"Out of the Frying Pan"- Book III: Fanning the Embers

Manzanita

First Post
Great update there. Nemmerle is not afraid to be gross. I like it.

Nemm, have there been any clues as to who is going to die? Probably not, since death in RPGs tends to be the result of individual encounters, as opposed to "fate". I like games with a bit of body count. They seem more realistic. Personally, If someone's going to die, I hope it's Beorth. He's already a bit screwed up since he lost his memory, so it might be nice for his player to start afresh. Or maybe Kazrack, since he's just lost two levels & I don't see when he'll get them back. Just don't kill Ratchis, Martin or Jeremy!

Two replies

First, to Martin Olarin - I agree that Kazrack's actions were good roleplaying, and enjoyed the results (such as the period during which Martin was surreptitiously casting defensive spells on Kazrack). My comment was tongue-in-cheek and I meant no offense.

Second, to Nemm - the babies were horrific. The concept is evil enough, but the rats and insects feeding on and living in the undead flesh really upped the ghoul factor.

Jon Potter

First Post
Re: eh?

nemmerle said:
I was certain that a friggin' writhing pile of infant zombie half-orcs would prevoke more of a response. . . :cool:

What do you mean? All of my games include undead babies. :D

If I was Ratchis, I'd be wondering what those gnolls have in mind for my forced progeny. But maybe I'm seeing conspiracies where none exist.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #42

Session #42

Session #42: In which the party finally makes progress at gaining a foothold in the Necropolis of Doom…

Teflem, the 13th of Prem – 564 H.E.

It was not until noon that they reach the monolith again. The Ra’s Glory hung at its apex, a chariot racing over a blue hill, and cast off heat without mercy. The march back and forth was several hours, and the ash was unrelenting. After days of breathing it in, they all felt a weight in their chests and their throats were raw and hurt when they swallowed. Jeremy had torn the bottom off his cloak and made a scarf that he kept wrapped around his nose and mouth. The torn ends billowed in the breeze.

The day before they had discussed strategies and argued about priorities…

“If we are to get a foothold in that place from which to explore the rest of it we must destroy the shadows first,” Beorth said, he had already expressed his belief that there was much more to the place that had not yet been discovered.

“I think it is obvious from our encounters thus far that we are incapable of destroying these shadows with the power of our gods, for we are too weak of vessels,” Belear intoned.

“Well, we can drive them away, but I do not think that will be enough,” Beorth said. “We cannot hope to uncover whatever it is about this place with those things dogging us and draining our very strength.

“Perhaps this will take too much time,” Captain Adalar started up on a topic he had brought up repeatedly since they had arrived at these dead lands. “Let us leave this until after we have dealt with the gnomes.”

“I do not think we can leave this,” Ratchis said. “What if something happens to us when we fight the gnomes? This is an evil place and needs to be dealt with.”

“I cannot let this lie,” added Beorth.

“And what if something happens to us here? Who will help the gnomes?” Martin asked.

No one had an answer. In the end the final decision was left to Kazrack as he represented a member of the opposed groups as to the course of action.

“We explore this place some more,” he said, after weighing it carefully for a few moments. “Lehrathonar sometimes hides his secret lore in strange places.”

Belear nodded gravely. Captain Adalar accepted the decision without a word.

------------------------

And now Kazrack, Beorth and Ratchis were being lower into the shaft again. The ropes cracked and wheezed, as it was slowly uncoiled and fed down the chasm.

They had gone over the code of rope tugs to let those doing the lowering when to stop, continue descent or go back up.

Captain Adalar had wanted to change the code.

“I think we should use a system of long tugs and short tugs,” he said. “You know, as in short-short-long means go back up.”

Jeremy rolled his eyes and elbowed Derek.

“Let’s not,” the Neergaardian laughed obnoxiously.

“I’ll have you know that is the system used in dwarven mines,” Adalar was insulted. “You can spell out the entire dwarvish alphabet with short and long pulls.”

“That’s fascinating,” Jeremy replied sarcastically.

“Yeah, interesting,” added Derek. They laughed together; their similar attitude and age having made them bond over the last several days.

Beorth’s helm shone with the divine light of the dwarven gods, as Belear had cast the spell upon it as they were first lowered in. The light illuminated the cobwebby and dusty first ledge as they passed it, and they did not stop until they again reached the next split-level ledge where they had first encountered the skeletal armored guards.

Three sets of two tugs and they were all dangling there. Ratchis made it to the lip of the ledge with its low wall in his first try, but Kazrack swung twice before frantically grabbing the wall in a scramble and pulling himself over. Beorth however, was soon spinning wildly in dizzying figure eights.

Ratchis slipped out of his harness and yanked hard once, signaling for the others to pull it up. The plan called for more of them come down and face this menace.

Kazrack remained in his and leaned out with his halberd, to allow Beorth something to grab on to. The paladin clutched the pole-axe and the dwarf pulled him in, the way the light spell shone against the scales of his armor gave the dwarf the impression that he had just reeled in a shining fish.

Beorth sat on the low wall and took a deep breath.

“I am amazed the shadows have not attacked yet,” Beorth said.

