Painting minis; getting started

Mad_Jack

Legend
I bought some Vallejo paints. I'm going to give painting another try. It's been close to 20 years since the last time I tried.

At the very least, you might want to use a strong pair of reading glasses* while painting, if you don't have a stronger means of magnification. I keep a pair of cheap +3.75 glasses around for when I'm painting somewhere other than home and can't bring my regular painting set-up with me.
None of us are as young as we were 20 years ago, lol.

* Unless you have some horrible coke-bottle prescription because you're just generally half-blind, any dollar-store pair of reading glasses will do. If you have a Dollar Tree in your area, they're literally just $1.25 a pair...

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The first-gen Reaper Bones were made of a fairly hydrophobic plastic, which meant that thinned-out paints wouldn't stick particularly well. The plastic also didn't react well to a lot of spray primers, and occasionally remained sticky even months after priming. The generally-accepted solution was to prime them with brush-on primer before painting. (It was also discovered that, for some bizarre reason, Reaper's Brown Liner made for a really good primer.)
Later generations of figures didn't have that issue to the same degree as Reaper changed the formula of the plastic several times even before they changed to using their current grey color instead of the white. (And Bones Black minis use a slightly different formula in their plastic than the regular grey Bones.) Which may or may not indicate that the hydrophobic quality might be related to the amount of plasticizer in the mix...
As someone sitting on a mountain of Reaper Bones, this is great to know.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
At the very least, you might want to use a strong pair of reading glasses* while painting, if you don't have a stronger means of magnification. I keep a pair of cheap +3.75 glasses around for when I'm painting somewhere other than home and can't bring my regular painting set-up with me.
None of us are as young as we were 20 years ago, lol.

* Unless you have some horrible coke-bottle prescription because you're just generally half-blind, any dollar-store pair of reading glasses will do. If you have a Dollar Tree in your area, they're literally just $1.25 a pair...
I keep a pair of reading glasses in the car, in the bedroom, and living room. That way they're always within arms reach. lol I thought about magnification. My reading glasses are not that strong yet. I might invest in a pair for this reason though.

Mad_Jack

Legend
As someone sitting on a mountain of Reaper Bones, this is great to know.

If you have stuff from the first three Kickstarters, or from that era, you'll definitely need to wash it and should probably prime it (test your spray primer first to see if it leaves the test figure sticky even after it dries). Anything after that, priming is mostly a matter of choice, especially after they started using the grey color for everything. (Most folks painting for tabletop quality or higher still prime them anyway, however.)

Recently, they've begun using Siocast plastic resin for their new figures, and are transitioning the older ones over to it as well. It's a process that uses 3D printed masters, silicone molds and injection molding to combine the best aspects of traditional resin casting and injection molding.

I keep a pair of reading glasses in the car, in the bedroom, and living room. That way they're always within arms reach. lol I thought about magnification. My reading glasses are not that strong yet. I might invest in a pair for this reason though.

If you use glasses for reading already, I'd recommend picking up a pair of +3.75 or +4.00 lenses to use for painting. Even if you're just slapping a single coat of paint on them without highlights or shadows just to put them down on a table for your game, good clean lines are the basis of having good-looking minis and being able to see what you're doing makes painting good clean lines easier.
You might want to bring a mini to the store with you and try on a few different magnifications to figure out which is the best magnification for being able to see the mini as clearly as possible while still holding it at a distance that's going to be comfortable for you while painting it.

If you stick with the hobby, later on you should pick up a cheap magnivisor off of Amazon or somewhere.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If you have stuff from the first three Kickstarters, or from that era, you'll definitely need to wash it and should probably prime it (test your spray primer first to see if it leaves the test figure sticky even after it dries). Anything after that, priming is mostly a matter of choice, especially after they started using the grey color for everything. (Most folks painting for tabletop quality or higher still prime them anyway, however.)
I had first gen Bones I primed with Army Painter White that wasn't sticky.

Until two years later. All of them became tacky. The only way I've found that works is to avoid spray rattle cans. Use an airbrush.

MGibster

Legend
I finished up the rest of the starter box. Good times.

0DE45CBD-AAC7-4685-AD3F-555B6EC41587.jpeg

Remove ads