• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Paizo and 4e - Vive le Revolution!

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Rechan said:
Hell, it reminds me of my most recent player experience. The party walks in, finds the first guard post, kicks it in, spends two spells and a wildshape usage killing the guards... and the PCs just set up camp in the guard shack for 8 hours. Meanwhile, the entire complex is buckling down for the coming fight. The party honestly intended to explore the compound for several days, resting periodically in the badguys hideout. That's... utterly, utterly silly. Who drops a tent in the middle of the Baron's castle for a nap?

"We used an ounce of our resources, let's rest" is very video-gamey.

Errr, not from my experience with video games. ;) Video gamey would be if they simply tossed a few health potions and continued on, knowing that some soldiers, servants, chests or even statues would drop new health potions on the way, along with potions that restore spell slots. :lol:

Rechan

Adventurer
Geron Raveneye said:
Errr, not from my experience with video games. ;) Video gamey would be if they simply tossed a few health potions and continued on, knowing that some soldiers, servants, chests or even statues would drop new health potions on the way, along with potions that restore spell slots. :lol:
Well, all the bad guys in the compound did have a potion of healing. ;)

But no, I mean in video games where you walk into Room X and then quicksave. You stand there until your health or mana regenerates, then you go on.

In Oblivion, you had to sleep on a bed/bedroll before you could level up. So you could walk into the room with the bandits you just killed and sleep in their bedroll before continuing through the complex.

Rechan

Adventurer
Gundark said:
I'm not sure how this is different from any other rpg? I think it's acurate to say that MMOs are D&Dish
Not all rpgs are combat focused, or 'kill the monster' driven. Call of Cthulu and Paranoia come to mind immediately. Both are more about survival and roleplay than anything.

For that matter, a lot aren't even level based. They give you a single point that you can improve a single skill or ability by one. Werewolf/Vampire and HERO here.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Rechan said:
What MMORPGs are social and non-level based? :confused:
Well, since you asked, Ultima Online. It had a skill-based profession system in which you essentially trained your way up into whatever niche you wanted to fill. Also, it's one of the most socially-oriented MMORPGs I've ever seen. I know a girl who spent all of her time as an interior designer, using the various game items as props to decorate people's keeps. She was heavily in demand, and had a huge social network as a result.

That's not the sort of thing you can do in WoW.

Fobok

First Post
Rechan said:
What MMORPGs are social and non-level based? :confused:

As Dr. Awkward mentioned, Ultima Online. There's also EVE Online, where you can make a success of yourself entirely through trading or mining or manufacturing. Before 2005, Star Wars Galaxies too. I spent the majority of my time in that game performing in cantinas and crafting droids.

I've never played it to be sure, but also Silk Road Online is, I've heard, completely combat-free.

Xaaon

First Post
Geron Raveneye said:

Did you read the description of the Dragon fight in Design & Development? Just reading it sounded like an MMORPG fightwith a dragon. And I HAVE played lots of MMORPGs, everything I've read so far smacks of video game, in the end I may be proven wrong, but I'm still not switching.

DandD

First Post
Fobok said:
I've never played it to be sure, but also Silk Road Online is, I've heard, completely combat-free.
This you must have heard wrong or confused with another MMORPG. Silkroad Online is a typical Korean grindfest, where you happen to be able to make ingame money by trading, but you have to fight your way through monster-infested and Players-as-bandits zones, while relying on the protection of other players acting as hunters to trade your wares.
:D

Remove ads