“Because we wanted you to be comfortable,” a voice hissed, and two shadowy forms emerged from the darkness at two of the staircases. One was harder to see, being in the dimmer area that Ratchis stood in. It swooped at him, clawing with a cold insubstantial claw. The half-orc priest could feel his limbs whither as the cold passed through him. The second shadow dove towards the light of the shining helm like a black moth, turning effortlessly in the air and lazily leaning out a hand to pass through Kazrack. The dwarf shivered and he felt a great weight upon him, as his limbs protested.

The adventurers barely had time to register what had happened when the shadows swung about and did it again. Ratchis let out a weak growl, and Kazrack’s teeth chattered as his halberd sunk in his hands.

“Foul servants of light, you will join us!” one of the shadows hissed.

Ratchis leapt back and around putting a sarcophagus between him and the shadow.

“Nephthys, bring forth your wrath in the form of your favored weapon to destroy these foul creatures!” Ratchis called out to his goddess and translucent spear of golden light appeared on the other side of the shadow and thrust forward. Ratchis could see some the thing’s “shadow stuff” dissipate with the blow and he smiled.

Beorth stood upon the lip and took a hard swing over his head at the shadow that pestered Kazrack, calling on Anubis power to fill his blade. However, the shadow danced easily out of the way, hissing at him.

Kazrack leaned back and ducking his body about wildly was able to enchant his halberd with one of his gods’ miracles.

The shadow near Ratchis fled from the face of the spear and dove at Beorth, clawing him and drawing more strength from the paladin. Kazrack was still moving about wildly and was able to avoid another attack from the shadow he was facing. He swung his halberd through the shadow, but it passed through with no effect.

Ratchis however was having more success. His spiritual spear thrust into the shadow troubling Kazrack with a sizzle of divine energy. The thing let out an unearthly shriek that echoed up and out to the others.

“Maybe we should go help them now,” Martin suggested, but Ratchis’ rope was still being hauled up the long length of the shaft.

“I’m going down now,” Jeremy announced, and leapt onto the rope that was attached to Kazrack and began to slide down hand over hand with great proficiency, his swords dangling and slapping back and forth as he disappeared with a look of determination into the darkness.

Ratchis need not control his spiritual weapon, so he let it do its thing while he ducked behind the sarcophagus fished out some stones he had collected out at the scrubland. He waved his hand over them, and whispered, “Nephthys, bless these rocks so that they may contain some small measure of your righteousness in this bleak place.”

The stones glowed for a moment, and they were warm in his hand. Whenever Ratchis felt the divine power of his goddess pass through him it always reminded him of what he was fighting for.

“Anubis, I failed in my last attempt,” Beorth was having a conversation with his god at the top of his lungs as he fought, as if he needed encouragement to maintain the fervor he had forgotten with the rest of his life, and that he now desperately tried to reenact. “Please grant me some more of your divine wrath so that I may return this creature to the peace of death.”

There was an audible ‘whoosh’ as the sword missed cleanly.

The shadow mocked him, “Why not call upon your god’s power to send us away, so that we might come again and again and remind you that you and it are too weak to keep us at bay for long.”

“Soon, you will be one of us,” the other shadow hissed as it dodged back and forth to avoid the spiritual spear and Kazrack’s poleaxe.

“Natan-ahb, I fear these creatures will steal my last strength, but my strength is for you and you alone,” Kazrack intoned, clutching his pouch of runestones with his left hand. “Send these things away.”

“You are only delaying the inevitable,” the shadow before him hissed, as swirled like smoke to avoid Ratchis’ spear. The attempted turning had failed.

Beorth moaned softly as he felt the cold claw of one of the shadows again. He stumbled, but the rope and harness jerked him back up, and he returned to his senses.

The spiritual spear found its target again, as Ratchis threw one of his magic stones at the one harassing Beorth. The stone flew past them both and plummeted into the shaft bouncing about loudly.

“Anubis! I implore you! Bring forth your wrath even if you must strike me down as well for having failed you these two times. Please show forgiveness and show these creatures the coldness of death!” Beorth swung his sword with his little remain strength, calling the vengeance of his god to fill his blade and as it passed through the shadow, hr could feel the blade jerk as if it caught on something.

The shadow shrieked as a good portion of his essence seemed to ‘tear away’ from it as the sword left the other side. It melted into nothingness.

Kazrack by this time able to position himself beside the sarcophagus that Ratchis hid behind, looking to gain its cover as well. The shadow he faced let the dwarf go and flew into Beorth, who shuddered and wobbled again, as he lost even more of his strength.

Jeremy was hanging about ten feet above the ledge when he saw this happen by the light emanating from Beorth’s helmet. The young Neergaardian hesitated for a moment, but then shrugging his shoulders he swung on the rope and threw himself down towards the lip of the ledge.

Even he seemed surprised when he made it.

Ratchis spear danced about the remaining shadow, but failed to score another blow, as one of the half-orc’s stones flew right through it without effect.

Beorth missed again, the very last of his strength making his swing look feeble even with divine guidance.

“Jeremy! We’re weakened,’ Kazrack called out. “Finish that creature as quickly as possible!”

“I’m on it!” Jeremy cried leaping over a sarcophagus and getting between Beorth and the shadow, but it was too late. The thing was pulling off the paladin as the servant of Anubis collapsed under the weight of his armor and weapons. He was helpless.

“Get away from him!” Jeremy commanded the shadow, and it hissed.

