Painted Privateer Press Miniature (where to buy?)

renau1g

First Post
We're in the process of potty training our boys and looking for that proverbial carrot to motivate one of the boys (who hasn't shown any interest and seems perfectly happy sitting in his own waste). He's been reading my old Dungeon magazines (when Paizo was running it) and came across an advert for the Privateer Press Warmachines/Horde miniatures and promptly decided that what he wanted was a Dire Troll Mauler from Privateer Press (picture below)

dire_troll_mauler.jpg

for his "toy" that he gets once he's all done his training. The friggin' thing is $37 just for the mini (unpainted and unassembled). Looking around on ebay it's like $100 for it painted...next time I'm picking the "toy"...

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option/venue as I don't want to paint it myself (as I have not the skill nor time for it and I've never painted one before).

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
dire_troll_mauler.jpg

for his "toy" that he gets once he's all done his training. The friggin' thing is $37 just for the mini (unpainted and unassembled). Looking around on ebay it's like $100 for it painted...next time I'm picking the "toy"...

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option/venue as I don't want to paint it myself (as I have not the skill nor time for it and I've never painted one before).

To get a decent quality paint job for a $37 miniature (I'm assuming it's HUGE or bigger in size for that cost) is going to run you a minimum of another $37 for a decent paint job on it.

However, a quick look on eBay shows I can buy it unpainted for around $25-27. Start there and then see if you can find an advert posted at your FLGS for miniature painting and see if you can find somebody that way.

Several years back, I had a local high school kid paint up a ton of miniatures for me for like $2-$3 each (human sized, and mostly armored human warriors). Unfortunately for me, the kid found Jesus & gave up gaming and painting.

If you don't have anybody local, you can just try googling "miniature painting service" and see what you can find. But, again, for that big a miniature, it is not cheap, no matter what. Maybe $50 total?

I've also sent minis over to Sri Lanka to get painted and had good results that way for low prices, but it's probably not worth it for a single miniature.

Pickles JG

First Post
As I am sure you are aware these big fierce dire trolls are not toys as they are pretty heavy & quite fragile really as the metal is soft in relation to its weight. The paint would also not stand up at all to handling by a small person.

I paint stuff & had my young nieces & nephews joining in age 4 & up. 4 is really too young to get anything done but could you make painting the DTM part of the reward?Buy white spray & pots of blue & red & a brush which would be << $50. Ebay a second hand model you can spray. (Obviously as I am childless I am unaware of the true practicalities of this).

Painted stuff is funny as averagely painted models go for about the same as unpainted so if you waited around you might well get a decent deal but of course it's unpredictable.

Aluvial

Explorer
I'll paint it for you for a good rate, but if I were you, I'd pick up a basic painting set and do it with your son.

I got into this whole hobby by painting minis with my father, I was around 8 or 9 at the time.

Reaper has a learn to paint kit that is pretty good.

Reaper Miniatures :: OnlineStore

I could do an decent job with that mini, but not quite as well as the picture (that's a pretty good job there). I wouldn't charge more then the mini itself... $30 seems about right + the shipping back to you. You could ship the original mini to me to save on shipping it twice. I would take about a week or so to work on it (time is short on my end). I could take pics as I go and even work with whatever colors you might want (or use the pic you gave as a guide). If you don't like the finished product, you wouldn't have to pay me, and I'll send you money for the mini.

That offer presented, I would think about doing it together with my child. I had a blast with my dad, and it really catapulted me (ha ha) into the hobby. I've been painting minis for about 30 years now because of the learn to paint set that I worked on with my dad. I still have the minis and use them in my game today. Those first paint jobs were not even tabletop quality, but I love each of them...

How old is your child? Oops, I missed the bit about potty training. With that in mind, forget what I said.

Aluvial

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
I paint stuff & had my young nieces & nephews joining in age 4 & up. 4 is really too young to get anything done but could you make painting the DTM part of the reward?Buy white spray & pots of blue & red & a brush which would be << $50. Ebay a second hand model you can spray. (Obviously as I am childless I am unaware of the true practicalities of this).

Painted stuff is funny as averagely painted models go for about the same as unpainted so if you waited around you might well get a decent deal but of course it's unpredictable.

I would agree with that - 4 years old is pretty young for miniature handling, especially since they can have sharp edges and the paint jobs can easily be chipped.

JustKim

First Post
A company called Southern Island had plans to release some Privateer Press toys. It looks like the only one they got out the door was a human guy. :(
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Warmachine-Lord-Commander-Coleman-Stryker/dp/B000NV0QD2]Amazon.com: Warmachine: Lord Commander Coleman Stryker: Toys & Games[/ame]

It's probably a stretch, but if you can get him on board for that, it seems much more age-appropriate.

renau1g

First Post
I would agree with that - 4 years old is pretty young for miniature handling, especially since they can have sharp edges and the paint jobs can easily be chipped.

I was concerned about the paint chipping.

A company called Southern Island had plans to release some Privateer Press toys. It looks like the only one they got out the door was a human guy. :(
Amazon.com: Warmachine: Lord Commander Coleman Stryker: Toys & Games

It's probably a stretch, but if you can get him on board for that, it seems much more age-appropriate.

That does seem better (and a better price). I might try to look around and see if I can find some action figure or D&D plastic mini that looks like the troll.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games

renau1g

First Post
I just saw that WoW has some minis out there and saw this one. Anyone have experience with them? Amazon seemed pretty positive.

8453_a_full.jpg

Remove ads