Overcoming DR

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Damror said:
I might be wrong, but this seems pretty easy to me.

I've always understood the barbarian's DR to be among the worst, not the best types of DR, as some people here seem to think.

The barbarian's DR of 1/- means that if you hit him with a silver, mithral, or other special material he takes full damage (see table 3-13).

Yes, you're wrong. :p

Look at the quote at the top of page 74.

Deadguy

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

Yes, you're wrong. :p

Look at the quote at the top of page 74.

To that, I would add that the Glossary at the back of the PHB puts it very well also, viz.:

Barbarians also have damage reduction as a class feature, but theirs is a special type that negates a set amount of damage from any source.

Note the "any source"... Barbarians are a specific exemption to the normal rules of Damage Resistance.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Damror said:
In that case I would reverse my previou opinion and say that yes, the barbarian can harm the 10/+1 creature.

Still, you must admit that there is some contention of the issue. Would you mind sending a letter to the Sage? ;)

MythandLore

First Post
NO...

I go with NO.
Barb, Dwarf Defender, etc, with DR X/- is DR that can't be bypassed.
It negates it from "any source", it's special, it's nothing.
Is nothing = to +1? No.
Is nothing = to +4? No.
Is nothing = nothing? Yes, but NOTHING can bypass "nothing".
So, it can't be used to bypass someone elses DR regadless of what the DR is be it X/+1, be it X/+4, be it X/-.
So a Barb can't use his DR to bypass another Barb's DR ether.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Damror said:
Umm.....

I might be wrong, but this seems pretty easy to me.

I've always understood the barbarian's DR to be among the worst, not the best types of DR, as some people here seem to think.

The barbarian's DR of 1/- means that if you hit him with a silver, mithral, or other special material he takes full damage (see table 3-13).

Only weapons that are not silver, mithral or other special material or of +1 or better enchantment are blocked by the barbarian's DR.

You did got it wrong.

What you're talking about is DR 1/silver. The "-" in 1/- means that nothing can overcome the damage reduction.

DMGp74: "If a dash follwos the slash ... then the damage reduction is effective against any attack that does not ignore damage reduction."

Followed later by, "Magical attacks and energy attacks ... ignore damage reduction."

A +1 weapon (frex) does not ignore damage reduction. Instead, it overcomes all damage reduction with a value x/1 or greater. (pp73-74).

Edit: You can end up submitting rather redundant posts when you don't read the second page of a thread.

Last edited:

Remove ads