The spiritual spear disappeared, and Ratchis stood and walked over to the melee casting magic weapon on his masterwork war hammer.

Kazrack hurried past Ratchis to try to flank the thing, while Beorth though lying on the ground tried one last tactic. He called on Anubis’ power to try to turn the thing and make it flee before one last hit made Beorth into one of those things.

“Anubis, I am weak,” Beorth implored softly. “But my faith in you grows stronger. Please drive off this creature that seeks to make a mockery of my living breath.”

The turn attempt failed.

The shadow ignored Beorth, however, as the paladin posed no threat, and it attacked Kazrack who barely ducked out of the way.

Jeremy’s blade went right through the thing with no effect.

Ratchis joined the pile up on the black floating abomination, but his hammer missed as well, as the shadow bobbed back and forth between the combatants.

Beorth would not give up. Again he called on his god’s divine energy and tried to force the shadow away. Once again his shawl glowed with a brightness of daylight, and this time the thing shrieked and took off at an angle up the shaft. Kazrack took one last swing at it, hitting, but the blade passed through. The thing disappeared into the darkness.

There was a moment of no sound except for the heavy breathing of the four adventurers, and then came the baby cries again.

Jeremy shuddered. “Gods! What a terrible sound!”

“Something is moving up the steps,” Kazrack warned. He turned to see more of the skeletal minions coming up the stone steps to this level of the ledge. “Everyone run! I’ll hold them off!”

The dwarf move to the closer stairs, calling on his gods to send off the skeletal guards, but the dark oppression of this place seemed to make channeling the divine energy more difficult.

Ratchis hefted Beorth up by his armpits, using the low wall for support and then tugged on the paladin’s rope four times (which was the signal for those above to pull someone up as quickly as possible without stopping) and yelled up cupping his hand to the side of his mouth. “And Send Belear down!”

Above no one heard the command, but they felt the rope tug and soon Beorth was making his way up. His head lolling from side to side as he barely had the strength to hold up the glowing helm.

Ratchis winced as he felt the cold blows of the black bolts sting his side. He turned to face the second guardian, which was at the top of a set of stairs fifteen feet away. Jeremy sheathed the Right Blade of Arofel and leaped at the thing with his long sword in two hands

Kazrack roared as he exchanged blows with the strange undead thing. He cut a large rent in its ring mail armor, but suffered a sword blow to the collar, that he barely was able to turn away from. The dwarf could feel his neck stiffen and swell and blood vessels burst.

Jeremy dealt a devastating blow to one of these Minions making it spin in place and amble around the sarcophagus towards Ratchis, who smacked it once with his hammer, crunching bone. But it still did not go down.

Meanwhile, Beorth was being hauled up and taking the light with him. Below Jeremy began to curse.

Beorth was barely able to look up to see that Martin the Green was being lowered down. He was tied up in the harness that Ratchis had sent back up. The shaggy red-haired mage, his fancy green robes stained with black ash in long streaks looked down worriedly.

“Beorth! What’s going on?”

“Our strength has been drained,” Beorth replied weakly.

“I’ll need your helmet,” the watch-mage said, and he grabbed the glowing helm off the paladin’s head as they passed each other and slipped it on his own.

Beorth shrugged, as he was pulled further up towards the light. Martin’s descent continued.

Below, the adventurers’ troubles were worsening. Kazrack’s halberd blade went right through his opponent’s neck… as if it were a ghost!

“What the…?” the dwarf was dumb-founded. He squinted his eyes and then opened them wide, and could now tell that these things were suddenly ‘blinking’ in and out of existence with great speed, giving them the ghostly feature.

“I need light!” Jeremy called, cautiously making his way towards the Minion that faced down Ratchis.

Ratchis stepped back and called to Nephthys. In a moment, his hammer was glowing with light as if it were a torch.

Jeremy moved and flanked the thing, but his sword went right through as Kazrack’s weapon had at the other.

“Gods dammit!” Jeremy cried out. “I hate these things!”

Kazrack let out a muffled cry, as the ghostly nature of his opponent did not stop it from sending two bolts of black energy at him.

As Martin was coming level with the fight he chanted, “Parma Magica”, casting his shield spell. Realizing that he had forgotten to give the “stop” signal on the rope, he began to tug wildly as he moved past the ledge.

The smell of mildew and rotting flesh was overwhelming down here, and he gagged, feeling unused bile come up to the back of his throat.

“I’m glad I haven’t eaten in weeks,” Martin said, when he finally stopped being lowered. He could hear the muted mewling of the babies below and shivered.

Again, Kazrack and Ratchis both tried to call on their ability to channel divine power to send these undead away, but it failed. Unlike the shadows, these foes were silent never speaking a word, and always coming straight on.

Kazrack felt more blood pouring down his body as the thing’s long sword slapped him in the ribs.

“Let’s try a different approach,” Jeremy said, swinging his sword downward in a wide arc, and feeling it cleave the thing’s helmet and skull. As it tumbled to the ground, into an awkward sitting position, the young swordsman felt the blade of his sword yank out of the skull. He slashed again, striking its shoulder, and now its left arm hung by some thin tendons.

The Minion awkwardly got to its feet weakly swinging at Jeremy, who easily avoided the blow.

