• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Painting Miniatures for Reavers of Harkenwold

Agatheron

First Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm an old(er) gamer (43), and the guys from my old high school D&D group has recently gotten back together after a 25 year hiatus. We've been playing 4th edition, and enjoying it immensely. The next time we get together, we'll be playing the encounter with Kalarel at the end of Keep on the Shadowfell. Next up, I am moving these guys into an upscaled version of Reavers of Harkenwold, followed by Madness at Gardmore Abbey, which should round them out to 10th level once all is said and done.

Anyway, I'm a miniature painter, having played various tabletop miniature games including Warhammer and many other variants over the past decades. I decided to pull some of that experience into providing (most) of the miniatures for H1. I've used a mix of Reaper, Games Workshop and Privateer Press miniatures, and the response from the guys is that it really adds something to the game.

Anyway, now that I will be leading them through Reavers of Harkenwold, I've been debating what I should use as base models to create a believable Iron Circle.

So far here are the miniatures I've picked up to make use of.

For basic Iron Circle soldiers, either as Rabble or as Brigands, I picked up a (small) box of Warmachine Cygnar Precursor Knights:

precursor-knights-cygnar-allies-unit.png

For cutthroats, I was thinking of using Croe's Cutthroats, also from the Warmachine Mercenaries line:

croes-cutthroats-unit.png

For the Iron Circle Adept:

image.php

I was thinking of using this guy for Nazin Redthorn:
high-exemplar-gravus.png

Some of these may look a bit over the top, but keep in mind I have upscaled it somewhat.

I have a few other possibilities for Iron Circle Soldiers/Brigands, including these guys:

32088_ExemplarErrantsPlasticWEB.jpg

Mostly because they have swords and crossbows. These minatures also happen to be in plastic as well.

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts? I really enjoy painting. My plan, of course, is to have all of the above done up in Iron Circle colours and symbols. There might be some mild conversion needed, but that's not a problem for me.

Last edited:

Agatheron

First Post
Just a quick addendum. I've discovered that I have enough crossbows and even some scimitar-like blades from other kits to convert about 5-6 of the Precursor Knights to Brigands, so I may not need to use the bottom set of figures. I'll just need to get more of the precursor knights to round out the troops.

To save a bit, both the Rabble and the Sentries will be the same models. The rabble just aren't smart enough to pull out their crossbows :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads