D&D 5E Out of the Abyss - what Archmage Gromph knows [spoilers]

Banesfinger

Explorer
Kimmuriel Oblodra.

The only person in the chamber at the end that knows Gromph summoned Demogorgon, explicitly stated in the book, is Jarlaxle. There was a telepathic conversation between Cattie-brie and Gromph but we don't know what they had talked about. Cattie-brie only mentions she knows Gromph needs help. Maybe he said he was cast out? We don't know at this point. I'm sure the vagueness was intentional as there were different authors working on different books (OotA and Archmage)

Obviously Kimmuriel (psionicaly) knows what happened (hardcover, page 351-352), he says "Gromph...summoned... [whisper] Demogorgon."
And likely a 4th person also knows that Gromph summoned Demogorgon: Matron Mother Zeerith Xorlarrin (Hardcover: epilogue, page 361-362), the candid conversation between Kimmuriel and Gromph "What did you do?" was done in front of the Matron Mother.
And Gromph absolutely knows what he did (page 361): "Gromph cleared his throat. He didn't much like the vulnerability his error had brought upon him, but he had, after all, summoned Demogorgon to the Prime Material Plane."

Your are correct, it would be speculation to guess what Gromph (telepathically?) said to Catti-brie, but for her to say "You need us" (page 355) to one of the most powerful wizards of the mortal realms, it would have to be a very big/powerful request indeed. And if Catti-brie knows, you can guess the rest of the company would be told as well.

The point is, we won't find out until April 2016 (when the next book is out). Obviously, most people will be done (or well into) the adventure by then.
While I can obviously 'fudge' this point, I'd like to keep intact with the multi-genre story line if at all possible. (Many of my players also read the books, play the MMO, and have plans to purchase the Sword Coast Legends computer game (all featuring coinciding story-lines).

Nemio

First Post
Obviously Kimmuriel (psionicaly) knows what happened (hardcover, page 351-352), he says "Gromph...summoned... [whisper] Demogorgon."
And likely a 4th person also knows that Gromph summoned Demogorgon: Matron Mother Zeerith Xorlarrin (Hardcover: epilogue, page 361-362), the candid conversation between Kimmuriel and Gromph "What did you do?" was done in front of the Matron Mother.
And Gromph absolutely knows what he did (page 361): "Gromph cleared his throat. He didn't much like the vulnerability his error had brought upon him, but he had, after all, summoned Demogorgon to the Prime Material Plane."

Your are correct, it would be speculation to guess what Gromph (telepathically?) said to Catti-brie, but for her to say "You need us" (page 355) to one of the most powerful wizards of the mortal realms, it would have to be a very big/powerful request indeed. And if Catti-brie knows, you can guess the rest of the company would be told as well.

The point is, we won't find out until April 2016 (when the next book is out). Obviously, most people will be done (or well into) the adventure by then.
While I can obviously 'fudge' this point, I'd like to keep intact with the multi-genre story line if at all possible. (Many of my players also read the books, play the MMO, and have plans to purchase the Sword Coast Legends computer game (all featuring coinciding story-lines).

One of my players reads the books and whe don't advance that quickly with our sessions.
Will there be spoilers for him when we start the OotA adventure?

Last edited:

Prism

Explorer

I'm pretty sure that telepathic conversation was in relation to the Host Tower or the Arcane since that has connections with the primordial and the forges. That would be the kind of thing Catti-brie would be able to help with considering her magical ring and knowledge of the beast.

I thing it would be very out of character for Gromph to admit his mistake to her or in fact any of the companions. It must be pretty embarrassing for him, and to be honest its not like he looks like he wants help at all with the demon problem. He has basically done a runner from it. I don't think Gromph has any intention of trying to correct his mistake and certainly not asking for help. So I would suggest Catti-brie and therefore Bruenor have no idea about the scale of the demon issue at this stage.

Banesfinger

Explorer
I'm pretty sure that telepathic conversation was in relation to the Host Tower or the Arcane since that has connections with the primordial and the forges.
That is a good guess, considering the short write-up of the next book (from Amazon).

So I would suggest Catti-brie and therefore Bruenor have no idea about the scale of the demon issue at this stage.
Perhaps, but we can deduct that some time has passed between the final events of Archmage (homecoming book 1) and the Rage of Demons: Out of the Abyss table-top adventure:
When the PCs first meet King Bruenor, Gauntlgrym is not portrayed as a city in the midst of war (or even clearing the lower chambers of drow/goblins/demons). I would guess the dwarves have had (some?) time to capture and fortify the city. I would guess that would take several months?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Am I the only one who thinks WTF?! when they read the name "Cattie-brie"? Most of Salvatore's character names don't roll off the tongue and for that reason alone I'm steering clear of the books. I enjoyed Feist's Magician series very much (until I couldn't remember where I was in the series and then gave up) so it's not like I don't enjoy a good sword and sorcery yarn :)

Remove ads