As Martin tried to make it to the ledge to help out (managing only to swing about the shaft wildly, losing all control), Ratchis’ hammer was going right through the minion he and Jeremy were facing.

“I will prove that my gods have not abandoned me!” Kazrack cried out. “Natan-ahb! Send these creatures back to the tombs from which they came!”

Nothing happened.

“They must be illusions,” Kazrack speculating that the failure of his god’s power had to have some reasonable explanation.

As he stood there flabbergasted, his opponent found an opening and its sword went diving into the dwarf’s neck. The blow should have sent the dwarf’s head flying, but instead it passed through him in ghostly form.

Kazrack was even more shocked now, bewildered by these things.

Jeremy continued to whack the Minion before him with blows that would have long ago killed a man.

However, the Minion’s armor was scored, and gray brain matter bubbled and spurted from its cloven helmet. It moved to place a sarcophagus between itself and its combatants.

Jeremy took the opportunity to strike it again. He could hear ribs falling loosely behind the armor. Ratchis tried as well, but the thing spun around and jerked backward, lifting a hand to fire two more bolts into the half-orc.

Martin was finally able to stabilize his swinging, but he still hung in the middle of the shaft, helplessly watching the battle.

Kazrack struck his foe again.

”Kazrack, force it down the stairs!” Jeremy called to his companion. “You can do it!”

“Nephthys, turn your blessed compassion into this creature’s doom!” Ratchis begged his goddess, as he cast cure light wounds and reached out to simply touch the thing, but his hand went right through. The spell was not wasted, but no damage was done either.

Above, Beorth was dragged off the rope and Derek quickly grabbed it, and was beginning to be lowered down to join his companions.

Jeremy moved around behind Ratchis to aid Kazrack, causing a resounding ring as he struck it in the head with his long sword.

Ratchis ducked a long sword blow from the other, as Martin began to swing wildly again, unable to make it to the edge of the ledge. The half-orc reached up with his ensorcelled hand again, and felt the positive energy discharge. The Minion collapsed into a pile of bones and rusted armor.

“Thank you, Nephthys,” the priest said softly.

Kazrack thrust his halberd at the Minion, which was now at the top of the very top of the stairs to the lower level, but missing left himself open for a riposte, feeling the sword blade drag up his side, tearing a rent in his chain shirt. Jeremy cleaved it in the right arm, sending shard of bone and gore flying out in a shower, but the thing still did not fall.

Kazrack withdrew and swung his halberd to keep the thing at bay, as Ratchis ran up without fear of his own danger and calling on his goddess’ power again punch the thing in the skull. Again, he felt the positive energy discharge, and in a moment the thing was tumbling loudly down the stone steps.

Again, there was silence, except for the creaking of ropes. Even the zombie babies below were quiet.

Derek came level with the ledge everyone was one, as Kazrack leaned out with his halberd to help Martin steady himself.

“Go back up, Derek,” Ratchis said to the young tracker. “We have to all go back up.”

Derek nodded. Martin looked at Ratchis and understood that party was in no shape to continue. He tugged on the rope and soon he was being pulled back up as well.

“I will go up last,” Kazrack announced in typical fashion.

Jeremy rolled his eyes.

“Kazrack, that makes no sense,” Ratchis replied, frustration in his voice. “You are severely weakened.”

“I’ll leave it to you two to determine who is last,” Jeremy said, and leapt onto the rope Kazrack was still attached to and started climbing up hand over hand.

They waited for rope to be lowered to Ratchis, and thus were both pulled up at the same time.

“This place is more fraught with peril than we thought,” Belear commented.

“We’ve killed more of those things, however,” Ratchis replied. “And only one shadow remains to block our way.

No one replied.

“We should rest for the night and again the next day and then return,” Ratchis suggested. “Does everyone agree that the patient approach is the best?”

Belear nodded. The dwarves were silent, but some grumbled. Jeremy rolled his eyes.

“I will need my strength before I can do what Anubis asks of me,” Beorth croaked. “I will need to rest.”

“Yes, that is the best course of action,” Kazrack concurred.

“In the meantime…” Belear walked over to Kazrack and lay a hand on him calling out to Rivkanal, the dwarven god-mother. Kazrack felt some small measure of his strength return to him. Belear walked over the Beorth and did the same, and now the paladin could lift his own weight and walk.

The weight of the company’s gear was redistributed so that those who were weakened need not carry as much and the march back to the edge of this crater of dead land began again in earnest.

Anulem, the 14th of Prem – 564 H.E.

The next morning, dawn came up with a stiff wind that sent sheets of ash cascading down on the campsite. The previous night had been spent with nervous watches of five people at a time looking in all directions for the return of the last shadow, and going out in groups of three to collect what little wood they could from the patches of scrubby trees.

Belear was examining the spellbook that Martin had taken from the necromancer gnome, Frear several days before. (1) The watch-mage had asked the dwarven priest to prepare a miracle that might allow him to break the magical spell on the book, which Martin was convinced was a dangerous ward of some kind.

The elder dwarf was unable to break the enchantment.

“Are we going back into that nasty place?” Thomas chittered in Martin’s mind. He had a tone of disgust and anxiety.

“Yes, Thomas.”

“Why do we keep trying to get in there?” Thomas whined. “I want to go back to the gnomes. I like the gnomes.”

