtek

Hero
Groomph of course know what he did. He didn't intend it and might not yet realize what went wrong, but he certainly knows that he was suddenly groveling in his soiled robed before the prince of demons. Kimmuriel knows a more of what why it wen't different than Groomph expected, but he too doesn't know why.

jrowland

First Post
I am pretty sure Gromph was asking for help in Luskan (where he is holed up with his Bro, Jaraxle) at the Host Tower of the Arcane...ie, he wants moar power and of course cattie-brie and co need the help to keep Hotenow from going all primordial. It's the hook for the next book.

Remove ads