“We all do, Thomas,” Martin replied, patting his familiar’s head absently. “But we have to do this because Ratchis and the others think it’ll help them.”

“Do you think it will help them?”

“It doesn’t matter what I think.”

“You know, you should be the leader,” Thomas said, lovingly.

“No, I shouldn’t,” Martin replied. “But thanks for saying so anyway.”

---------------------

Later in the day, a bored Jeremy began to pester Blodnath with questions again, when he saw the dwarf doing something with his ‘trap-box’. (2)

“Hey, Blodnath!” Jeremy plopped down with his back to the wind behind the tent, right beside the wiry white-haired dwarf. “D’you think you could show me how that toy of yours works?”

“It’s not a toy.”

“Uh, yeah… whatever it is…the training device. Can I see it?”

Blodnath eyed the blonde human, “Sure, “I’ll set it up for you.”

“I once saw someone use a bulb full of oil to help pick a lock,” Jeremy chattered. “Do you have one of those? Or is that too advanced for this type of game?”

“This is not a game,” Blodnath snapped with annoyance. He pulled the box off his lap. “I don’t think you’re really serious about this, boy.”

“No, no, I promise to take it seriously,” Jeremy protested. “I am a quick study.”

“Humans are really no good at this kind of stuff because it takes patience,” Blodnath said. “You’re not ready for the box. I’ll tell you about different kinds of locks instead.”

Jeremy sat and listened and soon his curiosity overcame his disappointment and he asked an annoyed Blodnath a question about everything the dwarf tried to explain. Derek sat around the corner of the tent. Listening to it all.

---------------------------------

The rest of the day passed without event. Belear and Ratchis spread around the lesser restoration spells, to help out Kazrack and Beorth - along with a good deal of healing for the original trio to descend.

Ralem, the 15th of Prem – 564 H.E.

The next morning found the company marching across the ash once again towards the monolith and the shaft entrance. Ratchis had cast lesser restoration once again first thing, but the paladin (and Kazrack, as well) was not back up to his natural great strength.

As they marched they discussed their options for exploring the area below.

“I believe we should all go down and set up a base there to explore deeper if we must,” Captain Adalar suggested. “I think we are making a mistake dividing our strength as we have been doing.”

“It is too dangerous to just leave one or two people up there to guard the ropes, and that would counter the whole point to begin with, and if someone cuts the ropes from above we could be in trouble,” Ratchis said.

“You mean ‘trapped’,” Martin interjected.

“I would say, ‘in trouble’,” Ratchis replied to his companion, with an air of contempt.

“I would say, ‘trapped’,” Martin said.

“That’s because you’ve always been the optimist of the group, Martin,” Ratchis lashed out with his words.

Overhearing, Beorth wondered at Ratchis’ behavior. If the paladin of Anubis had still had his memory he might have been taken back with how much Ratchis had changed since they had first met him. (3) Once taciturn and impulsive, he was now very vocal about his opinions, and often used intimidation to enforce his desires over Martin’s and sometimes, even Jeremy’s, to push the party towards his way of wanting to do things. Ratchis had sharpened his tongue into as effective a weapon as any other the burly half-man carried, and wielded it with an indomitable will that only a Friar of Nephthys could have. Months exposed to soft-headed, but good-hearted men like Jeremy, or men with impeccable conviction, but no real direction, like Martin, or frightened and ignorant commoners, and officious and reputation conscious as the alderman of Ogre’s Bluff (4), or simply selfish and bullying men like the constable of Ogre’s Bluff or Devon (5) had all served to do what years of living among orcs, or alone in the woods, or as a student of elder Friars of Nephthys could not do. Ratchis had become arrogant.

Again, they arrived at the monolith.

A fourth rope was set up the best it could to allow Derek to join Ratchis, Beorth and Kazrack on the initial descent. It would also allow quicker descent for those coming after.

The foursome had barely made it to the first ledge, when a shadowy figured swooped into the light that was once again emanating from Beorth’s head, thanks to Belear.

“I will take you this time,” the shadow hissed, but Beorth shifted his weight on the rope, and the undead thing flew right past him with a cold shiver.

Everyone tugged on their ropes to stop their descent. Ratchis cast magic stone once again, and kept an eye open for the thing. It did not take long. It swooped at the paladin again, this time found his target with a cold black claw. However, even as he felt what was left of his strength wane again, he swung his sword with the divine vengeance of his god. Again, he felt the feeling as if the blade had caught on something.

The thing shrieked. Ratchis cast a stone at it, but it missed, clattering among the sarcophagi. He began to swing back and forth on the rope with the strength of his toss.

The shadow circled and swooped and bobbed like an insect. Again, Beorth felt its cold touch drain even more strength from him.

“You power is strong in me this day, Anubis,” Beorth called out. “Please grant me an extension of that power through my blade.” Unfortunately, the blow slipped through the shadow’s essence without effect.

Kazrack and Derek were too far away to aid Beorth. The dwarf waited, readying himself to attempt the turn the thing if it looked like it might kill Beorth. They had agreed ahead of time to try to destroy the thing before sending it away to be faced again.

“Nephthys! Guide my hand!” Ratchis bellowed as he let loose another magic stone. This one passed through the shadow as if it were not there.’

The shadow cackled and spinning clawed Beorth once again. The paladin shuddered, and his sword felt heavy his hands. The shadow launched itself upward into the darkness of the narrower portion of the shaft and disappeared.

“Let us keep going down,” Ratchis said. “I will restore some of your strength down there.”

They tugged their signal and made it down to the level with the steps unmolested. There, Ratchis was able to restore some of Beorth’s strength.

It was agreed that Derek, Beorth and Kazrack would wait there while Ratchis accompanied the ropes back up and determined who would come down next. It was important that each group going down was accompanied by someone who could turn undead incase the shadow returned.

Actually, they did not have to wait long.

As Ratchis was being pulled up, the thing came at him, but Ratchis was ready. He still had an enchanted stone remaining from his previous spell, and he let it go at the thing. It struck the shadow dead on, and its form shattered as if he had been made of black stained glass and then melted into nothingness. It did not even have time to hiss or shriek.

“I got it!” Ratchis called down to his companions who had no idea what he was talking about.

End of Session #42

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes]/b]

(1) This was in session #39.

(2) Blodnath carries a box designed to be set into simulations of different kinds of traps and locks, which he used to keep his skills sharp and to train others.

(3) Ratchis joined the party outside of Tallow’s Post in session #5.

(4) Alderman William Ronald Silvestri was first encountered in session #19.

(5) Devon made his first appearance way back in session #3, but Ratchis did not meet him until session #6.

Last edited:

handforged

First Post
yippee!!!

I really enjoyed all of the combat during this session. I can imagine that it was quite tense around the table. As not everyone got to go down the ropes, were the other players upset about their lack of involvement? The part about Ratchis becoming arrogant was really nice writing (not that the rest wasn't).

I can't wait.

~hf

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
handforged said:
yippee!!!

As not everyone got to go down the ropes, were the other players upset about their lack of involvement?

Well, lucky the players who were not as directly involved were the ones who are better are respectfully and and quietly letting other players get their chance in the spotlight.

handforged said:

The part about Ratchis becoming arrogant was really nice writing (not that the rest wasn't).

Thanks! :D

handforged said:

I can't wait.

Hopefully you won't have to wait long - I feel like I am on a roll lately - and have already begun my next installment.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
session #43 (part one)

Session #43

Part One: Deeper into the dark…

“The last shadow has been destroyed,” Ratchis said, when he got back to the top of the shaft. “Everyone can come down and we can deal with the, …uh, dead things at the bottom.”

As the rest of the company of men and dwarves made their way down the shaft, Kazrack spent his time searching the lower level for secret doors. Derek made a half-hearted attempt to search as well, but the near-constant rustling and crying of the undead babies below made it hard for the young warrior to concentrate. He was sweating and feeling queasy. Beorth stood guard, vigilant for the arrival of some other undead menace.

In time they were all on the lowest level of the shaft, where they could look down by the light Beorth’s helmet (or using their darkvision) and see the writhing undead infants crawling over each other like mindless insects. On this level (from whence the skeletal warriors had emerged) were more square stone sarcophagi and no masks, but there was a wooden and painted statue of a gaunt man with a ram’s head.

Across from it was another statue, of a tall blue-headed gnoll with a morning star. It snarled with carved wood for teeth. It leaned over the low wall and its head stuck out into the shaft. Some sort of gray flesh was gooped on the top side, and dripped down into the babies.

There was a stark contrast between these primitive statues and the decor of the rest of this tomb.

Kazrack covered his mouth with the back of his hand as he looked down at the writhing infants.

“Perhaps we should call on out gods’ powers to end the suffering of these… infants, as it would be more merciful then plowing through them with weapons,” Kazrack suggested softly.

“I agree,” Ratchis replied.

Beorth’s helm blinked out, and the humans groaned. In a moment, Martin lit one of the party’s last remaining torches, and when it caught there was a sharp blue flare of the flame, with swirls of pink.

“Whoa!” Martin cried, flinching.

“Eh? That’s gas!” Kazrack was alarmed, and the dwarves all turned their heads to look at them.

“Is it dangerous? Should I put it out,” Martin looked even more bleached white than usual, the lack of sleep, the lack of desire for food; the circumstances of his first appointment by the Academy, it wearing heavily on him.

“If we enter a place with less ventilation you must be alert to the color of the flame changing,” Kazrack said.

“Feh. By then it’d be too late,” Helrahd croaked.

“If we know we are going to enter such an area we’ll put it out ahead of time and rely on the blessings of our gods,” said Kazrack.

“Hmph,” Helrahd spit. “And since we are going to the realm of sunshine and flowers we should expect to not have to worry about it.”

Kazrack’s jaw dropped. He was unused to being treated that way by a fellow dwarf. Helrahd walked away, passing Kirla, who twisted her beard-draped mouth and shrugged her shoulders, as if by way of apology for her brother. She was actually quite handsome by dwarven standards, but Kazrack turned back to the matter at hand.

“Too bad we don’t have a canary,” Kazrack said.

“What?” Martin was confused.

“A canary.”

“A what?” Now it was Beorth’s turn.

“If it drops dead you know there is poison gas, since it is smaller and its lungs are smaller,” Kazrack said. “Like when Thomas was paralyzed by the poison incense first when we were attacked by Mozek.”

Martin’s head drooped when the incident was mentioned. Beorth squinted and scratched his head and tried to remember what Jana has said about that encounter. (1)

“What we always said was, ‘bring a human in’,” Blodnath said, with a chuckle. “’Oops! The human died! We’d better get out of here in 3 or 4 hours it’ll effect us!’”

“I wonder how many dwarves died before you figured that out?” Jeremy said with ill humor.

“Eh? What is that supposed to mean?” Blodnath sneered at his sometime student.

“I say that if we had time,” Martin stepped between them and addressed everyone. “We should go back to town and get a few barrels of oil and burn this whole place down.”

“We don’t have time,” Ratchis said.

“Did anyone recognize the deities depicted in those statues above?” Beorth suddenly asked.

“One of them is obviously the gnoll god, Kesh,’ Martin said. “Or at least, I’d assume."

“The other is some meaningless human god,” Kazrack waved the question off.

“It seemed familiar,” Martin said, scratching his chin.

“A Ram! Duh!” Jeremy made a knocking motion at Martin’s head and pointed at Beorth.

“I think it is a good idea that we did not touch them,” Derek said nervously.

“Perhaps it is a gnoll good, too,” Kazrack combed his beard with his fingers, reconsidering his hypothesis. “I could see how they could worship a ram – some kind of god of prey.”

“It is Rahkefet,” Ratchis said. “Or at least, I think it is. He is supposed to be the son of Set, but I know little of him, as he was said to have passed during The Time Before.”

“The time before what?” Kazrack asked.

“Long ago, when the world was all a sea of sand,’ Ratchis replied.

“Oh, that’s an interesting story,” Kazrack said. “I remember something about that during that holiday we celebrated with you.” (2)

“Every race has its own story about what came before the known ages of history, but none can agree on what it was like,” Belear added.

“We are getting distracted from the gruesome task at hand,” Beorth said, waking over to the edge and looking down at the babies. They began to cry and cough again when they saw him.

Ratchis walked over to the edge and swung his holy symbol chain around, “Nephthys, I call on you to get rid of these horrid creatures that were put here to test our dedication to the cause of good by our enemies.”

There was horrible hissing sound and a burning smell that wafted up suddenly in the form of a wispy smoke. The babies were lit up and then they began to burn away as if they were paper dipped in oil and cast into a fire. The stench was terrible, but the sound was worse. The hissing filled all their ears, and then suddenly stopped. There was hardly a second of silence before the baby crying began again like a constant wail of pain and confusion.

Ratchis had succeeded in burning off a top layer of zombie baby with the divine might of his goddess, but there were still dozens left, crawling around and now screaming like frightened children. Everyone in the company cringed as their eyes revealed a horror, but their ears plucked at their heart’s strings, for what good-hearted person can stand to hear a child cry in that way?

“Oh gods!” Jeremy covered his ears. “ Somebody shut that up!” He was near tears.

“Lords and Lady, please end the suffering of these blighted creatures!” Kazrack intoned, as he walked over to the edge. Again, more of the zombie infants crumbled into dust with inhuman shrieks. Again, there were a few left crawling around at the bottom of the pit (another twelve feet deep) and crying out.

Ratchis hopped onto a rope and slid down halfway and called to his goddess again, “Nephthys, end these creatures’ suffering so we may move one and cleanse this den of evil.”

The sound of shrieking echoed up the shaft for a few more moments, and then died away.

Now that the zombie infants were gone, they all looked down to see the twisted remains of whatever apparatus once stood at the surface to raise things up and down. It looked as if it had once been a metal wheel, and a thick rope and a hook and bar of some kind. It was badly rusted and broken in pieces in many places. There were also a few rotten strands of straw of what might have been a basket things were lowered in.

They also noticed that the pit itself seemed to open into some kind of ramp that faced the front of the monolith above.

The ropes attached above reached all the way to the very bottom of the shaft, so Kazrack, Ratchis and Beorth grabbed ropes and made their way down. Once they were safely down, Blodnath, Derek and followed.

The smell was growing increasingly worse. Large waterbugs crawled in and out of cracks where the shining red eyes of rats could be seen cowering from the light. The ramp did not go far. It was a gentle slope that only went down about ten feet to a strange metal door with no visible hinges. It had two horizontal handles about six inches long on either side of it close to floor. The door was 10 feet high and ten feet wide.

Kazrack walked towards the doors.

“No! Wait! Don’t touch it!” Blodnath’s voices echoed up and down the shaft, and everyone was startled.

Kazrack stopped arm’s length from the door.

“Nephthys, grant me a portion of your all-seeing vision so I may see what might block our way in this awful place,” Ratchis intoned. In a second, he could see Jeremy’s short sword glowing faintly blue. Beorth’s shawl was iridescent and brighter. He looked at the door. There was a blazing sea-blue rune visible on the door at about five feet high.

“There is a rune on the door,” Ratchis said, and kneeling he traced it in the dust. (3)

“I don’t recognize it,’ Blodnath said, walking backward towards one of the ropes. “I’m not touching it.”

“I will open the door,” Kazrack said, turning to face the others. “My dwarven hardiness will allow me to shake off whatever ill-effect some foul and weak wizard might seek to cast upon me.”

“Whoa! Whoa, there!” Derek’s eyes narrowed, and his young face grew creased as if he aged twenty years in a moment, and then it was soft again. “Let’s not do anything hasty.”

Martin was called, and he examined the rune and began to think back to his classes at the Academy. The rune seemed to be based on the triangular warding runes of dwarven make, but the circles were all wrong. He scratched his head.

Kazrack tapped his foot.

Martin called for his bag to be lowered to him and rummaged in it for the black leather bound book that Richard the Red had given him as a gift for the Festival of Isis. (4) The mage flipped through the book for some time, eventually sitting down in the muck cross-legged, flipping through the pages and humming to himself. At times, he stopped looked at one page for a long time, but would inevitable flip the page with a snap and keep browsing.

Finally, he hopped up to his feet with an “A-ha!”

“You found something?” Kazrack’s face was hopeful.

“It is a glyph of a protective ward,” Martin announced proudly.

Ratchis’ shoulders dropped and he let out a big sigh.

“Uh, didn’t we know that already?” Blodnath snorted.

Derek and Jeremy began to laugh.

“It’s good to know that at the bottom of a shaft of some evil tomb, in a pit once filled with crawling zombie babies, facing a magically trapped door that could fry us all, you can all still make me laugh,” Jeremy coughed out and slapped his knee.

Derek seemed to have caught the giggles, too and placed a hand on the wall to support himself as he doubled over and grabbed his gut.

Everyone else just stared at them. Beorth imagined how satisfying it would be to grab the two young men by the scruff of the neck and bang their heads together. The image made the tickle of laughter nip at his threat – but he suppressed it.

“Well, there is more,” Martin finally said. “It is a sonic attack of some kind. It will likely deafen, perhaps even burst the eardrums with sounds. Of course, if Ratchis traced it wrong it could be a fear spell of some kind, but I don’t thing the triangles would be upside down then, and they’d have a pronounced flare to the left if following what is called the Abyssal school of Third Age Thricia, or curved like talons if of the eastern school of tribal rune-form.”

Silence.

Kazrack turned back to the doors. “Okay, so sound. That’s good, Martin. Thanks. That’s helpful, really. I could plug up my ears, or something.”

Jeremy and Derek giggled again, and Ratchis shot them a withering look. They were silent.

“I will open the door,” Kazrack said. “We have no other choice. I am most likely to resist some attack, and no other means of circumventing this ward.

“Belear could try to dispel it,” Martin offered with a shrug.

But the elder dwarf was called down, and cast his spell and it did not break the magic.

“I will open the door,” Kazrack repeated. “The rest of you should climb back up to the previous ledge in case it is an area effect.”

The others grudgingly agreed, and those that had climbed down, began to climb back up one by one. Beorth was to be last.

“Kazrack, are you sure you have the strength to do the job?” the ghost-hunter asked the dwarf.

“Of course,” Kazrack was grim faced.

Kazrack stood over by the left handle and realized that poor leverage would likely not allow him to open the door alone.

“This door is too wide for one,” Kazrack called.

Beorth let go of the rope, as he was about to climb. “I will come help.”

The two of them got back in their rope harnesses after Blodnath looped the ropes around supports for easier leverage, in case they needed to be pulled back up quickly.

The paladin grabbed the handle on the right. Above everyone looked over the side, with their hands over their ears and eyes wide open.

They counted to three and pulled up evenly and slowly. Inch by inch it crept up with the sound of twining chain and nothing had happened.

Kazrack looked over to Beorth and smiled, as the door was just about three feet open, and there was a sudden high-pitched sound that blasted from the door and echoed painfully up the shaft. The door rolled open the rest of the way as if caught by some counterweight. The hooded lantern that was still at the bottom of the shaft shattered and the place was plunged into darkness. Those above reflexively turned away from the shaft and doubled over in pain.

But in less than a second it was past.

There was no sound from below.

“What’s happening?” Martin asked aloud in the dark.

Ratchis shushed him and crawled over the wall and looked over and down.

At the bottom, Kazrack was lying on his side, with his arms around his head and his knees to his chest. Beorth was doubled over, and stumbled forward a few steps and then leaned on the wall.

Blood trickled from their ears.

“I’m alright,” Kazrack said overly loudly.

“We have no lantern, Beorth croaked, and then cried out. He felt the familiar pain of those bolts of cold black light strike him from the direction of the now open door on his left.

“We are under attack!” Beorth said. “We need light!”

------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) After Beorth lost his memory to the Pixie Curse (See Session #33), he gained most of his information about the party, its members and their adventures from Jana, the young witch of questionable background that once belonged to the party.

(2) Ratchis and the rest of the Fearless Manticore Killers shared a meal for one of the “Malar Days” (a nine day holiday commemorating the nine day ordeal of first priest of Nephthys (in her role as goddess of freedom) as he fled the Minions of Set) in session #15

(3) The rune was:
sonic_rune.gif

(4) The book was Runes, Sigils & Wards: Their Roots and Variations by Master of Wards Methuselal of the Academy of Wizardry (see session #38). It is a handy, but rare tome.

Last edited:

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
Thanks for the update, I really enjoy reading your story hour.
Is there some taint in the air in the Necropolis that causes negative emotions? There seemed to be more party friction than normal... or that might just be my lack of sleep :)

Remove ads